“Pleasant but Pricey”

Price range: US$16 - US$33
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The Cliffe Kitchen is at the heart of the White Cliffs Hotel, it's the sort of place that's worth a detour if passing through Dover. The place attracts locals who often drop in for lunch, afternoon tea or dinner with friends in the often buzzing and lively atmosphere. There's daily changing Blackboard Menu with The Catch of The Bay and more. There's also a Seasonally Changing Menu with some perennial favourites such as Fish & Chips in beer batter with real proper chips and mushy peas, 28 day hung Kentish Beef with Béarnaise, Romney Marsh Lamb, Monkshill Farm Pork Chops, Rope-grown Mussels in scrumpy and more.
Reviewed 6 June 2018

The owners have obviously tried very hard and put a lot of thought into the interior design and appearance of this lovely old building. The tables looked beautiful, set with very attractive plates which were removed when we sat down. Costing £19 the small portion of fish I ate was expertly cooked but left me still hungry. We would have preferred it had we been offered a traditional pub menu and I bet this place would be more popular if it did.

Reviewed 29 May 2018 via mobile

The prices are high and the food is pretty good, but not exceptional. Our waiter didn’t have a handle on the menu and couldn’t tell us what flavour sorbets were available and failed to point out there was dairy free cake when he had been specifically asked what dairy free deserts were available. This is a super looking pub though with a nicely appointed garden to drink in. Just expensive and not achieving what is expected with that level of charging.

1  Thank Kimbrini
Reviewed 24 May 2018

Excellent place to eat staff extremely friendly sitting out in the garden was glorious on a sunny day the food was excellent

Reviewed 20 May 2018

Having a veggie Sunday lunch is always pot luck. Generally I’m content with nut roast and lots of veg. Today my veggie choice was potato dumplings with tomatoes, peas and cheese so I thought I’d give it a go. It was tasty but it was a tiny serving. The children around us had a bigger meal than I did! Fortunately I was able to share my husband’s vegetables. Dessert was the opposite with me having a decent portion of raspberry parfait and my husband having two tiny and melted scoops of ice cream. We have been here for sandwich lunch before and will stick to that in future.

Reviewed 13 May 2018

1st visit for Sunday lunch.I telephoned ahead yo make sure there was fish on kids menu when we got there 2hrs later they had sold out so at MY suggestion we settled on whitebait the other child had the roast chicken the stuffing accompaniment was just a ball of dried stuffing that looked undercooked.my self & my husband had the roast beef which was VERY VERY RARE &it had some very sweet veg not sure what it was on it the veg was cauliflower cheese but it was mostly broccoli green beans (undercooked) red cabbage & baby carrots which were full of water when bitten into the Yorkshire pudding tasted as though it had been made with a sweet batter mix!! & as usual the whole dinner was LUKEWARM even though the waitress said be careful of the hot plates.the dessert was no better kids had ice cream. My husband had ice cream which came as 2 separate scoops in th smallest dishes I've seen I had raspberry parfait with lemon curd & meringue the meringue was whipped egg white that had been shown the blowtorch the lemon curd had bits of what looked like short crust pastry that had fallen off a plate in passing & raspberry parfait tasted as though it had pepper in it & to finish it off there was a young man playing a saxaphone so loud you couldn't hear yourself speak .Although not overly expensive £60 with tip & the staff are lovely & very attentive .would I return not for Sunday lunch but may for a midweek lunch if we in area.