“Perfect Getaway and Helpful Staff - GREAT VALUE”

Hotel Rural Mar de Queo 2
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bertoa
Reviewed 17 June 2015

The accommodations at Rural Mar De Queo 2 far exceeded out expectations. My wife and I were traveling northern Spain for 20 days and just happened to see a small sign from the highway (AC 552) and took a chance. We asked to see a room and expected a price of $100 or more, but it was $60. Moreover, it included breakfast. Because we eat a non-gluten diet, one of the hosts decided to make us a special non-gluten breakfast at no charge.

I am 6'2" and the bath tub was extra long and allowed me to extend my legs. I know that sounds like a simple thing, but after traveling many days in a car, it was very nice. Also the bathroom was super clean and all the soaps and lotions were high end. Amazing for the low price we paid.

The WiFi was also super fast and the two gentlemen who run the hotel (Narcis and Quenten) were helpful and always available.

Room Tip: Showers and Bath in the large room are worth the extra 10 bucks.
  • Stayed: June 2015, travelled as a couple
Narcis B, Gerente at Hotel Rural Mar de Queo 2, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2015

Dear Mr. Timothy, First of all, thank for your staying at Hotel Rural Mar de Queo and it was a pleasure for us to lodge you in our hotel. We are glad that the bath was fine for you. Thanks again for your stay and we hope see you soon. Best regards, Narcís & Quentin

Reviewed 15 October 2012

I hate to be so critical but of the 12 hotels my mother and I stayed in during our Portugal/Spain holiday this was the ONLY one for which I have more than one complaint.
I made my reservation through Booking.com and had been travelling for 2 weeks already staying in many different places and receiving exactly what was advertised. Unfortunately here, the map placed the hotel totally in the wrong place and on arrival into the hotel and the public areas there was a really bad smell of shaving cream.
I was looking forward to the heated 'swimming pool' but it turned out to be a thalasso spa for which payment was expected!
The rooms although large, had very hard cheap mattresses that only had a thin very used sheet on top. I cannot understand why if only 2 rooms were booked that night did we have to have the worst?? The best investment to make in a hotel is good mattresses!
Also Wifi is advertised as available in the rooms, but apparently I was informed that it was only in the first floor rooms! (Of course we were on the 2nd!).
There was nowhere comfortable to sit in the public areas, the faux traditional Spanish furniture and decoration was not very warm and comforting at all.

Room Tip: Cannot comment on the other rooms, but mine had very hard cheap mattresses with no covers and thin v...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank Jen L
Reviewed 30 May 2011

We had the good luck to stay in this hotel.the place and the people were incredible they made our holiday there very enjoyable,and we will return.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank tonyplayablanca
Reviewed 13 July 2010

How lucky I was to stay in Mar de Queo for a couple of days before the tourists rushed in. Judging from the amount of google hits this is ONE place not to miss. Judging from my own experience, all 4 1/2 and 5 star reviews are not exaggerations.
The owners, Mario and Maria-José are the most interesting and service-orientated hosts I have ever met on all my travels around the globe. That's why I was so lucky: as I was there in May, they had lots of time for me, in spite of my very basic Spanish. If I did not understand them, they would rephrase and use different words so that I would.
They are active people who are passionate about their stunning house, which felt more like a castle to me (which disappointed Maria-José because she said, pressing her hand to her heart, "I want you to feel that this is your home".) This may sound sugary, but if you'd seen her body language, you'd know she was sincere.
Breakfast is good & plenty and has good variety. The bread is yummie and baked fresh every day.
It's clear to see that they do not shave an egg to improve their treasure. They are making improvements all the time (such as the new spa) and everything is done with taste and in line with what is there already. Mario is an expert artist at stained glass creations and when I was there he had just completed a 4 x 9 meter panelled creation for the local stained glass museum. Go figure, because he's not a spring chicken anymore. "Just bothering my knees a bit by now" he confessed, after having stood an entire day working on the project. Oh I could go on and on raving about these people and the place, but enough said!
Nicolette - a transplanted Hollander

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank dutchgypsy
Reviewed 4 June 2010

Booked for 2 nights through booking.com. On arrival the maid couldn't find our reservation and didn't speak English - eventually found in diary. Turns out that there is no restaurant in the evening which was a major problem as we were traveling on motorbikes and the place was in the middle of nowhere. Owner (who also didn't speak English) managed to get us a table in a local bar, with locals and did have a get value, simple meal. Rooms were good and the superior rooms were very good with large bathrooms with both bath and shower. Main problem for us was the lack of a restaurant... for this place you definitely need a car and be able to speak Spanish.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends
3  Thank Ncas
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bertoa
6.2 km away
4 km away
Balneario de Carballo
Balneario de Carballo
#3 of 3 in Carballo

Been to Hotel Rural Mar de Queo 2? Share your experiences!