US$173
US$57
Jungles Edge(Nosara)(Great Value!)
US$56
US$54
Bella Vista Mar(Nosara)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 28/07
US$89
Boutique Hotel Lagarta Lodge(Nosara)
US$241
Free cancellation until 04/08
US$150
Orbitz.com
The Gardens Hotel(Nosara)(Great Value!)
US$170
Villa Mango(Nosara)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 25/07
US$99
US$45
US$452
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 21 April 2015

The hotel architecture is really nice. The room was comfortable and clean.
There are minor issues that show the hotel had better days (i.e. balcony door lock that doesn't close, a toilet that is not attached to the floor).
There were few people in the property. The big restaurant only had 1 other table occupied the times we visit.
The included breakfast is a platter of fruit followed by rice and beans, a toast and your choice of eggs, plus coffee or juice.
Hotel staff in general does their job, but you would expect a little more of enthusiasm and better training. I've experienced a more 'welcoming' sensation around Costa Rica than at L'Acqua.
Some examples:
-A call to the front desk to inquire about not having hot water for the shower was answered with 'Did you try to move the knob a little bit to the sides? There's no problem but when maintenance finish his dinner will go an check'. 15 minutes later we received a call acknowledging the issue but the system will take 45 minutes to reset. (Problem solved, bad response)
-Restaurant service is hardly smile or make you feel comfortable. As the restaurant menu is very limited in vegetarian options (there's a vegetarian panini) we asked if it was possible to modify the 'casado' from rice and bean with meat to the same with steam vegetables (a common option in any little restaurant in Costa Rica), first answered was 'no changes, the chef will not allow it, but I will to talk with the cook'. The new veggie casado was delivered. Again, problem solved but service in general was sub par.
Restaurant is also expensive, so no wonder why is empty.

On a side note, if you plan to use the gym, you will be out of luck. The single treadmill is worn and the support board is bend to the inside. The SPA still shows the 'under repair' sign which, probably, will never happen.

Location: As other guest reported, the hotel is on the main dirt road about 1-2 miles from the beaches. If you don't have a car, you can rent an ATV or call for a Tuk-Tuk or taxi.

Restaurant (outside): We enjoyed La Luna in Playa Pelada. Looks like a popular place to see the sunset from the outside patio and making a reservation is not a bad idea.

Others:
Free Wi-Fi is available in common areas but it did reach our room too.
The welcome drink (juice blend) was nice.
In room safe is available (not large enough for a laptop but good size)
Mini fridge with a jar of water also available in room.
Some rooms are in the 3rd floor (elevator is only for luggage)
Transfer from Nosara Airport is 5 to 10 minutes.

Conclusion: I will probably look for other places in Nosara the next time we visit. The Harmony was not available for the days we stayed, but is by far in a better location. We also visited the Bodhy Tree and the yoga institute for a class, a dirty monkey smoothy at the juice bar and lunch (vegetarian buffet) and would probably my first choice in the future. They are usually booked for yoga retreats but it never hurts to check.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 April 2015

Really not worth the price!!! Breakfast is a la carte and anything you add will be charged ( piece of bread and tomatoes; $ 12)!!! The service is really bad and the employees are not enthusiastic or comprehensive!!

Stayed: April 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 March 2015

L'aqua viva hotel is really nice. We stayed March 14-20th during Spring break. Good bed linens and comfortable beds. Good towels and decorated in good taste with bamboo and dark wood furnishings. 5 pools all connected by wooden deck walk ways.
The staff is super professional and attentive. Ricardo the Manager is always at the front desk and takes care of everything.
We did find renting a car was a better way to get around instead of taxi's, because although it is really close to the beach and town, it is too dusty and unsafe to walk the short distance. The rental car places are right in town which is two miles from L'aquaviva.
Surfing here is the BEST ever! Perfect for everyone. The instructors at Tica surf shop are friendly and helpful and the waves work for every level of surfer. It is never too crowded because the beach is so long. It would be helpful to have small beach chairs for the beach. The hotel lends you umbrellas and towels, but the sand is clayish and dark, so chairs would be a great addition.
Overall, terrific for the price. Delicious local breakfast is included in your stay.
Only drawbacks:
Getting here- 5 hour flight and 2.5 hour car ride, some over very bumpy, dusty roads.
Rental car a must. Taxis are cheap and show up, but we found ourselves standing around in parking lots waiting until we got the rental. Spa was not open when we were here.
Not enough people know about this place. Very few people staying here while we were here and it is really great. Highly recommend.

Sent from my iPhone

Sent from my iPhone

Room Tip: Get rooms with pool view. Ours was the best room 301
  • Stayed: March 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 January 2015

Getting to the facility is a bit of an ordeal if you don't have a 4 x 4 or at least a vehicle with large tires that is well off the ground. You must travel over 30 kilometers on what can best be described as a 'cow trail.' We had a suite which has two floors. The set up is pretty good if you have kids who can sleep downstairs but the place only had a TV in the upstairs bedroom. The unit was spacious with quality furnishings and a deck on each floor with a woodsy view. Traffic was a little noisy at night. The king size bed was great with a terrific mattress. Breakfast was included and as we seemed to be the only people there service was great and we had a full breakfast at no additional charge despite their ad saying it was a continental breakfast. We had one lunch which was a bit bland and overpriced but the dinner was better. All the staff were very helpful. There were several large pools but none of them seemed to be over 4 1/2 feet deep and one had what appeared to be an oil slick plus a lot of dirt washed up on the side. We spent most of our time away from the hotel so our room choice was probably wrong. The cost of $300 per night could have been cut by about $100 per night by staying in a standard room. If we go down that road again I will probably seek a more modest facility as we feel we overspent for what we received.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the road.
  • Stayed: January 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank James D
Reviewed 28 January 2015

I recently stayed at Acqua Viva and had a wonderful time. This hotel is one of the most gorgeous properties I've ever seen. Even though you are right off the main road, as soon as you step on property, you feel as if you are in the middle of the jungle. The staff were incredibly friendly and helpful and seem to really want to make your stay enjoyable. The rooms were unique and spacious. We were told December is an incredibly busy time, but as noted in other reviews, January was very slow. We maybe saw 10 other people there total during our duration, however this didn't bother me either way.

The breakfast included was fantastic. We ended up eating there every morning and ordered the same thing: ranchero eggs. Someone in an earlier review said the food was bland, but I didn't think so at all. The cumin sauce they served with the breakfast was so good I would put it on anything.

The only cons I have are the noise from the road. Dirt bikes are the main form of transportation in Nosara and you will hear them morning and night. I don't think this is exclusive to Acqua Viva however. I bet anywhere you stay in Nosara you will hear trucks and dirt bikes. The AC in the rooms does help to drown it out.

Also, you will need a car to get to the beach. You COULD walk along the winding, dirty, rock filled main road to get to the beaches, but I wouldn't recommend it. Driving to the beach didn't bother me, as it was a small price to pay to feel so secluded.

As a tip (that has nothing to do with Acqua Viva), Nosara's roads are awful. No matter what anyone tells you, do not get an economy car even in the dry season. We were told by a local that a small car would be fine and rented a Yaris with wheels that were basically spares, and we regretted it. The roads are made up of large and small sharps rocks and dirt. Every time I was in my car, I was worried about popping a tire or having a rock fly up and crack a windshield. Not to mention the bottoming out that happened when driving over Nosara's man made speed bumps. It still cost $220 for a Toyota Yaris for 3 days, so I would have rather spent a bit more money for an SUV.

The highlight of my stay was meeting Manolo, the local capuchin monkey that comes by the restaurant for a banana.

The property is gated and has a guard stationed 24/7 to let guest in and out. They are meticulous about checking your license plate to make sure you are a guest. This is a wonderful bonus, though I didn't feel unsafe in Nosara.

There were always staff around, cleaning the pools, sweeping the walkway, trimming the landscaping. The attention to detail did not go unnoticed by me.

Overall, I loved this place and my first trip to Costa Rica. I will be returning!

• Stayed: January 2015, travelled as a couple