“Hidden gem”

L'Acqua Viva Resort And Spa
Ranked #20 of 22 Hotels in Nosara
Reviewed 19 March 2015

L'aqua viva hotel is really nice. We stayed March 14-20th during Spring break. Good bed linens and comfortable beds. Good towels and decorated in good taste with bamboo and dark wood furnishings. 5 pools all connected by wooden deck walk ways.
The staff is super professional and attentive. Ricardo the Manager is always at the front desk and takes care of everything.
We did find renting a car was a better way to get around instead of taxi's, because although it is really close to the beach and town, it is too dusty and unsafe to walk the short distance. The rental car places are right in town which is two miles from L'aquaviva.
Surfing here is the BEST ever! Perfect for everyone. The instructors at Tica surf shop are friendly and helpful and the waves work for every level of surfer. It is never too crowded because the beach is so long. It would be helpful to have small beach chairs for the beach. The hotel lends you umbrellas and towels, but the sand is clayish and dark, so chairs would be a great addition.
Overall, terrific for the price. Delicious local breakfast is included in your stay.
Only drawbacks:
Getting here- 5 hour flight and 2.5 hour car ride, some over very bumpy, dusty roads.
Rental car a must. Taxis are cheap and show up, but we found ourselves standing around in parking lots waiting until we got the rental. Spa was not open when we were here.
Not enough people know about this place. Very few people staying here while we were here and it is really great. Highly recommend.

Sent from my iPhone

Sent from my iPhone

Room Tip: Get rooms with pool view. Ours was the best room 301
  • Stayed: March 2015, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for L'Acqua Viva Resort And Spa

Reviewed 28 January 2015

Getting to the facility is a bit of an ordeal if you don't have a 4 x 4 or at least a vehicle with large tires that is well off the ground. You must travel over 30 kilometers on what can best be described as a 'cow trail.' We had a suite which has two floors. The set up is pretty good if you have kids who can sleep downstairs but the place only had a TV in the upstairs bedroom. The unit was spacious with quality furnishings and a deck on each floor with a woodsy view. Traffic was a little noisy at night. The king size bed was great with a terrific mattress. Breakfast was included and as we seemed to be the only people there service was great and we had a full breakfast at no additional charge despite their ad saying it was a continental breakfast. We had one lunch which was a bit bland and overpriced but the dinner was better. All the staff were very helpful. There were several large pools but none of them seemed to be over 4 1/2 feet deep and one had what appeared to be an oil slick plus a lot of dirt washed up on the side. We spent most of our time away from the hotel so our room choice was probably wrong. The cost of $300 per night could have been cut by about $100 per night by staying in a standard room. If we go down that road again I will probably seek a more modest facility as we feel we overspent for what we received.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the road.
1  Thank James D
Reviewed 28 January 2015

I recently stayed at Acqua Viva and had a wonderful time. This hotel is one of the most gorgeous properties I've ever seen. Even though you are right off the main road, as soon as you step on property, you feel as if you are in the middle of the jungle. The staff were incredibly friendly and helpful and seem to really want to make your stay enjoyable. The rooms were unique and spacious. We were told December is an incredibly busy time, but as noted in other reviews, January was very slow. We maybe saw 10 other people there total during our duration, however this didn't bother me either way.

The breakfast included was fantastic. We ended up eating there every morning and ordered the same thing: ranchero eggs. Someone in an earlier review said the food was bland, but I didn't think so at all. The cumin sauce they served with the breakfast was so good I would put it on anything.

The only cons I have are the noise from the road. Dirt bikes are the main form of transportation in Nosara and you will hear them morning and night. I don't think this is exclusive to Acqua Viva however. I bet anywhere you stay in Nosara you will hear trucks and dirt bikes. The AC in the rooms does help to drown it out.

Also, you will need a car to get to the beach. You COULD walk along the winding, dirty, rock filled main road to get to the beaches, but I wouldn't recommend it. Driving to the beach didn't bother me, as it was a small price to pay to feel so secluded.

As a tip (that has nothing to do with Acqua Viva), Nosara's roads are awful. No matter what anyone tells you, do not get an economy car even in the dry season. We were told by a local that a small car would be fine and rented a Yaris with wheels that were basically spares, and we regretted it. The roads are made up of large and small sharps rocks and dirt. Every time I was in my car, I was worried about popping a tire or having a rock fly up and crack a windshield. Not to mention the bottoming out that happened when driving over Nosara's man made speed bumps. It still cost $220 for a Toyota Yaris for 3 days, so I would have rather spent a bit more money for an SUV.

The highlight of my stay was meeting Manolo, the local capuchin monkey that comes by the restaurant for a banana.

The property is gated and has a guard stationed 24/7 to let guest in and out. They are meticulous about checking your license plate to make sure you are a guest. This is a wonderful bonus, though I didn't feel unsafe in Nosara.

There were always staff around, cleaning the pools, sweeping the walkway, trimming the landscaping. The attention to detail did not go unnoticed by me.

Overall, I loved this place and my first trip to Costa Rica. I will be returning!

2  Thank downtownreo
Reviewed 25 January 2015 via mobile

We had a lovely experience in this beautiful hotel. The restaurant and bar are located in a fantastic huge ranch. The food and service are delicious. Our kids loved the swimming pool. The standard rooms are ok and some are noisy, make sure yours is away from the street. Many beautiful beaches are close by, though you need a car to access them.

Stayed: January 2015
Reviewed 20 January 2015

It is indeed a very nice hotel, and I would stay there again if needed, but I believe it's a little bit overpriced for what you're getting. The kids playground inside the restaurant and the white lighting in the rooms kind of downgrades the nice interior design. I tried calling to make this reservation but I didn't get an answer for hours, so I had to do it online. Lucky I called to confirm because I was arriving late and I didn't know the front desk closes at 10pm.

• Stayed: January 2015, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel