Lowest prices for your stay
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
US$224
View deal
Expedia.comUS$224
Hotels.comUS$224
Agoda.comUS$224
eDreamsUS$224
PricelineUS$224
CheapTicketsUS$224
All reviews al chile perfect surf free breakfast coffee maker wonderful stay low tide liberia airport min walk every morning can't wait to go back howler monkeys paz sink playa coconut roomy jose
Selected filters
Reviewed 20 May 2020

I have been quite remiss in writing my review since we were there in June of 2019! This is one of the best hotels I’ve ever stayed at, filled with employees who really made everything perfect for us.

My son and I were there for week, after which I my husband met us and we stayed for an additional 3 days. I communicated extensively with Alejandro via email (I hope he’s still there) and he answered all of my questions and arranged a shuttle for us from Liberia to the hotel. The reception people, Alejandro, Paz and Jose, were incredible! Paz arranged for us to see turtles laying eggs on Ostional Beach, such an unforgettable experience! Jose helped me find a doctor for our son for an ear infection and then arranged transportation for us to a pharmacy in Nosara. And Alejandro took time to write driving directions from the Liberia airport for my husband who doesn’t speak or read a lick of Spanish. All 3 were incredibly helpful and friendly.

My son and I first stayed in room 6, which had a double and single bed. There’s a little kitchen counter with a sink, dishes, coffee maker, and refrigerator. The bathroom was nice and roomy. Everything was immaculately cleaned every day and the two cleaning ladies were exceptionally nice, even when my son dumped his collection of rocks and shells on the porch. No tv but the WiFi was exceptional.

Right before my husband arrived, we transferred to a larger upstairs room, which was almost too big! We couldn’t believe the size of the room! The kitchen area had a table and we now had a queen or king bed and a single/daybed for our son. The two cleaning ladies and Alejandro even helped us move all of our stuff!

The property is small, but filled with lush plants. I felt surrounded by green and blooms were everywhere. It seems that everything was grown there for use in the Al Chile restaurant on property. The pool is a nice size and there’s an outdoor shower to rinse off after being at the beach. Howler monkeys are frequent visitors in the trees above!

And the restaurant! Free breakfast, for which I ate homemade granola and yogurt and my son had pancakes every morning. Good coffee, too. We pretty much ate there for every meal and really got to know the staff, waiters and bartenders alike. The food was so good and we fell in love with the yucca fries and I with the passion fruit margaritas. The staff was very proud of how sustainable the hotel and restaurant are.

The beach is a short walk from the hotel. We loved it, but please ask where the two riptides are! My son took surf lessons from Coconut Harry’s. At low tide, there’s an area of tide pools to explore.

When it came time to drive up to our next stop, Playa Hermosa, I was in tears because I didn’t want to leave! Everyone felt like family at this point and I dream of returning. We liked Playa Hermosa but the hotel was kind of gross, such a comedown from the Sunset Shack.

So please do yourself a favor and stay at the Sunset Shack. You won’t regret it!

Date of stay: June 2019
Reviewed 12 February 2020

Great spot to stay! Very friendly and helpful staff. The rooms were spacious and very clean! Great restaurant and bar! The location and walk to any where around town and the beach is great. If you come to Nosara, this is the place to stay!

Date of stay: February 2020
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Alonso S, Director de Relaciones Públicas at The Sunset Shack, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2020

Hola!

Thank you for taking the time to comment, we will be waiting for your next visit to Nosara and our Hotel.

Pura Vida!

The Sunset Shack Hotel

Reviewed 14 January 2020 via mobile

3 min walk from great surf breaks, excellent complimentary breakfast (also great for dinner on site). Comfortable room, mellow staff, everything as advertised. Lots of nearby restaurants and surf shops. We’ll be back for sure.

Date of stay: January 2020
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Alonso S, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at The Sunset Shack, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2020

Hola Jeff,

Thank you for sharing with us your great experience in our Hotel, restaurant, and beach.

We will wait for your next visit soon.

The Sunset Shack Hotel

Reviewed 16 July 2019

We chose Sunset Shack because it was an affordable option right down the road from the Nosara Language Institute, where my sons and I took Spanish classes. This hotel did not disappoint. Very comfortable king bed and 2 twin beds for my kids. The setting is beautiful and right across the street from Harmony Hotel where we ate lunch in a lush tropical setting. Breakfast included is good and we enjoyed after-dinner drinks at the Sunset Shack restaurant. The service at the restaurant could be friendlier, but Jose at the front desk was a real gem. So friendly and helpful and he speaks very good English.

Date of stay: July 2019
Alonso S, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at The Sunset Shack, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2019

Dear Stanfordtraveler45,

We appreciate your comment and visit, we hope to have you and your kids back with us soon!

The beach and sunset are waiting for you

Reviewed 2 May 2019

The Sunset Shack is a high quality boutique surf hotel in a great location. The design is highly functional and cool. A few steps to Al Chile the onsite restaurant is so nice. Behind it is Tica Massage - highly recommend. Harmony is across the road where there is a juice bar, yoga, massage, and restaurant. I wish this place would stay a secret so I can always get a room, but giving them their due credit is the right thing to do.

Date of stay: April 2019
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Alonso S, Director de Relaciones Públicas at The Sunset Shack, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2019

Hola Peter,

Thank you so much for your comment, we highly appreciate you sharing your experience.

We hope to have you back soon with us!

Sunset Shack Hotel