“Long overdue review”
Review of etch.

etch.
Ranked #2 of 336 Restaurants in Hove
Price range: US$66 - US$197
Description: Restaurant by Masterchef winner Steven Edwards Menus focus on using fresh produce from in and around the surrounding Sussex countryside.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I have been meaning to write this for a few months now so here goes..this is the second time we have had the pleasure to eat at etch, the first one was about 6 months after opening and it was amazing so I could not wait to go back.

I brought my mom and her boyfriend from the states, who have never eaten at a restaurant of this calibre and were a bit nervous about whether they would like the food but as I hoped they would, they found the food delicious and enjoyed every course of the 9 courses we had. As someone who is gluten free I was also well catered for.

The service is perfect, knowledgeable and patient but not over whelming and Stephen speaking to tables is very appreciated and makes a huge difference. We did not do the wine pairing this time, but last time it was perfect and very interesting, I loved trying Chinese ice wine!

Every course was delicious and stood out which is hard to normally execute in a 9 course menu but the team manages to achieve it. The fact that all of the ingredients on the menu are so familiar puts people like my mom at ease and then the skill of elevating them to Michelin calibre dishes is the trick. I can't wait to go back and in fact have book my staff Christmas party in so I can selfishly go again!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

As with all the other reviews this place is amazing. The service was friendly yet professional. The food was sublime, the flavours from some of the dishes were such a surprise.

I was expecting it to be of a high quality and all my expectations were met.

We went for the 9 course menu with a couple of added treats included too. We were there for 4 hours although it didn't seem that long. The dishes were spread out really well

Thanks for an amazing evening. Will certainly be back.

Reviewed 7 September 2018 via mobile

Well this has to be the best culinary experience i've ever had the opportunity to experience in England.

The menu is a specially crafted tasting menu which changes depending on the season. You can choose betwèen 5 and 9 courses (we opted for 9 and although full we just couldn't resist trying everything ... a bit like a child at christmas when you think all the treats can't get any better but they magically do). Each course is small but bursting with flavour which is enhanced by the fantastic choices of wine perfectly paired to accentuate the flavours of each wonderfully created course and for those not wishing to drink they also have the most unusual and incredible non-alcoholic drink pairing quite unlike anything i've ever had the delight to try before... in fact everyone at our table was as intrigued to smell and sip the incredible aromatic and delicious non-alcoholic tipples as they were the wines ... although it has to be said everyone also had their favourite wines too.
Not only is this a completely exciting adventurous journey for the pallette but the staff are fabulous, tremendously knowledgeable, very warm and welcoming whilst offering exceptional service.

The prices are a little more than the average restaurant but this is far from average and in my opinion the whole creative and incredible experience is exceptional. A night at Etch and sampling the best of Sussex freshly grown produce is worth every penny and more and as someone who has always held France and Italy on a pedestal when it comes to incredible food i'm so proud and pleased to see British chefs such as Steven Edwards and his talented team are putting us on the culinary map as one of the finest.
Thank you all the team at Etch for a fantastic night ... I can't wait to come do it again.

1  Thank LizmacLondon
Reviewed 5 September 2018

Consistent quality of food, service and personal attention throughout by Stephen makes this format an absolute winner. Fresh menus every month and great vegetarian options.

Reviewed 3 September 2018 via mobile

We were a party of seven, celebrating an important family birthday and enjoyed a wonderful evening in the perfectly sized private dining room. The staff provided professional, attentive and friendly service; the food was very, very good! We struggled to chose favourites amongst the many delightful morsels we were served - with every course being enjoyed! There was very little to fault the entire evening - with the scratchy plates being all we could think of, as it meant we made a noise as we tried to scrape every last bit from our plates!! Highly recommend this for a special night out!