Hotel Porto Mar(Matosinhos)
US$75
  • Room Service
Fishtail Sea House(Matosinhos)(Great Value!)
US$57
  • Free Internet
Habana Motel(Matosinhos)
Free cancellation until 27/07
US$76
All reviewsold houseprivate parkingfree wireless internetprice includesa simple continental breakfastcable tvminute walkstayed herebathmetro
Reviewed 11 February 2017

I feel bad criticising this historic two star hotel as it really must be lovely in the summertime. Add to that the fact that the staff are really friendly and helpful, and that the hotel is spotless, and I even have to ask myself what on earth I could say that wasn't in full support? I love quirky small family hotels in small seaside towns.
So, first it was the stairs. There were stairs and steps everywhere, down into reception, down again into the breakfast room, and a set of stone stairs up to the bedrooms.In the bedroom there was a steel-edged step up into the ensuite, which led into a step down. I don't do steps and stairs easily. I'm getting on a bit.
So mostly this is an accessibility issue, and if I'd known about the steps and stairs, I wouldn't have booked, despite the good things. Accessibility issues can be problematic.
Next it was the noise. I'd fallen asleep at 11.30 and at 12.00 a new party came in, talking to each other and opening and closing the bedroom doors which were very clunky. Once awake I often can't get back to sleep. This was one of those times. We forget so easily that soundproofing isn't a feature of historic homes. In fact with the high ceilings and wooden floors sound is often amplified.
So I paid up and left. It just wasn't for me. That's all.

Stayed: February 2017
Reviewed 8 June 2016

Stayed in a family room right next to the entrance / reception. Staff were very friendly (limited English). The room was very comfortable, shower was excellent and room was clean. The wifi doesn't work well outside of the reception area and being so close to the entrance meant having to hear inconsiderate guests arriving from late nights out coming in which is not the hotel's fault but if we came back then I'd ask for a room away from the entrance to avoid this inconvenience.

Room Tip: Steer clear of the rooms near the front door if possible
  • Stayed: June 2016, travelled with family
Senhor-Matosinhos, Gerente at Hotel Senhor de Matosinhos, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2016

our best regards,

Reviewed 27 May 2016

It's a relatively small hotel for the price conscious tourists. However, the friendly and accommodating attitude of the staff more than compensates for it. If you're looking for a comfortable bed and a clean shower after a long day in Porto I would recommend this place. It is a short walk away from the beach and two metro stations, which makes it really handy however you're planning your next day. I myself will surely consider it on my next visit in Porto.

• Stayed: May 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank tomasz k
Senhor-Matosinhos, Gerente de recepção at Hotel Senhor de Matosinhos, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2016

our best regards,

Reviewed 24 April 2016

All that one wants in a basic hotel. Central location near to scores of restaurants, Clean, sizeable rooms, en-suite toilet/shower, good TV, quiet, easy parking, breakfast included, helpful staff (better no doubt if we spoke Portuguese - but this is our problem), all at a good price

• Stayed: April 2016, travelled as a couple
manager_srm_pn, Gerente de relações públicas at Hotel Senhor de Matosinhos, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2016

best regards,

Reviewed 24 March 2016

Beware if arriving by car as the hotel car park entrance is narrow from a busy small street.The staff look like 'clinic' personal with very little if any English but we had a laugh and got by.The room(27) was long but narrow with firm beds and not much of a view.The room sadly didn't have tea/coffee making equipment but had a small fridge,a little tv with some English channels.The breakfast was of typical continental style in a downstairs room with a low ceiling.Metro into Porto is about 500 yards away,plenty of places to eat in the area.

• Stayed: March 2016, travelled as a couple
manager_srm_pn, Gerente de relações públicas at Hotel Senhor de Matosinhos, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2016

best regards,