All reviews air con pool area scrambled eggs and bacon nice reception area the main strip minute walk yogurt snack bar mini fridge restaurants and bars sea view great pool within easy walking distance short break quiet end hotel bar stunning beach
Reviewed 17 September 2018

Visited the Hotel LUAR in September for the first time. The hotel is ideally situated close to the resort area of Pria de Rocha within easy walking distance of the shops and restaurants. The pool area is clean with plenty of sun loungers and chairs and there is a small pool side bar/cafe. The rooms are adequate but basic, the bathrooms are tired with fittings in need of replacement. The staff are very friendly and helpful and the housekeeping service is efficient. We had breakfast only twice and found it dismal and uninviting and headed for Taffy's Bar about 200 yards away. Overall, the hotel is adequate but in desperate need of investment if it is to compete in the future. No more than three stars.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Nick R
Reviewed 12 September 2018

I booked a room in July at the Luar for one adult and two children for five days. However, the week before, my wife found that she was able to go after all and I tried to add a second adult as well as request a travel cot. My thought was, as we had a double, that we could squeeze our 12 yr-old between us and put the 2 yr-old in the cot. Or I could take our travel cot (which I did in the end).

The woman I spoke with was exasperated with my request before I could even finish it-letting out audible sighs. 'No, you cannot have a cot (sigh). You have a room with two singles and one is for a 12 year-old-which is an adult!'

I read her my online reservation: one adult-2 children.

'Well, that is not what we have (sigh). You booked through an agency and not us (Expedia). This is what happens! We have only one child booked. And you cannot have another adult! There is no room.'

I was polite. I explained my situation. Maybe she was the only person on the desk, but she sure seemed anxious to move me on whether I took the room or not. I asked if there was a larger room or a second one near mine and that my wife and I would split the children.

'(Sigh) No there is no other room. This is the high season! You need a suite.'

I asked if I could have a suite.

'No! (sigh) There are no suites available!'

I asked to speak with a manager. She called out to someone saying in Portuguese 'Some English wants a different room,' (Eu fala Portuguese) and then I had the next rude person on the line.

'No there are no more rooms and, no, you cannot have two singles with one child sleeping between you and a cot because,' and I quote, 'the rooms are not that big and you will complain. I know you will complain!'

I asked what she would suggest and she said another hotel.

So, I found another larger room elsewhere and cancelled my room with the Luar.

But, even without staying there, they were right-I did complain, but about such rude service.

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
3  Thank clevelandbcc
Reviewed 4 September 2018 via mobile

Great location, clean, great pool, good breakfast, good rooms stayed here for a week and i seriously could not find anything wrong. Would stay again. Everyone else just must look for something to complain.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Viviane W
Reviewed 5 August 2018

Booked in here while driving around Algarve coast. Large hotel with good pool. We were given option of sea view room for €30 per night extra and we paid that. We were fooled because you had to go to the side balcony whereby you looked left and saw the sea in the distance. So don’t bother with sea view option unless you get a front view of the sea. Tv not working at 2.00 pm on check in. Reported it immediately at reception and was told an engineer would attend to it. Went to the beach and returned at 6.30pm and it was still not sorted. Reported a second time and it was finally fixed when we returned to room after dinner about 9.00pm. Not good enough really. Breakfast was buffet style and average. Not great value overall.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
3  Thank Donie O
Reviewed 12 July 2018 via mobile

Booked with Hotel Luar in Praia da Rocha, Portugal for a week. Very disappointed. The staff doesn't seem to care about the guests and the facilities in the our room is not the greatest. First, the rooms are suppose to be cleaned every day, the first 2 days everything went without a hitch. The third day, we placed the clean our room sign on the door at 10AM one day, it took some complaining and almost 2 days to have the room cleaned. It finally got cleaned at 4:30PM the following day. No plug in the bathroom to plug a hair dryer or electric razor in. Only 1 card key is given, the electricity in the room is only connected when the card is placed in, a slat by the door. Cannot charge cell phones or tablets while at the pool or beach. Could use more electric plugs in the room. The only good thing I can say about the is the pool area with the snack bar/restaurant, very handy.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family