All reviews air con pool area scrambled eggs and bacon nice reception area the main strip minute walk yogurt snack bar mini fridge restaurants and bars sea view great pool within easy walking distance short break quiet end hotel bar stunning beach
Reviewed 4 August 2017 via mobile

Returned from a lovely holiday in Praia da Rocha on Wednesday.
The room is very basic and compact but it does have aircon and housekeeping call often. They were also good enough to give me a kettle for my room.
The shower although basic had fantastic power and was spacious.
Reception was always friendly and there is free wifi in that area, you can also pay extra for wifi in your room but it's not very strong.
The pool is stunning and there is also a bar/snack food area, although prices are high for that resort so you're paying for convenience.
The price for this hotel at this time was pretty high so I'm not sure I would be so quick to book it again.

The view from the hotel is stunning and if you walk out the pool gates you are at the steps for the beach and just a minute from the strip.
Breakfast was not good to be fair. I was aware that it was a continental breakfast but it's was poor. Scrambled egg and bacon (that tasted funky-not fresh if that makes any sense), cheese, ham, coffee, tea, cereal, bread and jam. Some fruit would have been very welcome.

All in all it was a nice hotel that was close to everything but I do feel that it was over priced for what you get. If it wasn't for the view and the proximity of the hotel I would only give it an average.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
3  Thank BernieMcGrath
Reviewed 3 August 2017 via mobile

Terrible old hotel, go somewhere else. Fisrt, doorlock is a key and the lock is only by the an old lock. The safelock is not included and i have doubt on real safety of the lock so we didn't take it. The air conditioning way too cold and could not be adjusted, I had to stop it. 3 lights on 4 were not lightening and I couldn't read in the room. Matresses were soo hard that my arms, hips and legs felt numbs. We could ear everything in other rooms. We didn't sleep during the 3 nights. Breakfast was also terrible, no fruits, bad coffee, kind of a cheap selfservice to take our utensils. The next days we rather to pay for breakfast at restaurant. We also had to pay for WiFi in our room. I think we already gave enough money to this hotel they should give us extra to compensate. Water from shower has no pression, i had to hold with my hand to shower. Don't look too much on the floor and the ceiling. Also found some stain on headbed with my uv lamp... wonder what it is, tried not to think about it. TV lost signal acter 5 minutes and only 7 portugese channel. Don't go to this hotel to relax but just for the beach which is near, the only positive thing. Everything is old and no maintenance has been done.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
4  Thank FrequentFlier723684
Reviewed 25 July 2017

Spent 10 days at Luar and having read a fair amount of comments about the hotel I think they are fair by and large. The breakfast is crap but we were able to get rolls and fill with ham and salami and cheese so we saved a few quid on lunch. Taffys 500 meters away is very good for breakfast and they are lovely in there. The pool is large and very clean the sunbeds and umbrellas need replacing.
The rooms and lifts need updating, it looks like they have not been touched since 1995 and the noise from the Air Con and Fridge proves that but they were clean. With a some investment this could be a diamond of a hotel given its perfect location.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
4  Thank j0nesy145
Reviewed 14 July 2017 via mobile

Spent 5 days in Hotel Luar last month. Lovely quiet hotel, great for us but not if you're looking for a party! No music at the pool and no entertainment. Sunbeds never busy at the pool though which was good and pool quite large and clean. A small bar and restaurant in the hotel, not a huge amount of choice for food but not too much of a problem as the strip is a 2 minute walk. Slightly dated decor but standard for those kind of hotels. Very clean, everything replaced regularly. Fridge in the room with a few bits in but beware you'll be charged for these! Staff friendly enough but we didn't chat to them much. Strip down the street is good, loads of very good restaurants, bars and small supermarkets. We were going gluten free and restaurant staff were great with this - very friendly and attentive with tourists. Beach is very close but beware lots of steps down to it! Gorgeous beach which is actually very quiet if you go straight down from the hotel whereas steps down from the strip are rammed in that section but lots of sunbeds available. Would highly recommend nearby boat trip around the caves and also the All Beef restaurant to the right of the hotel - 5 min walk at most!! Also hugely recommend a restaurant called (something like) Cletonina with incredible steak. Lovely trip and lovely hotel!

Stayed: June 2017, travelled with friends
4  Thank Megan B
Reviewed 13 July 2017 via mobile

Just arrived back from Praia de Rocha the hotel was lovely spotlessly clean, traditional Portuguese overlooking the Promenade with steps down to the beautiful beaches. 2 Beds & umberella are 12 euros. The pool is large with a smaller children's pool and a snack bar serving lovely salads, burgers toasties & drinks. We were able to get beds everyday. The breakfast is cereal, pastries, breads, cheese, ham, eggs & bacon juice tea coffee which was fine for me but if you want something more substantial taffys close by serves a good breakfast. There are some lovely restaurants, Safari & The Italian in the middle of the Promenade favourites, there are lots of bars and quite a few Irish bars with music, Dave O'Neill in Ireland's eye is great.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple