“Brilliant Surfing”

Blackfield Surf School
Ranked #1 of 4 Tours in Achill Island
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Blackfield is a unique visitor attraction on Achill Island.If you need a surfing lesson or to hire some wetsuits, surfboards or body boards, just drop in! We run a hugely popular and (very small) surf camp for children aged 8-16 during the months of July and August.In 2016 we are also running a coding and robotics camp for children aged up to 14. In summer we house our surf school in a double decker bus on Keel beach.The Blackfield bus is fully seated upstairs with a fantastic view of the beach and tea, coffee hot chocolate and cold drinks are available every day from 10.30 until 5pm In winter (October - March) our building is closed but we are always happy to run lessons or hire equipment!
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Lockers / storage, Activities for older children, Activities for young children
Reviewed 19 April 2017

We went surfing over Easter and had a great time. Gerry was a fantastic teacher and ensured we all had a blast.
We were a group of two adults and two 11 year old girls and everyone had fun. Having the lessons indoors before heading to the beach which was a few minutes away was a big advantage and the waves on Keel strand are perfect for beginners and more advanced surfers. Next time we are in Achill we will be using Blackfield surf school again.

1  Thank Gareth H

Reviewed 16 April 2017 via mobile

This is a must-do in Achill. Gerry is a fantastic instructor and we had an amazing afternoon surfing - we were sad when it was time to pack up and leave. Great activity for all ages. Highly recommend Blackfield Surf School.

1  Thank Jenna L
Reviewed 20 February 2017

Brilliant day surfing in Achill, Gerry is a super instructor and the great gear provided meant that the group were able to stay out in the water for an hour and a half without getting cold in early February!! Will definitely be back again.

Reviewed 10 February 2017

My 10 year old niece went here for a week last Summer. She & I have surfed together in Keel before. I thought it was time she clocked up some consistent time in the water as oppose to our sporadic, but fun, sessions.
As a surfer myself I wanted her to be safe, learn & have fun. All these boxes were ticked in spades by Blackfield Surf School. She made friends, learnt about the sea & marine life (jellyfish!), did a beach clean & enjoyed learning from Abdel, Liam & Gerry. I noticed great progress in her surfing & water confidence after that week.
I would reccommend the Summer surf school & also the school in general for wetsuit rental etc as all their equipment is in good condition and they are very helpful. And ISA approved.
Suzanne.

Reviewed 5 August 2016 via mobile

So, my 24 year old daughter finally decide that a wetsuit was need for getting in the water around Achill Island. She decided this on Sunday when everywhere was closed. Thankfully we found Blackfield open and in we go to see if they had any wetsuits in stock.
Now here's the good bit. We found some and in her size (xs). When the guy behind the counter was finished with a customer (Sorry dude, I didn't get your name) he came over to her my daughter. Now for the awesome bit, he told us that if we go to Keel beach, they have a mobile surf school there and are selling off some of they're pre-hired wetsuits, we would save over half the cost of new one. He said if we weren't happy with the pre-hired suits we could come back up to him.
Off to Keel beach with us and we find the guys at the surf school. The wetsuits were perfect and only €20. So I had a happy daughter that didn't have to turn blue in a bikini and had alot more money in pocket than she bargain for. As for me, when you put people before profit you will always make those people come back to you and sing your praises.