“Birthday Break”

Waterhouse
Colchester, United Kingdom
“Birthday Break”
Reviewed 14 February 2012

We arrived at this hotel by default, our original hotel let us down badly at the last minute (16 of us) The Waterhouse could not have been better, the staff were fantastic. They went out of their way to make sure we had everything we wanted. We arrived after travelling from Colchester and then Shopping in Bath to fresh Tea and Coffee and a very warm welcome. Superb location, great bedrooms, wonderful breakfast. This is a new venture but I am sure they will be successful. Well done to all of them for looking after us all so well. Highly recommend this Hotel.

Room Tip: All rooms good, but I think room 7 has the bigger bed
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 January 2012

I had provisionally booked a room at a B&B in Monkton Combe. I took a slightly wrong turn & needed to turn round my reasonably long vehicle. I found a place at the end of the road to turn round that just happened to be a Hotel. I went into Reception on spec to enquire if I could turn round, park in their car park or stay the night. The reception I received from Jane on Reception & Gail the Hotel Manager was so friendly & enthusiastic that I booked a room. The Hotel is absolutely fantastic. The standard of decor suggests it has been fully refurbished recently & location is superb for anyone wanting to explore Bath. Gail has just taken over as the Hotel Manager, her entusiasm is infectious. I would recommed this Hotel to everybody.
I wish the whole team every success.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
London
Reviewed 8 January 2012

I wanted to get away for my 30th birthday so I decided that I wanted to go to Bath. I didn't want to stay in the middle of one city to another so I looked at somewhere just outside the city centre. I came across this hotel on late rooms.

The Waterhouse is a manor house surrounded by rolling hills of the countryside down a small lane about 2 and half miles outside Bath. Rooms are very nicely decorated with ensuite shower room, mini fridge, tea making facilities with complimentary condiments, hairdryer, tv, free wireless internet for laptops and a very comfy bed.

The staff were nice and friendly, Jane and Anthony made us feel very welcome and at home, providing us with information and going out of their way for our needs. Also Anthony whipped up an excellent full english breakfast as well as having the choice of cereals and fruit juices.

The local pub, The Wheelwrights is in the village on the other side of the river, you can walk there as there is a bridge that you can cross but if its muddy or dark then a car or taxi would be better, they serve food and local ales.

Getting into the city centre is very easy, 5 mins by car or taxi and the taxi fare is around £10 or on a nice day and if you are feeling fit you could even walk.

We would definitely stay at the Waterhouse again. We are thinking of going back in the spring/summer season so that we can do a bit of country walking as well visiting the beautiful city centre again for sites, shopping and spa treatments.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Steve W, General Manager at Waterhouse, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Waterhouse is now under new management with an evening menu available and bar facilities.

It would be a pleasure to welcome you back.
London
Reviewed 2 December 2011

I had the pleasure of staying here recently and cannot recommend it highly enough. Set in beautiful, tranquil surroundings, it's a real hidden gem. The grounds truly are the stuff the poems are made of!
Clean, comfortable and well presented, the staff are extremely friendly and welcoming.
On arrival I was shown to my room which was lovely and spacious, well equipped, extremely comfortable bed and a wonderful shower, I slept like a baby.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank RoadTripBunny
Truro
Reviewed 21 November 2011

I booked this place for a weekend break for my girlfriend and i based on the look of the building and the look of quality in the rooms, we were not disappointed! The surrounding are was really scenic and it is only a quick 5-10 min drive into Bath. On arrival we were greeted by Simon (the owner), a lovely gent who made us feel really welcome and right at home. The rooms are very "boutique" and are kept to a high standard, shower was immense, loved this and the complimentary drinks were a lovely touch. The breakfast that was supplied was great, it had everything that a full english should hav and we found that all of our catering needs were met, if you didnt want a full english you had a choice of pastries, cereals or fruit. All in all i look forward to returning here in the new year when we visit bath again and i would definately recommend this to my friends and family. Thank you Simon for making us both feel so welcome.

Room Tip: If travelling using satnav make sure you use the post-code BA2 7JA
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
3.7 km away
The Abbey Hotel
The Abbey Hotel
#16 of 31 in Bath

Been to Waterhouse? Share your experiences!