“Nice Free Visit”

Canvey Island Transport Museum
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Took my mum to this place on the first day of opening this year, it was very interesting seeing the old fire engines and buses, talking to the people that owned them made it even more so.

We had a nice free VIP of tea and sat upstairs watching the trains on the big model railway, really enjoyed this free day out.

All reviews
"donation"
"uniform"
"shop"

Reviewed 4 April 2018

And I wasn't disappointed. I've been a bus enthusiast for 60 years and I've know Essex for much of that time. When this museum came to my attention I lived too far away to make a visit. I was staying with my partner and within an hours drive so on Easter Sunday we were able to make the journey for their first open day of 2018.

Later in the season they have an event which includes cars and commercial vehicles, together with a 'park and ride' bus service from a car park elsewhere in the area. However on this occasion, it was more low key. Nonetheless the building - a former bus garage from 1934 in Art Deco style - was well worth a visit.

I didn't count the number of vehicles inside (which included a fire engine and at least one other non-bus) but there were plenty to walk round and admire. There are many notable buses, not all of which are native Essex buses, some awaiting or undergoing restoration.

I was impressed with the volunteers who run the site. Not long after we had started to look round, one of them came up to us and spent several minutes telling us about the museum and it's history.

Photography is difficult given how many vehicles are inside - and on this occasion because of poor natural light. However, we were able to see everything with ease.

Also on site is a sizeable model railway, a shop, a small museum with artefacts relating to bus operation which include a range of ticket machines as well as badges and uniforms. There is also a display of old toys, photographs news cuttings about the locality. Upstairs there is a room called the Traffic Office. This is set out more or less as it would have been when the building was a working bus garage. It is where drivers and conductors (remember them!) reported for work.

I spent a number of years in the bus industry including seven as a driver. The ony thing that they haven't been able to preserve is the typical bus garage 'smell'...warm rubber, oil and a hint of diesel fuel. Otherwise the place would be 'Excellent Plus' for me, not just Excellent. I'm sure I'll be back again. Even my partner enjoyed it despite all my reminiscing!

There is no entry fee on standard open days, but donations are welcome. Please do give. Everything is done by unpaid volunteers.

1  Thank Ken C
Reviewed 11 October 2017

Well it is just another bus museum if you go there on a ordinary open day although it is historical and has things like a model OO gauge railway and cafe. However if you go there on one of its main running days like we did it is full of stalls and dealers plus free bus services to the sea front area where visiting buses are parked on the local field. worth going for the experience and you could also include the canvey Island Miniature Railway if you chose a Sunday to visit when both are open.

Reviewed 11 October 2017 via mobile

Annual transport show, variety of merchandise to buy, well maintained collections together with uniforms and authentic smells of yesteryear transport. Alongside creative working Model railway. Information galore.,..

1  Thank track67