“Amazing dessert”

Price range: US$17 - US$32
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 30 July 2013

We ate here at the weekend for the first time since the new owner took over last year & were very impressed. Husband had chicken wings to start & he said the sauce was delicious without being too spicy, his main course steak was tasty & tender. I had chicken caesar salad to start, the dressing was a little tangy for my taste but the chicken was lovely. My main course pork fillet was very tender and had just the right amount of sauce which was tasty without being salty with a lovely hint of apple.
But it really was the dessert that made the meal - lemon & treacle tart with honeycomb ice-cream. The tart was the nicest I've ever eaten with a beautiful thin, crispy pastry case & really light filling that was lemony but sweet. Really gorgeous.
Staff were very friendly and the service was excellent. We visited on a Friday night and the restaurant was quiet so there wasn't a huge atmosphere however for the food and service we will definitely return.

Date of visit: July 2013
1  Thank Shelly81

Reviewed 28 July 2013

We have tried the Cross Street Bistro on a number of occasions since its new owner took it over. The food is always excellent and is really great value. The early bird is on offer most of the time and it is refreshing to get a full dinner menu at a reduced price. There is an emphasis on home cooked food. The owner James is very friendly and a wonderful host. Definitely worth trying!

Date of visit: July 2013
1  Thank BaileyBooEstevas
Reviewed 1 June 2013

Had a beautiful meal in this restaurant. We have been there several time and as always the food is excellent. The service and the atmosphere is wonderful. Looking forward to going back soon. If you are in the Kells area its well worth a visit.

Date of visit: May 2013
1  Thank NicoComeathIreland
Reviewed 18 April 2013

I have been here a few times and I have to say it is the only place I would eat out in Kells. It's refreshing to be met with decent, helpful and attentive service- something others could learn from. The menu is well priced and you feel you get good quality and good portions. I really hope this restaurant succeeds as it is evident the staff are trying. Only thing was it was a bit cold in the room and sometimes lacking in atmosphere due to empty tables but then again I usually go mid week so bound to be quieter. Best of luck to Cross Street; you have a fan in me!

Date of visit: February 2013
1  Thank cavanfoodie
Reviewed 12 April 2013

Had a lovely meal in the Cross Street Bistro tonight - they really go to great effort in ensuring everything is home-made and fresh. I had melt-in-the-mouth mushrooms to start with, followed by battered fish and chips. The fish was cooked perfectly and the batter was light and not greasy like some batters that are served up in some pubs & restaurants - it was served with homemade tartar sauce and red cabbage slaw, cut really finely. I loved the thinly sliced cucumber garnish as well, very fresh. The chunky chips are also, needless to say, homemade.

I managed to squeeze in dessert and the tastiest chocolate cream pie dessert I've ever had. To paraphrase Agent Cooper from the cafe in Twin Peaks, this is damn fine chocolate cream pie!! My husband had the April special, chicken wings, a burger and a beer. The sauce on the chicken wings is the best he ever tasted - I think it will become legendary in these parts!! And the service as always was excellent. This place is a hidden gem!

Date of visit: April 2013