“Breath of fresh air in Kells”
Review of Cross Street Bistro - CLOSED

Cross Street Bistro
Price range: US$17 - US$32
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 18 April 2013

I have been here a few times and I have to say it is the only place I would eat out in Kells. It's refreshing to be met with decent, helpful and attentive service- something others could learn from. The menu is well priced and you feel you get good quality and good portions. I really hope this restaurant succeeds as it is evident the staff are trying. Only thing was it was a bit cold in the room and sometimes lacking in atmosphere due to empty tables but then again I usually go mid week so bound to be quieter. Best of luck to Cross Street; you have a fan in me!

Date of visit: February 2013
1  Thank cavanfoodie

Reviewed 12 April 2013

Had a lovely meal in the Cross Street Bistro tonight - they really go to great effort in ensuring everything is home-made and fresh. I had melt-in-the-mouth mushrooms to start with, followed by battered fish and chips. The fish was cooked perfectly and the batter was light and not greasy like some batters that are served up in some pubs & restaurants - it was served with homemade tartar sauce and red cabbage slaw, cut really finely. I loved the thinly sliced cucumber garnish as well, very fresh. The chunky chips are also, needless to say, homemade.

I managed to squeeze in dessert and the tastiest chocolate cream pie dessert I've ever had. To paraphrase Agent Cooper from the cafe in Twin Peaks, this is damn fine chocolate cream pie!! My husband had the April special, chicken wings, a burger and a beer. The sauce on the chicken wings is the best he ever tasted - I think it will become legendary in these parts!! And the service as always was excellent. This place is a hidden gem!

Date of visit: April 2013
1  Thank Cladonia123
Reviewed 1 February 2013 via mobile

Cold , windy and wet,first day of spring does'nt feel that way , we hadn't booked but no problem to our genial host, we wet seated promptly, menus supplied we both decided to go off early bird menu although not a huge choice 3 starters portobello mushrooms , pork belly , and fish pie. Four mains, pork fillet, pollock, chicken stuffed with black pudding, also steak ( €4 supplement) a goodish selection of wines bread and an interesting amuse bouche

Price € 20 two course €24 three course
Wine €19 to€30 food and service good would recommend , a bit off the beaten track but worth looking for
A la carte menu also

2  Thank Mullaghgaaman
Reviewed 23 January 2013

I had delicious portobello. mushroom starter while others had the fish pie and we were all very happy. The Australian white wine was truly excellent ... so we were all set for a great night. Unfortunately the main course of pork was disappointing and the mash was cold (not luke warm but cold) - however the test is always how they deal with a complaint and they were very gracious and replaced it promptly. Deserts were very good .. so overall a good night and I would return to give them another chance

Reviewed 18 January 2013 via mobile

By day, the Cross Street Bistro provides great brunch - lunch options. Was here for lunch with various dining partners twice this week. Food was consistently good. Service is excellent with varied & reasonable menu. At night this menu is transformed under the watchful eye & excellent directorship of James Plasic. Added touches, amuse bouche, excellent food make this a place to visit in Kells. I couldn't make the office Christmas dinner which was held here but each individual raved about the selection & quality of food & service. Can't wait to go back some night soon. Keep up the good work.

2  Thank LavenderHills