All reviews basic hotel small fridge air con on a daily basis family run hotel sheets and towels hotel is located lovely beach lovely family cleaned daily greek pool bars maria
Reviewed 25 October 2008

Avoid this hotel. On the second day of our stay here, we moved rooms and found a carrier bag in the fridge containing two beers and some yoghurts left by the previous occupants, which we put in our packed lunch. Half an hour later, the bar manager burst into our room, stuck his head in the fridge and started screaming at the top of his voice. It took five minutes of him screaming for me in Greek to work out that he was after the beers. When I realised what he was talking about, I handed them to him - at which point he went utterly balistic. I thought he was going to attack me (my wife was now frightened to tears and I was half in shock) - he chased me around the room howling with aggression, then grabbed the phone and started yelling 'police' and several other words which I later found out to be fairly disgusting insults. All I could do was plead for him to fetch someone who spoke English. Eventually he stamped out with the beers.

It sounds fairly comical but it was actually terrifying - I don't speak Greek and I really did think I was going to get hit or fitted up for a crime. The beers had clearly been left as rubbish and we'd been handed the keys to the room. Were we supposed to have taken the bag downstairs and handed it over? Even if we were (and we weren't) the treatment we recieved from this man was unbelievable. We went to the manager, who shrugged and told us that the guy was his brother and he was tired. We ended up avoiding the whole back area of the hotel (with the pool) where the bar was for the rest of the holiday because the man was downright threatening.

There are plenty of hotels in the area and I can't recommend strongly enough that you choose another one instead of this wretched place.

Date of stay: September 2008
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
4  Thank ChrisN2
Reviewed 5 September 2008

We had not booked this hotel but were transfered when the hotel we had booked ( zervas beach ) decided to take only russian guests. This was less than 3 weeks before we were due to arrive.
The neon beach is actually in stalis but is at the border between stalis and malia. The location is good for either resort and is quiet.
The hotel itself is a typical greek three star although the local tourist board rate it as a two star. The rooms are designed for washing, changing and sleeping and are cleaned every day with bedding changed twice a week. Breakfast is continental with a reasonable selection.
The pool area is nice with the exception of the pool bar. There is decking round the bar which is in a poor if not dangerous condition. I did speak to the owners about this and they say that the pool bar is being replaced at the end of this season.
Lunches at the pool are not recommended but next door at the fox and hound bar, food is good and reasonably priced. Another advantage is that you can walk from the pool across the grass and your there.
The beach is just 1 minute away and is soft sand with sunbeds and brolley costing up to 6 euro.
An earlier report on this hotel sayed that they felt that the staff were unfriendly but this is far from true. The problem is that this is an international hotel and the staff do not have great english.
One exception to this is Amlet the nightshift manager who is albanian ( 35, single and looking for a wife.) and has lived in greece for 16 years. He is very friendly but is very strict on noise at night im glad to say.
Niko is the owner and looks after the reception all day. Maria is his daughter and she tends the bar at the reception and sometimes at the pool. The son Pavlos ( 15 ) is usually to be found playing games on the internet every evening.
My wife and i found this hotel to be friendly and relaxing and can recommend it to older people who want to have a quiet and peaceful break

Date of stay: August 2008
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank sparks2
Reviewed 28 June 2008

My partner and i stayed at the Neon for 2 weeks and absolutely loved it. the staff are so freindly especially Hamlet and Maria. The location is perfect for Stalis and only about a 20min walk from Malia too. The rooms are basic but cleaned everyday with new sheets and towels provided. The pool area is clean and large enough for all guest and you are so close to the sea its perfect, we felt so relaxed about leaving all our belongings around the pool and popping down to the sea for a swim. i would definatly reccomend and go back again.

Date of stay: June 2008
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank LouandSam2008
Reviewed 19 July 2007

The Neon is nearer Stalis than Malia, however, it is only a 20 minute walk through the main road with bars and resturaunts along the way. It had air-conditioning which would cost 6 euros a day but if you look at previous reviews you can find how to put it on for free! Breakfast was basic but good enough, you could make cheese on toast! One bad thing, the milk was always boiling no matter what time you went down (7:30 - 9:30). Rooms and the hotel were fairly clean, maids came everyday! Towels only when we asked her though! Rooms also had a TV and fridge, which is quite hard to find in Crete! MAJOR TIP: ASK FOR A SEA VIEW ROOM, MOVE LATER IN THE WEEK IF POSSIBLE! (view is great!) No bath or safe in the room! You could get a safe at reception for 24 euro for 2 weeks, which was actually ok! Pool was good but you are better going to the hotel pool next door which is shared. Beach was a minute walk down some steps, it also had watersports owned by the alexander beach hotel (Very nice btw!) Stalis had a good amount of things to do, but Malia is better for younger people. Overall, Very good holiday for a young or middle aged couple!

Date of stay: July 2007
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank funinthesun007
Reviewed 21 June 2007

Disappointing.

After reading good reviews on the net, it was not what I had expected at all.

The rooms were tiny - although I had booked bed and breakfast, this was the first time I had ever found a room that had absolutely no cooking facilities. No kettle, toaster, oven, hob - just a very small fridge. The room is literally a small room, with a TV which gets 2 English Channels (both news), a radio which gets 1-2 local stations, a small fridge, wardrobes, 2 single beds, plus a small bathroom with tiny shower. Balcony was small - ask for one with a sea view because we had a very shady balcony. There was NOTHING else. Not even a sofa!

Breakfast is from 7.30-9.30am - so if you fancy a lie in, you're stuffed.

Personally, I thought the staff were very unfriendly and uninterested. Some moaned at us for coming in at 4 in the morning because we were coughing!! He made more noise telling us off!

The points I have given were purely for the pool, the gardens and the proximity to the beach. Their new reception, internet cafe and plasma screen were lovely. But, to be honest, they should invest in upgrading the rooms first.

Don't believe the hype that there is a supermarket in the hotel, or a mini-bar in the rooms. And don't pay for the aircon like we did, you can operate some of the units without the remote control!

Don't stroke the resident dog there - it bites! lol

Very poor. Equivalent money would have got you much better accomodation in the Canaries/Spain - and I assume Crete!! Trip advisor currently rates this as the 5th most popular hotel in Stalis? I'd dread to see the other 22!!!!

As for Stalis - real nice. Very friendly people - cool bars. We loved Nicole in the bar with the tacky lit up palm trees, and George at the Seacrets bar (Yaaaaaay!). Bliss was cool too with excellent music (although pushy PRs). Brilliant food in the resort. Try Restaurant Creta, The George and Dragon, The Rovers for Breakfast, and the Greek Restaurant opposite the Neon Hotel. All superb.

Date of stay: June 2007