“Good seafood, excellent service”
Review of L'Estaminet

L'Estaminet
Price range: US$20 - US$39
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 30 September 2017 via mobile

Absolutely one of my favourite restaurant. Every time I had oysters, there were so fresh and tasty. And any other meal I chose was very tastefull. I really recommend this place. I've been there on lunch and dinner time and always positively suprised.

Reviewed 15 September 2017

My spouse and I have been coming to Normandy for close to 25 years, before finally settling near Utah Beach. Any family, friends, and WWll Veterans, whether American, French, German, or British, whom we always bring to L'Estaminet for one or two meals, have always thoroughly enjoyed our dinners together. The oysters are always fresh and delicious, no matter raw or in a sauce, and the scallops in sauce with leeks are amazing. A favorite of my French spouse is the croustillant de camembert, i.e, deep fried, but in no way greasy, chunks of camembert cheese with excellent side of quality thinly sliced ham. The quality of their meat is unmatched. Like other folks we love the tarte Tatin, the warm accompanied by the cool ice cream, as well as the profiteroles. Their wine list is good and one only has to ask the chef for a recommendation to have the wine best for your meal choice. The employees work hard and long hours and since it is a family business sometimes one hears the voices raised to a higher level, but no harm is meant, and it doesn't interfere with the quality of service. Working in family is not always easy, but they have made it work. Heartfelt recommendation of this restaurant to anyone for a lovely evening or afternoon meal. One more thing...they have not forgotten what the Americans and other allies sacrificed so many years ago for their freedom.

Date of visit: August 2017
2  Thank Margaret H
Reviewed 6 September 2017

We stopped here to eat lunch before heading out to visit the Normandy beaches. It seemed it was owned by a husband and wife. It was a delicious meal, very nice service and a very clean place. It was a perfect location for your drive to the beaches as you go right by it. They wanted to be sure we were pleased with the meal. As you know in Europe, with their waiter customs being different than those in the U.S., you don't typically get someone to check back on you to see if you are pleased with the meal.

Be sure to visit the church across the street for an interesting history highlight and the spot across the street, from the church's front door.

Date of visit: August 2017
Reviewed 28 August 2017

My wife and I ate at L'Estaminet on July 7th of this year during our two week trip to France. We wish we could have come back for another visit. We sat outside and had the oysters as appetizers. My wife had "the most juiciest" lamb chops she's ever had and I had their wonderful seafood dinner. Dessert was equally wonderful. Sitting out looking over to the Church was perfect. One of the best meals we had in France.

Reviewed 26 July 2017

During our week-long stay in Normandy, L'Estaminet is the only restaurant we visited twice. It is located in the charming small town of Ste. Marie du Mont, and appears to have been a stable at one point in its history - as reflected in its decor. There is an outside dining area (of course!), but due to the weather we dined inside. It is not a large establishment, so I can imagine that the tables could fill quickly at popular times.

Our group was a party of six on the first visit, and four on the second visit. Both times, we all had varied selections from the fixed-price menu. All were excellent, and portions were appropriate. I am a big guy at 6' 3", 250 lbs, and didn't walk away feeling hungry. On the first visit, I had the 'Codfish Our Way', which was cooked perfectly - moist and tender. The cod was accompanied by mussels, a large prawn, potatoes, and vegetables? The second visit I had moules (mussels) and frites (French fries). The mussels were delicious, cooked in wine & garlic, and the fries were properly crisp on the outside and tender on the inside.

The service was a bit slow by American standards, but compared favorably to that of other restaurants we visited.

Note to tall visitors: the doorways and some of the interior lamps can present a problem if you are not attentive.

Bottom line: We will gladly return to L'Estaminet on our next visit to Normandy.