“Our best meal in Costa Rica!”
Review of Quimera's

Quimera's
Ranked #20 of 47 Restaurants in Santa Elena
Price range: US$2 - US$12
Reviewed 23 May 2016

Don't let the appearance of this place fool you - although this plays looks very low-key sandwich-shop-esque from both inside and out, the food is gourmet and just phenomenal. Plus, while the food is far superior to our other meals in Costa Rica, the price was lower than what we'd paid at other restaurants both in the Monteverde and Manuel Antonio areas. We ended up ordering the eggplant napoleon appetizer, the seabass with passionfruit sauce, and the beef tenderloins (and were full, despite the "tapas" description). I had initially wanted to order the ginger seabass but was told by the knowledgeable (spanish speaking) waitress that I couldn't eat it because of my wheat allergy. I was skeptical about the passionfruit seabass option because I normally don't like a sweet sauce on my savory main dish, but it turned out to be perfectly balanced and absolutely delicious! I highly recommend both this and the eggplant appetizer. I wasn't quite as impressed with my boyfriend's beef tenderloin but he loved it and that's what counts. :) Somehow we were the only people in the restaurant and the chef noticed that we'd pulled up in a taxi and proactively offered to call us one when we had finished our meal. As one of the other reviewers said, this place truly is a hidden gem

Reviewed 28 February 2016 via mobile

What a delicious find! All the way up the mountains in Monteverde (Santa Elena) for amazing, creative and unbelievably flavourful food. We started with the 'Quimeras frozen mango' cocktail. Like a mango lassi or mango shake but with dark rum and expertly blended. Then we had the Patacones with a beautiful limey herb sauce...just a hint of cilantro. Wow, what a way to take something like plantains which are usually bland and turn then into a deep craving! The seabass with passion fruit and ginger jelly, the shrimp with sambal and Thai chicken were all served as whole fillets (no bones) and were outstanding. Such unique ways to combine flavours and hints of spices...truly fusions of delicious meeting with more delicious. Maybe we had our dinner very early but we were the only ones in the restaurant. Service was homey and welcoming. The genius behind these creations was our sweet waitress' mother. My only wish is that I had one more night in Monteverde to try the rest of the menu. Alas, the distance between this restaurant and my home is thousands of kilometers away. I would love to read what future vistors Quimera's enjoy. Try this place, you won't be disappointed and it will only add to your Costa Rican adventure.

Reviewed 17 February 2016 via mobile

Why Quimara's isn't in the top five restaurants, is beyond us! We arrived for an early dinner and had the place all to ourselves. It was like coming home to a mother who really knows how to do Latin foods! The coconut mojitos were a perfect start. Five stars shined above every plate that she prepared and delivered to the table. We were told Quimera's does the best coconut shrimp in town with a delicious mango sauce. Agree! The eggplant, smoked cheese and tomato was beyond yummy. The mixed garlic vegetables complimented it perfectly. Let's not forget the amazing calamari and a delicious dipping sauce! Topping it off, complimentary sangria! We couldn't say no to sharing the delicious homemade spiced apple cake. It was a grand finish!
After all these creative Latin flavors, I wanted to be my mom! We hugged her goodbye in gratitude, with tears in our eyes! What talent! What joy she has in feeding people!
If you're looking for great food, Quimera's in Monteverde is it! (Top five is my prediction, just saying!)

Reviewed 5 February 2016

"Tapas" is how they describe their offerings. By this they mean small plates, not traditional Spanish tapas. The uncrowded house is bright with windows for walls, some "typical" decorations, and a mini tropical garden at one end. When we lunched there La Senora was the only staff, and one could not ask for a warmer or more welcoming hostess. Further, with the exception of the pre-made and delicious napoleon of eggplant, smoked cheese and rich cooked concasse, everything was made to order, including chopping and sautéing the vegetable bed for the superior corvina. The corvina ceviche was true Tico style and the fresh green beans with garlic offered a nice set of contrasts. The four dishes made a very satisfactory lunch. The menu is not extensive, but well worth the three or four visits it would take to eat your way through it. Highly recommended.

Reviewed 1 February 2016 via mobile

Best meal we had in Monteverde/Santa Elena. We walked by the restaurant a number of times and decided on a whim to stop. We are so glad we did, one of the best meals we had in Costa Rica.