We'd stayed for just one night in 2015 and vowed to return. This time we had two nights at Tambor Tropical and it was just as lovely and wonderful as we remembered.
This time we were in Room 8, still on the second floor, though to see the sunrise this time of year we had to get out of bed and walk out to the lawn. (I know...hardships!)
Beautiful sunrises. Lovely, small refreshing pool. TONS of birds and wildlife - little frogs, geckos, iguanas. A pair of bright red Macaws that arrived and squawked each afternoon. Just a paradise.
There are hammocks on the lawn and little tables and chairs scattered around the property so you can hang out. The A/C in the rooms is strong and there are ceiling fans. Each room has a fridge and little kitchenette. The wi-fi is great throughout the property and the bar by the pool is adorable and tended by lovely women (Hi Christina! You're great!).
Directly in front of the hotel is a long stretch of beach that is nice to walk. You can SUP in the area and they have massage therapists. The hotel can arrange a great excursion to Isla Tortuga.
The food is delicious - their Nicoya Fish specials are simple and delicious. The fish tacos are excellent. And - our favorite - Mark's Famous Shrimp Nachos are addictive, so consider yourself warned.
We also think Tambor Tropical has the best Pina Coladas on the peninsula. We've worked hard to test a lot of them!
Note: the hotel is usually very quiet. There is a club down the beach and the Saturday night we were there, there was a party there with a DJ and a crowd. But the second night was quiet and the people we met there had been there for a week and reported it was only one loud night.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Tambor Tropical is an intimate boutique beach resort on Costa Rica's beautiful Nicoya Peninsula. Nestled on the on the bay, our resort offers guests a private and luxurious vacation in the less traveled Playa Tambor. Relax in the comfort of one of our 12 spacious beachfront suites, swim in our gorgeous mosaic-tiled pool, indulge in massage treatments, enjoy the cuisine of our full-service restaurant or explore the nearby jungle via many guided adventures. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Expedia and Travel Republic (UK) so you can book your Tambor Tropical Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tambor Tropical Beach Hotel Playa Tambor
- Tambor Tropical Playa
- Tambor Tropical Hotel Playa
- Tambor Tropical Beach Resort Costa Rica