All reviews yoga lovers swiss lady tucked away the owner outdoor shower sri lanka staff are extremely friendly the main house hot shower the main road dome suite beach paradise nets
Reviewed 30 December 2017 via mobile

This place is tucked away from the busyness of the main road in unawatuna, but still close enough to the beach and action. The gardens are beautiful, great breakfast and daily yoga classes with a fantastic instructor. The only downside is our room was very dark with no natural light and smelt of dampness and mould meaning our wet clothes did too as they weren’t able to dry. The highlight were the staff and the owner who were so lovely and accommodating and really made it feel like a home.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 October 2017

We stayed here for one night, perfect place for couples and singles that just want to relax in a little secret nature corner with incredible rooms and a good warming vibe and excellent service. The place is perfectly located in the middle of all the cool movement of Unawatuna, but its amazingly designed to make you feel like in a bubble of its own. Its placed in the middle of the bay life style, on the main road. Two steps from the beach where you can enjoy an incredible seafood dinner with a nice appreciated cool breeze from the sea views right in front of your table. With your feet in the sand, under the stars, with the warming light of a romantic candle and an incredible service, you will decently have the complete Unawatuna paradise experience.
Its a very good option for people who like to be in the fun zone, but also enjoy the pleasure of having a good chill rest in a little paradise Secret Garden has created with there cosy spacious villas.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Victoria S
Reviewed 20 September 2017 via mobile

I love the cute little villas here and the name perfectly describes the place! If you want a quiet & peaceful place to stay at in busy Unawatuna this is the place for you! The Dome here is ideal for yoga lovers. The suite here is perfect for families. The mansion is beautiful and almost 150 years old! Lovely staff too and the owner is a lovely Swiss lady who has been running the place all by herself.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 September 2017

O alojamento neste pequeno Hotel que em alguns dias e através de fotografias parece ser muito interessante, tem alojamento que não é digno daquilo que os guias ou o prórpio "site" indicam.
Quem não gostar de mosquitos não vá para este lugar pois não está preparado para tal.
Em anexo a descrição da minha estadia (que ficou reduzida de 4 para 1 noite).

1. At August 20, when I arrived at your hotel, which I had pre-booked for 4 nights, because of it's proximity to the beach and as suggested by a tour guide as a nice place located in a tropical garden;
2. I have visited quite a few tropical countries before, thus I am well aware of the problem with mosquitoes and how to defend ourselves against them;
3. Having arrived at your hotel, and after seeing the room assigned to me, I realized it wasn't in presentable conditions, so I asked if there was another one available to change into. I was told that all the other rooms were more expensive;
4. Has a habit, in pre-paid reservations, I never change to rooms with extra payment because sometimes, poorer rooms are assigned to clients with the prospect of having them asking to change into another with a supplementary payment. Of course, fortunately, I could afford to pay for this supplement but I understand that the hotel should assign rooms on the terms according to the requested booking;
5. That same afternoon, returning to the room back from the beach, I verified several serious questions related to the permanence in the room, among which:
- There were no mosquito nets on the two windows facing the terrace, so they could easily enter, unless the window shutters were down thus also blocking the sunlight;
- The door facing the outdoors toilets, had crevices which could not be sealed and there was no mosquito net protection for it, so there was no way to keep the mosquitoes from entering the room;
- The window by the bed had to be forcefully shut from the outside, since it didn't work properly and didn't have a mosquito net either;
- There were 2 geckos walking on the room walls;
- The toilet had barely any water in it;
- There was hardly any pressure in the shower;
- The wood frame on the window by the door was completely rotten and broken down, and could easily be pulled out by hand;
- There was no hot water in the sink;
6. Affirming there are no nets on the room's windows because outside the rooms there are mosquitos everywhere doesn't make sense. When we leave the room, we take measures against the mosquitoes. Inside the room, however, the hotel is responsible for these measures;
7. I've stayed in tents (in a tropical country) with much better conditions than the ones found in this room;
8. The only way to be safe inside the room was to remain permanently under the bed nets, which is ridiculous even to imagine;
9. And I will not discuss here about the bath and toilet area, which were outdoors, outside the room;
10. In virtue of all this, I decided to find out how much my agency had paid per night for this BB room, and I was informed it had been between US$80.00-90.00/night;
11. Your website indicates for this time of year, a US$65.00 fee per night (for private customers). That means one of two things:
-either the room assigned to us wasn't the room booked by Jetwing,
-or you over-charged my agency (corporate customer), which in turn, charged us accordingly;
12. After this analysis, I was obviously not staying 3 other nights in this distasteful situation. Knowingly losing the amount paid for those 3 nights, and having to pay them in duplicate elsewhere, I checked into a different hotel, as for a slightly higher amount I was offered completely distinct conditions (which wasn't very difficult anyway);
13. The information given to us by the hotel, mentioning they could not refund the costs for the 3 nights mentioned above (and I know the rules well), is only in the sense that they do not have this obligation. However, there is no law prohibiting such a refund of advance payments, when the hotel management verifies that a customer is right about a complaint. But that wasn't even what I asked for when I gave up the 3 nights;
14. It is not for me, as a customer, to ask for a solution to problems of this nature, but rather the hotel has the duty to solve them wilfully. Especially in the low season, during which, in my modest opinion, one must captivate clients by all means rather than push them away disgruntled;
15. Interestingly enough, later that morning we were told the room could be exchanged for a suite without extra payment, but by then it was already too late. The matter should have been solved at the time and not after we had taken the initiative to leave;
16. For information only, that same morning, another client at the hotel (3 ladies) also decided to change hotels, however they had no extra prepaid nights;
17. From the many pictures shown on your website, it is rather unfortunate none portrays the true state of this bungalow, which together with their description in the tourist guide, are leading clients to mistake;
18. Finally, I inform you that I have photographic evidence of everything mentioned within this complaint.

Room Tip: O melhor é não escolher o Hotel! Quanto mais um quarto.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 August 2017

Unawatuna is full of tourists, shops, bars and restaurants, not very quiet, you have to know it ! Secret garden is hidden in the middle of a lovely garden full of flowers and very quiet. 20 meters from the beach and the main road and very peacefull.
This is an o ld house, with huge rooms (ours with a wonderful outdoor shower and nice veranda), lovely decorated.
Breakfast is not included but recommended: very complete and excellent !
Staff is nice and helpful.
Great morning yoga sessions.
Only recommendation: do not come for a full moon festival... you will be in the middle of the markets and the speakers shouting all the day between 6am to 11pm... really annoying and resting a lot of charm...

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family