All reviews the owner unawatuna beach our room was spacious water pressure the sri lankan breakfast balcony
Reviewed 18 February 2017 via mobile

I was staying earlier in other place in non ac room but felt the need of air con so i searched and came to this place. Earlier the owner showed me tha ac room but as it was going over my budget he showed me another room which is in their non ac category but owner told me though the ac is there in room but they give this room in non ac category. I said i am looking for ac room only then he said he will give ac remote in this room and we agreed for price little lesser than their ac rooms. I payed in advance for one day and shifted

Now the struggle begins, the ac was not working at all, i told owner he came and showed me running fan and condenser unit behind room and said ac is working ok. But it isn't there was no refrigerant in the system as frosting on return line. I asked him to change my room but he said no other rooms are available and also he refused to cancel booking and return the advance payment. As i was on budget mode i had to stay there for one night next day i left this place.

Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 September 2016

We stayed in the upstairs room with balcony which we loved, light and spacious. This was one of the few places in Sri Lanka that makes a good cup of tea and the Sri Lankan breakfasts were best of anywhere. Friendly couple. Lalith ended up being a driver for us to next location which worked well as wasn't easy public transport. Also appreciated the aloe vera cut from the garden to tend my mosquito bites obtained at previous location. Thanks for your welcome. We felt at home. A & R

Room Tip: We found the lower rooms a bit dark for our tastes so the balcony room was perfect.
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 August 2016

We stayed two nights at the birdhouse. The rooms were very clean and comfortable with enough space to unpack your belongings. There was hot water but not the greatest water pressure - which is like most places in Sri Lanka. The wifi was the quickest we had experienced, barely dropping out. It was in a great location - walking distance to the beach and restaurants. The host were kind people and always willing to help. A few times I think a communication barrier got in the way leaving us a little confused with the outcome but overall it was a pleasant stay.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 August 2016 via mobile

This hotel is very clean, cozy, comfortable and the owner are so kind. We stayed here for 3 nights, it became one of the best place in Sri Lanka which we've the most relaxing time while staying. It located in the quiet area but not too far from the beach.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 August 2016 via mobile

From the moment we arrived in the birdhouse we felt welcome. Lalith and his family welcomed us with a cup of tea and a nice conversation (which is customary in sri lanka). He showed us our rooms which were the best we stayed in on our 5 week journey. After refreshing Lalith showed us were we could rent bikes and get supplies.
Then after we came back in the evening we were joined for a drink (dont tell misses lalith) and he promised to take us to the local fish market and bbq the next evening.
So the next morning a bit hungover we went to the fishmarket where we met the local fisherman and bought alot of fish for an amazing price. In the evening as promised lalith made us an incredible feast which we graved for the moment we saw the coconut shells being lit on fire on the bbq. The next morning we had to leave unfortunatly but through this way we wanted to thank the birdhouse once more for the great time we had.

Kind love from the 5 dutch guys