Lowest prices for your stay
Hotels.com
Free cancellation until 01/07/21
Travelocity
Orbitz.com
ZenHotels.comUS$132
All reviews coach parties bit dated dining room dog friendly hotel evening meal no lift porridge family room bed and breakfast plenty of hot water highland folk museum co op cynthia highlands lounge aviemore base
Selected filters
Reviewed 27 October 2020

The rooms are large and it seems like the bathrooms have recently been renovated.
The staff were very friendly.
The location was good as it was an excellent base for hikes and other outdoor activity that we had planned for our famiiy.

1  Thank kiwisteveandali
Reviewed 24 October 2020

Hotel slightly dated but clean, staff exceptional , nothing too much trouble, managed well under current covid situation. Hearty breakfast and evening meal with good choice of menu, within short walking distance of Highland Folk Museum

Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank vonnie350
Reviewed 23 October 2020 via mobile

Staying here for one night, called in after driving for 6 hours.
Great warm clean room and fab shower.
Dinner was delicious and so welcoming with the dogs and kids.
Couldn’t fault it at all.
Lady on reception (dark hair) is wonderful and very kind and thoughtful.
Would recommend for a doggie friendly break x

Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 13 October 2020

I have rated the highlander as average because nothing was outstanding but nothing was poor. My daughters referred to it as an old folks home as very very dated. The room was ok. Bathroom actually very good. Food was ok. Not outstanding but ok. Breakfast again was ok. Staff had very little to say and I wondered if they understood us. I don’t think I’d stay here again but it was ok!

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Cynthia Robertson, General Manager at Highlander Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2020

Given the current circumstances we are working in the staff are very conscious that they do not linger at a table more than necessary to ensure your safety and theirs.

Reviewed 11 October 2020 via mobile

Excellent food with fabulous service. Servers were very professional and attentive whilst adhering to Covid guidelines. Two large dining halls, one of which is dog friendly. Wasn't sure why there was lots of sofas around the walls, room looked a bit dated.
The room I was allocated at first was awful (number 39 ), dirty and the smell was pungent and reminded me of a nursing home. After informing the lady at reception, I was given another set of keys to look at the room above the original room. This room was somewhat satisfactory but with a closer inspection I noticed a few stains and the shower and toilet was not the cleanest.
Now, I know the manager will probably respond to this by saying I should have informed reception with this issue also, but, why should I? This was the second room that had issues what was my chances of actually finding a decent room?
The rooms are very dated and badly needs refurbishing, hence my title 'blue rinse' hotel, after locals informed me that this is what they name this hotel due to the amount of coaches of pensioners.
My advice would be, to have someone inspect the rooms after cleaning before being allocated to customers. Its a marvellous hotel in a great area close to aviemore but the rooms let it down considerably. I would love to stay again but only if they refurbish.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Pauline B
Cynthia Robertson, General Manager at Highlander Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2020

I find it quite sad that you mention coaches of pensioners. Pensioners like everyone else are entitled to a holiday and if they travel by coach so be it. Unfortunately it appears we can't please everyone all of the time. I have passed your comments to my housekeeper.