“Relaxing, Rejuvenating w/ a Few areas for...”
other traveller has booked this property
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Excellent
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
Krizstyli...
Jersey City, New Jersey
“Relaxing, Rejuvenating w/ a Few areas for Improvement”
Reviewed 16 October 2015 for a stay in September 2015
people found this review helpful

Ah, the time has come for me to write a review on a property we paid a nice hefty chunk of change to stay in. We wanted something private and totally ours, with a nice pool and Driftwood did not disappoint. Although there were a few let downs, but the purpose of our vacation was served. We came back to the city feeling rejuvenated and ready to take on our lives. Below I have broken out my review into Pros and Cons. Hopefully I remember to cover everything!

A quick note, my fiancé and I were recently engaged right before this trip so we were really wanting to spend quality time doing absolutely NOTHING! And we did just that. =)

We stayed 9 days and 8 nights.

Pro's:
-Hands down the top pro of Driftwood is Marie. She is your cook, your friend, your knowledgeable caretaker. I can't believe how sad I was to leave HER and not necessarily Driftwood. I still want that Lobster dish recipe! By far and away she went out of her way. Even took us to the local grocery when we wanted to go. We hired a car and off we went. She brought her dog over when I was missing my fur baby back home! She worked well with our schedule and we tried not to keep her late and give her time off in between.
-Food: Everything Marie made was DELICIOUS AND if she saw you loved something, she'd surprise you with it later on in the week. There is also a grill for US to use if we wished but...more on that later.
-Location - You can't pick a nicer more relaxing spot. The pool is amazing, the house is beautiful and just big enough that you won't get lost but you won't feel caved in either. The wide doors are wonderful to leave open (Close them at night though...BATS!)
-Quiet, the entire neighborhood is quiet. Do not be scared when your car pulls up to the back of Driftwood and you can't see the sea...trust me, it's there. I was petrified for all of 2 seconds. Rest still your beating hearts.
-There is a TV and Wifi, that was a plus for us because every night we wanted to stay in and binge watch Netflix shows we never have the time to watch when working. However, the wifi isn't strong enough to reach the bedroom TV so we had to move it to the living room and they would do well to get better speakers for the TV as it was very very low. But it's fine if you don't care too much to watch movies/shows.
-The pool is AMAZING. When it is cleaned (More on that later). It was everything I'd hoped for and more.
-The nice little spots for reading, napping or just watching/listening to the ocean. There are SO many spots I can't even tell you...have fun using them all!
-I never read this in any reviews so I definitely want to include the fact that Marie took our clothes and washed them! She hung them to dry and they were perfect again! Next time I will only bring half of what I think I need. You could totally get by on a carry on here. I don't think we ever dressed up!
-The bed is super comfy and you won't be disappointed. There are also ceiling fans in every room however even with the ceiling fan and the standing fans (we brought in ALL THREE from each bedroom since we were only staying in one) it was HOT. They would do well to include an air conditioner in at the very least the bedroom. We were sweating like crazy people.
-Last but not least is the tranquility. I can't say enough good things about just the spirit of the place. I don't think anyone COULD have a bad time here. A few times we were taken aback by things that happened but its just such a wonderful VIBE that ...it was still by far one of the most relaxing vacations we've ever been on.

Cons:
-We were told it was a private location but halfway into our stay the caretaker (Odane or Bounty) brought his girlfriend to stay with him. We would look out our window to see them lounging and making out and suddenly it felt like we were sharing a resort with another couple. It was awkward.
-I woke up to swim one morning and found that the pool hadn't been cleaned. I mean, bugs everywhere and dust it was so bad I didn't want to get in. When I went to get Bounty to clean it...he wasn't there. He is supposed to clean the pool every day but most days he was gone. We had no caretaker. Marie was watering the plants and maintaining both the household work along with outside. I felt utterly awful for her and bummed that an entire day we paid for was wasted because Bounty hadn't cleaned the pool.
-Management, management knew about these issues and I wrote about them in the journal. No one reached out with even an apology. I found that to be sad as the place held such a special meaning to us and we did have a great time.
-The 3 hour car ride to the location, HORRIBLE. Our drivers car was very very old. My fiancé is 6'5 and he had no room to move. It was hot and he had no air conditioning. The whole trip was just awful. If I had been told in advance that we were paying one hundred and thirty for that, I would've spent the extra twenty to get a private van to take us. (Yes this is both ways) it is a very costly drive at three hundred total for both ways.
-Lastly, we needed a certain type of water for a medical condition. I emailed asking Tiverton for this months ahead of time and reminded them as we closed in on the date. Needless to say, the water wasn't to be had and we checked the grocery. It wasn't there either. Had this been told to us we would've brought it. He was without his medical machine the entire trip which left him very restless and sleepless at night.
-Last but not least...a lot of the lounge furniture from outside could stand to be replaced. If not replaced then sewn up etc. Some of it is falling apart.

Alas, the trip was every thing. There are ample towels, storage and always a smiling face from Marie. I hope you enjoy and add to the journal of Driftwood. Tell Marie I miss her!

Feel free to email with any questions!

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The pool and Marie!
Liked least: The caretaker didn't take care of much.
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Friends getaway Older travelers
17 Oct 2015
Hello Kristen,

Thank you so much for you details and honest review, I will certainly pass it along to the owner who I am assuming you are referring to "the management" you said never responded to the need of the pool not being cleaned. Did you ask Marie to contact him and/or ask her to speak to Odane or Bounty about care for the pool and the girlfriend?

I wish you would have emailed or texted me (Tiverton House) for I said to contact me if there was any issues, I meant it. I would have made sure that the pool was cleaned And made sure that the caretakers girlfriend who is Not Suppose to be there when guests are there left. I am very sorry about those two parts of your trip, which are unacceptable and we would have fixed those issues ASAP. Again, I'm sorry.

As for the distilled water, Marie was not going to be able to get it in Black River and I did contact MegaMart in Montego Bay to see if they carried distilled water and they usually do. I'm sorry it was not available, I did everything I could on my end to find a location where it could be purchased. We have had other guests that have needed distilled water and this is where they purchased it, MegaMart did run out on one guest during their stay, which can happen, but they told me boiled water and let it cool when this occurred. I'm sorry that what I said would be available wasn't I felt pretty confident when I told you MegaMart Carried it would be on the shelves.

I'm also very sorry about the condition of the car your driver had, I will follow up with him to see why he was not using his better car. US$135 for two passenger is the fee for a car transport. Cars in Jamaica are mostly compact, if I would have known that your fiancé was 6'5" I would have suggested the use of a van, which does cost more (typically the lowest fair is US$165 each way based on the number of passengers).

I am happy to hear that the Pro's of the trip over all outweighed the Con's...Marie is wonderful, we/Tiverton House have known her for years and she is certainly The Star of the property/experience. The view is pretty spectacular as well. I remember the bed being comfy (my husband and I stayed in the master bedroom when he was offering a holistic retreat in TB years ago (before there was the pool).

When I asked if the internet could be reached in the bedroom, I was told that it could, sorry it was not strong enough, that is where I envisioned you watching your movies. I am sorry about all of your Con's we strive to make every one of our guests happy -- the most glaring that will be followed up on ASAP is the lack of privacy (we have never heard of this happening her before) and the lackadaisical care for the grounds and pool...not acceptable.

Again, I am sorry about the con's of your trip, but I am really glad that there were lovely parts that made it an overall good experience.

Kindest regards,
Nicole
Tiverton House Manager
kflood222
Montreal, Canada
“Unbelievable Vacation!”
Reviewed 22 March 2014 for a stay in March 2014
people found this review helpful

Driftwood was paradise! The views are spectacular and the beach was wonderful for our young family. We were spoiled by Marie and Wendy. They were the nicest people who took great care of us and our children. I've been to many all-inclusives, but Driftwood is so much better. Treasure Beach is a hidden gem in Jamaica. We will definitely be back! Thank you Marie, Wendy, Warren and Carl.

Liked best: Staff & Food
Liked least: Nothing
Your age range 35-49
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Portland Maine USA
Reviewed 6 March 2014 for a stay in February 2014
person found this review helpful

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
Check-in / front desk Service
Would I recommend this holiday rental to my best friend?
A romantic getaway Luxury-minded travelers
6 Mar 2014
We are beyond pleased that you enjoyed your stay at Driftwood, it was out pleasure to help you and look forward to hearing from you again. one Love, TH,LLC
NY
Reviewed 17 February 2014 for a stay in February 2014

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
Check-in / front desk Service
Would I recommend this holiday rental to my best friend?
17 Feb 2014
We are so happy to hear that your stay at Driftwood was enjoyable! We look forward to hearing back from you and helping you with any of your returning travel needs. Thank you again for choosing Driftwood.
Redsonj1
NJ, USA
“Paradise by the Sea!”
Reviewed 31 December 2013 for a stay in November 2013

What an amazing vacation! This was my 7th trip to Jamaica...and the best yet! Driftwood Villa is an absolutely lovely home on a gorgeous property overlooking the sea. We spent much of our time floating in the pool, staring at the sea and great sunset views. This is a great place to completely chill out. It's very quiet, safe and serene. There are day trips, etc. that can be made, but we took this opportunity to just relax. The ladies who run the household, Marie and Wendy, are fantastic and made our stay just perfect! Marie made all of our favorite Jamaican foods: lobster, brown stew fish & curried goat - delicious! Looking forward to returning in 2014!

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: perfect location on the sea
Travelling group: Friends
Friends getaway People with disabilities
Older travelers Families with young children
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
31 Dec 2013
So glad you enjoyed yourselves. :) Driftwood aims to please. Everyone looks forward to your return.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing