“Great Fish and Chips”
Review of Jaffy's Shop

Jaffy's Shop
Ranked #1 of 1 Quick Bites in Mallaig
Price range: US$3 - US$13
Description: A family run Fish & Chip shop in Mallaig, Scotland. The freshest fish, fresh cut chips and a deli selling a selection of Scottish produce.
Reviewed 18 April 2018 via mobile

Arriving in Mallaig off a packed steam train we expected the various pubs and cafes to be pretty busy with tourists so we grabbed some fish and chips from Jaffys before the queues could form. We both ordered a Haddock supper at £7 each which was reasonable for the portion size and quality. We took our food around to the benches in the Marina away from the crowds. Both the batter on the fish and the chips were very good quality - and the portion size just right. Would recommend!

Reviewed 15 April 2018

Went along last week whilst visiting the area, it was 4.45pm and the shop was closed, I went to sit in the railway station and the woman came out of the chip shop, I took the opportunity to ask her what time they opened and was told 5pm, quite bluntly. I stayed with my boys in the train station waiting room and then went to the door as it was now a couple of minutes after 5pm. The woman saw we were waiting. She decided to open the other doors first to customers that had just arrived, she did this after looking our way?
We were then let in. I immediately went to order and she looked at the two men she had let in before us I prusume she wanted to serve them first? I asked if they did children’s meals and was told the menu is up there, very abruptly. I ordered and asked if they took all credit cards to which she said yes. Obviously they did not as my American Express and rejected. I was then told that I had mucked up their machine and that it no longer worked, I said but I have another card and was TOLD to go to the bank to get cash, I said I don’t have money in that account and was glared at, I took my children and left. I have never met such a unpleasant person in all my life. The other chip shop was EXCELLENT in food and staff

1  Thank Jbuchan_11
Jeff L, Owner at Jaffy's Shop, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2018

We are sorry to hear you were not happy with the service you received in our shop.
Our card machine was not working properly that night and not accepting some card payments. As you were the first customer through the door we were not aware of the problem until you tried to use your card and it was rejected.
The suggestion to use the ATM machine next to our shop was meant with good intentions, to help you, as you said you had no money to pay for your order. We apologise if you found this offensive, it was an awkward situation for all involved.

Reviewed 10 April 2018

Went here after the steam train from Fort William as it was recommended by the people we were staying with.

First there was about a 10 minute wait as a train had just arrived, but wow was it worth it!

The batter on the fish was so crispy and tasty (despite being doused in the customary salt & vinegar) well worth the wait and was the best fish & chips ever.

Reviewed 27 January 2018

Great place to pick up fish and chips for lunch, excellent. There is also local produce available from the cols counter Smoked Salmon cheese etc.
If you are in Mallaig make this place a must to eat. Next to the train station.

Reviewed 30 December 2017

eat in wee cafe here -fish and chips were good -although no tomato ketchup ?!
shop had great choice of fresh fish to buy
right at station so handy for trains

Jeff L, Owner at Jaffy's Shop, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2018

Thanks for the review. Can only apologise that we had run out of Tomato Ketchup. We normally have more sachets than we know what to do with!