All reviews corner house excellent value central location pleasant staff value for money a great place to stay stayed for nights cereal fruit arrived earlier very pleasant stay breakfast was excellent high standard stairs suite curtains journey pubs
Reviewed 13 October 2017

Attended a wedding here. We arrived earlier than check in to help set up the function room. By the dancefloor, staff had left a length of old guttering. I picked it up and a used condom wrapped fell out - lovely!! Aside from this first impression, I was eager to give the place the benefit of the doubt as I wanted the wedding to be as lovely as possible.

Upon heading up to the rooms, the first thing we noticed was the state of the walls; this place has not been repainted in a long time. Dark, narrow, dated corridors stretch through the length of the building. I do not think a wheelchair would fit through these corridors. Or even many styles of pram. It's not disabled friendly anyway as there are multiple flights of stairs. Despite this, the rooms were actually fine, except for the light mould around the bath and the holey bedding.

We were a large party and had therefore booked a number of rooms. Once we all met up and were having a chat we realised the hotel had just pulled rates from the air as none of us paid the same amount for any of our rooms. The difference in rates was actually quite staggering. This was again forgiven - until it came to check out and they started adding extra charges on for the strangest and wildly untrue reasons. I won't go into specifics but let's just say these charges were so crazy we actually had a laugh about them later on.

At the end of the function, last orders were called at the bar. We sat and finished our drinks, figuring that as with most weddings, the DJ would let us know when it was time to call it a night. Despite the DJ still playing songs, the bar staff began clearing away behind us and stacking chars which I found exceptionally rude - doesn't exactly make a wedding feel special!! To add to this, the final dance of the wedding involved dancing in a circle around the newlyweds. Part way through the song, I happened to turn around and see the girls who had been serving through the night had stopped their chair stacking to film us. Due to their ages and positions within the hotel, I doubt that this was for promotional purposes; I got the impression these girls were being catty and mocking us. Absolutely disgusting.

Room Tip: Just stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank frostfromfire
824oliver, General Manager at The Corner House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2017

There has been many accusations listed by this guest towards the hotel itself and staff members. The "extra charges" mentioned in this review are for the bedding and towels which went missing when the guest came to check out, the charge was to cover the cost of the missing items. As the charge has still not been paid we feel this is a retaliation and in result of this we will not be going into a deeper response.

Reviewed 4 October 2017

Just been up to the borders of Scotland for a few days to ride motorbikes with a few mates, we booked this hotel as its not far from our routes we where taking. The staff where helpful, but one stuck out more than other due to her manner and helpfulness, Debbi was her name, she is a credit to the Hotel.
As usual theres pros and cons so for the Pros, Budget price so don't expect the ritz,Wifi in our rooms, baths as well as a shower,clean rooms, good choice of breakfast,lots car parking space,easy to find. Cons, its dated but from what Ive herd its slowly having money spent on it,could do with re grouting in the bathroom,cold in the dining area in the mornings so could do with heating putting on in there. So Im being picky there.
But all in all you get what you pay for and in my opinion it was a good hotel, and we plan on booking again on our next trip and I'll be using it when I take the wife up for a break.
And if your the Hotel staff reading this I was in the Biker party of three ;), see you soon!!!!!

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are Quieter, If you have a Bicycle or motor bike they will pop it inside if you want to keep it safe.
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
3  Thank forest_32
Reviewed 1 October 2017 via mobile

on the odd occasion il call in for breakfast always find staff very helpful and the food is always well prepared breakfast only served till 11.oo but very nice and quiet and can sit by window upstairs and watch the world go by and the staff never rush you to make room for other customers a few stairs to go up but it's worth it they have just taken on a new cook for breakfast nice Irish girl and great cook

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank William L
Reviewed 20 September 2017

Comfy and cozy, nothing fancy. Excellent value for the money. Very warm and helpful staff. They also have a restaurant which has a good menu, although I didn't eat there. Good central location, I advise checking out the Blue Bell Inn if you're looking for the best pub in town.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank JonAllen_75
Reviewed 15 September 2017 via mobile

Staff were lovely and I have to say the breakfast was really good.....but the rooms were a disgrace! I've never stayed anywhere as bad as this for a room standard.

The main reception and breakfast area looks like it has been modernised but the rooms and landing area were a mess.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business