The Corner House Hotel
US$107
  • Restaurant
TripAdvisor
All reviewscorner housefirst floorcentral locationpleasant staffexcellent valuevalue for moneyscottish breakfastbusiness tripa great place to staystayed for nightscereal fruitarrived earliernice loungevery pleasant stayhigh streetmany thankscomfy room
Reviewed 15 September 2017 via mobile

Staff were lovely and I have to say the breakfast was really good.....but the rooms were a disgrace! I've never stayed anywhere as bad as this for a room standard.

The main reception and breakfast area looks like it has been modernised but the rooms and landing area were a mess.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 August 2017

We have just driven to Edinburgh from Staffordshire to see the Edinburgh Military Tattoo.
We used the Corner House as a stop off in Carlisle on the way to and from Edinburgh.
It was a good choice as it is about equidistant from the M6 and the city centre ( ! mile each way). It has free on road parking with a permit from the owner and the included full English breakfast was a bonus.
Our room ( No.4) had a 4-poster bed which was just like a normal bed but with a wooden structure above it but the room was well kept with a spacious toilet and shower area.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 August 2017

As someone who grew up in Annan it is nice to go back and visit.My wife and i booked into the Corner House Hotel as i remember it from years ago and told my wife she would love it.
What a disappointment the place is now a bit rundown and could do with bringing up to a standard which expected for 2017. The decor is dated ,curtains falling down ,shower goes hot and cold and has no pressure,windows were filthy,lots of noise from the main street,these are just some of the faults.
On the plus side the staff are very friendly and helpful and the breakfast was good.
Although we only stopped one night i had built the place up to my wife only to be let down,it was not just the hotel but the whole town was a let down ,very untidy and gives off the feeling no one cares about the place anymore.
All in all a very disappointing stay.

Room Tip: Try not to get a room above the bar.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 July 2017

Me and my partner arrived on the 15th of July to stay for two nights. We were greeted politely by a male member of staff who seemed very friendly. When going into our room on first glance it doesn't look entirely all that, we weren't fussed as it was somewhere to put our heads down as we were out and about throughout the day and night. Unfortunately we ended up with a twin room for our stay which I am guessing is down to "popular demand" so we chose to move our beds together. Upon doing that when we moved one of the beds we noticed a plug socket without a cover on it which left wires to be EXPOSED!! We did just shrug that off and carried on with our day and night. When going back to the hotel for the night we noticed something crawling on the bed, THEN JUMPING. We didn't know what it was but we didn't want to make a big thing of it as we had, had a few to drink and it was late on in the night. The next morning my partner woke up with a BITE on his arm which we can only assume came from whatever was in the bed that night. As I work in a hotel myself I decided to check the crevices of the mattress to see if there was anything unusual, to which we found a dead insect!! I was reluctant to go to reception as I am not one to complain but felt like this was an issue that needed raising and dealt with. When I went to reception I asked a young girl with black hair if there was a manager about that I could speak to, she replied telling me that there wasn't. So I brought up the issue with her, where she then brought another young girl in with blonde hair. The young girl with blonde hair came to the room with us which was room 108, to see what I was meaning. I showed her what I had found and she was in total shock, then the other young girl came in and I quote said "isn't that what they call bed lice?" We explained that we were staying another night, the young blonde girl apologized as much as she could and offered to swap us rooms if there was any, but that was it? We then went out for the day and came back and packed our stuff up to go into our new room which was 208. When going into the room, we felt as if we had been downgraded from the last for complaining?! The room was 100x smaller, the tv was something you would find attached to back of a car seat to entertain children, yet again we were given a twin room, so we moved the beds again. Upon moving the beds we found a milk carton top and a tablet which I will assume was paracetamol. To be honest with you though that wasn't the worst thing that happened. There was an issue with guest privacy, now I work in a hotel and I know if anyone phones up and asks for a guest, or what room they are in or how many people have checked in you are NOT allowed to give any information!! Now my partner had an issue with a past partner that was trying to find out where we was and who he was with. Now when we went to reception after my partner finding out this had happened, reception told us that they had told them who he was with what room type and what room number! I am honestly amazed that this place is still open considering all of these problems! The young lad was shocked when I told him that he cannot do these things. Again we did not get any kind of apology, not that I was expecting discount or anything but not even a breakfast was offered. We heard nothing from the manager, which I thought we may of because of the bed bug situation. I would not recommend this place to stay, let alone stay open. I feel sorry for the young staff being left to deal with these problems with clearly no sign of a professional manger on site at all!!

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
2  Thank Danielle D
Reviewed 1 July 2017 via mobile

Just returned from a very pleasant stay with my 8 year old. Stayed for 3 nights, room was tidy and clean, bed very comfy. Not a fancy hotel, but did get a good price. Would return in future if I got a similar deal.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family