“What a lovely place to stay!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Holmfirth
Old Stoney Bank Guest House
Ranked #10 of 12 Holmfirth B&B and Inns
Reviewed 12 September 2014

This is a guest house, not a hotel. We stayed for three nights while we toured "Last of Summer Wine" locations. Ann is a outstanding hostess - friendly, outgoing, informative and lively. Yes, the dogs are there, but she is training them to behave better. Her breakfasts are varied. We had porridge one day (at our request), a full English breakfast another day and cereal with yogurt & fruit the last day. We were fortunate to meet other fascinating guests and would definitely recommend her accommodations.

Room Tip: All rooms are upstairs so be prepared to climb a flight. Every room is quiet because the house is l...
  • Stayed: September 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Judy D

Reviewed 20 August 2014

WATCH OUT AS YOU ARRIVE FOR DOG POO ON THE LAWN...&..THE FOOT PATH LEADING TO FRONT DOOR..{ANN DID apologize for this}..it was like that most days..
Ann THE OWNER HAS 2DOGS, 1DOG IS NICE THE OUTHER DOG YOU SOULD BE CAREFULL OF AS IT GROULLED ONE MORNING AT ANOUTHER GEST CHILD.
THE SAME DOG WENT FOR MY DOG AS WE CAME DOWN PAST THE KITCHEN DOOR,2ND MORNING WE WEAR THERE.. ANNS DOG FLUE OUT..PRIVIOUS DAY IT HAD MEET US ON THE SMALL LANDING..BARCKING.. yes I was warned when I made booking Ann had said she had new rescue dog. and it was getting use to its new family surroundings...
I had serjested ON OUR ARRIVEL we all meet on THE LAWN TOO ACOSTOMIZE THE DOGS..OUR DOG All so is rescue but am glade to say she is lovely good natured.. cocker..wouldn't hurt fly.{ANN MEET US AT FROUNT DOOR. On our arrival then showed us our room..then went on to show us her very nerves rescue dog.
Whom was in the conservatory. With friend of Ann's.
MY Dog DID NOT RETAILATE AFTER ANNS DOG BIT my dogs EAR..2nd day we was there..as we past the kitchen..

On the plus side yes we had nice fresh fruit for breakfast. HOME MADE JAMS.
with the normal cereal's & cooked breakfast.
{I had given Ann on arrival fresh home grown tomatoes.}
Unfortunly we did not get those on our plate...
only shop bought ones with no flavour with our cooked breakfast
While am on the subject of breakfast....Allow your self 1.5hrs as ANN likes to talk.
gave me and my husband head ack..

Please note...if you pay in cash...don't forget to ask for receipt.
The surrounding area of the accommodation is not acceserball to excise ones dog as its over grown...the front lawn is ok..if you don't mind dodging the poo..

IF YOU ARE DISSABLED THERE IS NO...HAND GRAB RAILS...
IN THE SHOWER OF GREEN ROOM...

THE PRICE WE PAID £240...3NIGHTS b&b..WAS OVER PRICED..
unfortunly I did bend the front door key caught this in my glove box.
Ann did not charge me for that. Even though I was told by Ann it would cost £5,to replace.

on the plus side yes nice older world house. comfortably rooms..
nice feelings home from home.. Nice walks not far from Holmfirth.
Walking it takes us oldies good 3/4 hr. each way...up down dale..
sagest walk down bus back...£1.50..or free if you have bus pass...

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank marg B
399AnneA, Owner at Old Stoney Bank Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2014

I am so sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us. When you said you were looking forward to a return visit next year I thought you had enjoyed it very much.
I do enjoy having visiting dogs to stay and until now have never had a dog have trouble getting on with mine, who I have to say I do keep out of the way unless a visitor asks to see i them, which I do recall you did.

Holmfirth is 1.2 miles from here as goolemaps will confirm. it normally takes 20 to 25 mins comfortable walk although most keen walkers do in much less. When you said oldies I suppose as your husband was nearly 90 years old it might take longer. Also when you described how you got there I did say you must have taken the wrong turning and gone the longer way.
I thought you stayed at the breakfast table as you did not want to go out for a long day and I have a very busy life and thought I was doing you a favour by spending time with you. You did come back most afternoons for a nap.
My dog certainly did not growl at any child, There was a 2 year old here at the same time as you and her parents asked if she could see the dog. It then proceeded to chase Paige around, paige was very cooperative when the child poked and petted her and they became good friends.
Most guests do not even know I have dogs unless they hear the odd barking. they are kept in a different part of the house.

I have had blind and deaf people here, also many elderly who all say how easy everything is. I do not think it is normal to have grab rails in a shower. Your charming husband did not mention any problem at the time, I did not ask you ,am sorry if you had had a problem.The tomatoes you had at breakfast were the ones you brought so I had no control over their taste which to be honest is subjective anyway. I do thank you for telling me exactly how to cook breakfast and how to lay it out and am sure this will help me in future.

Best Wishes, Anne

Reviewed 19 August 2014

My family and I spent three days in the first week of August in this lovely place.
We stayed in the cottage where we had 2 bedrooms and two bathrooms for us.
The location with the river outside is very peaceful and quiet and very close to Holmfirth centre.
Anne is a fantastic host, friendly , patient and never invadent always avalable for advides about places/pubs and stuff .
Wonderful breakfast, with fresh fruit everyday, something that in UK is not very common.
For sure it will be my point of reference there .

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 July 2014

This was a last minute booking when delays to our friends house renovation project required us to find alternative accommodation. No offence friends but your disappointment created a fabulous experience for us. The setting is idyllic with beautiful gardens surrounding three sides of the house. We had a great room with ensuite facilities and I don't think I have slept so well in ages. That wonderful feeling when you wake up in a comfortable bed, the only sounds being the dawn chorus and expectations of a leisurely breakfast in the conservatory. The breakfast is to die for - an amazing array if cereals, fruits and, of course the full English cooked to perfection.
The only down side was that we had to leave for an Elton John concert. Actually he was great too but it just put the icing on the cake to return to the comfort of Old Stoney Bank. Ann - you were a great host and we are only sorry it took us a month to submit our review. As they say on references, we would recommend this B&B without reservation. You won't find better.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Paul B
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We had an excellent stay here at the weekend. A lovely house, beautifully furnished. We had a large double room although not ensuite had a private bathroom. The bed was fantastic best nights sleep I have ever had away from home. Anne is a great host made is feel very welcome. Breakfast included delicious fresh fruits. Wish we could have stayed for longer.

Room Tip: If booking early will get an ensuite room
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple