1,931 results
All reviews tea room afternoon tea gallery restaurant feature room black swan six course tasting menu molton brown toiletries scones market square bar area evening meal lovely hotel wedding party restaurant staff market menu lamb special occasion
Reviewed 17 January 2018 via mobile

We travelled from Liverpool to stay at The Black Swan Hotel. Our journey was not wasted!!

We were welcomed by the most friendly and helpful staff, the manager especially, and were given a large, beautiful room (very well heated) overlooking the garden. The room was clean and the bathroom was gleaming.

The restaurant staff catered to our every need (I’m a very picky eater) and were very attentive. I ordered a steak which was cooked to perfection. The desserts were out of this world. Their cocktails were amazing. The only negative thing was the weather, but even then, a rainbow appeared over the garden before we left which was truly beautiful.

We plan on coming back very soon.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
Hannah M, Front Office Manager at The Black Swan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 January 2018

Thank you so much for your wonderful review.
I am delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and will certainly share your review with the rest of the team.
We look forward to welcoming you back to The Black Swan Hotel in the very near future.

Reviewed 14 January 2018

The Black Swan has a lovely ambience, good service but food average. Visited with my husband and parents and booked into the Gallery restaurant for a meal on Saturday evening. The bar was welcoming and service was good. The food was just okay, not much choice on the menu and expensive. I don't mind paying if the standard is good but I ordered a fillet steak medium and it came and was quite tough and over cooked on the outside. My husband had the guinea fowl which came with mash and cabbage which was excellent, so a bit hit and miss. Red wine was lovely - recommend the shiraz spitting spider. Retired to the bar after our meal and sat by the fire, a lovely way to end a great family meal

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled with family
Hannah M, Front Office Manager at The Black Swan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2018

Thank you so much for your review.
I am delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and will certainly pass your feedback on to our Head Chef in regards to your fillet steak.

Reviewed 13 January 2018

The room was spacious and clean, the evening meal was very good and tasty, breakfast was good and a good variety of food. The staff helpful and plenty of them, the lounge and bar areas are warm and comfortable. Enjoyed our stay and would go again .

Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for your review, I am delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us.

Reviewed 9 January 2018 via mobile

I had a few concerns about staying here, have read one or two negative reviews, however, I need not have worried. Upon arrival, we were warmly welcomed and checked in. Parking permits are available, which meant we could park, at no cost, outside the hotel.
Our room (34) was smallish, but cosy, with enough room for two easy chairs and an occasional table, desk and chair and queen sized bed. It was chilly when we walked in, but we turned the radiator on and within 10 minutes, it was very warm. The bathroom was dated, but spotlessly clean. Towels were generous and fluffy, also nice and warm from the heated towel rails. The bed linen was lovely and the mattresses, although soft, was extremely comfortable.
The highlight for us was the food. My husband declared the ham hock starter, the best he had ever had. Homemade fresh bread was served with not only butter, but an alternative of beef dripping, beautifully presented, and apparently delicious! The whole meal was sublime. We ate the guinea fowl and fillet steak for our main courses. My pudding of sticky toffee with stout and Black Sheep beer ice cream was memorable, my husband decided on cheese and went with the recommendations of our very knowledgable waitress, he was not disappointed!
We only paid £109 for bed and breakfast and, although our evening mean cost more, it was worth every penny. There is a cheaper alternative on the Market Menu, which looked equally delicious. Breakfast did not let us down either.
With cosy log fires, comfy armchairs and lovely staff, I encourage you to visit. If you enjoy shooting, there is also a secure gun room.
We are looking forward to returning soon

Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
Hannah M, Front Office Manager at The Black Swan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2018

Reviewed 6 January 2018

We booked for 2 nights - only a standard room but we had room 7 which was cosy and had a very comfortable bed! We arrived and had a lovely afternoon tea of scones and pink champagne! On the first night we ate in the restaurant and had a superb meal - we started with risotto with smoked haddock and both had the steak with a lovely sauce and we loved both courses. We then shared a pudding and had cheese from the amazing cheese trolley - now that is a treat you cannot miss.
New Years evening we had a fantastic breakfast - lots of toast and a beautiful buffet and lots of hot choices from kippers to full English.
On New Years evening we had drinks and then dinner at mixed tables - great fun and good company - a band, dancing and photo booth all added to the fun! A piper and fireworks at midnight just made our day!
The whole team were lovely from the GM Lis to the guys in the bar and restaurants and reception!
Highlights - the food and definitely the cheese trolley and decent Malbec and Picpoul de pinet!
We had a super time - Helmsley is a lovely place to stay with coffee shops, delis and wonderful walking - we loved it thank you

Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
Hannah M, Front Office Manager at The Black Swan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2018

Thank you so much for your wonderful review.
I am delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and I will ensure to share your review with the rest of the team.