“Good Holiday, though a little disappointing”

ClubHotel Riu Vistamar
Ranked #9 of 67 Hotels in Puerto Rico
Reviewed 21 February 2012

We have recently returned from this hotel in Gran Canaria , the food was very good,the staff are excellent, and we had a relaxing time. However the cleanliness of the bedrooms and some of the public areas could have been better, we often saw bits of paper, tissues and bits of food in the corridors and on the flights of stairs between floors. These were left for days and the cleaners past these, every day. The first day we arrived, our room had small beetles, we told reception and they sent the cleaner up, who left us an insecticied spray. In retrospect, we should have asked for another room there and then, but we had unpacked the cases and thought they would disappear after spraying. Unfortunately I spent nearly the whole fortnight spraying every other day. There also appeared to be a sickness bug going around the hotel and the island, my husband had a virus for 48 hours but wasn't sick, though we did speak to three other people who had had sickness and diarrhoea. We had to fill out a form with the Rep who said that if people don;t tell her she can't report it. I also spoke to a receptionist who told me that some staff had been off sick with a bug and that there had been a virus on the island recently. The hotel is a little shabby in parts and could do with some updating, the staff were great, but sometimes lacked initiative at times, especially when we hired a kettle and built up a selection of teabags, sugar etc and one day when a cleaner removed it all except for the kettle the receptionist said I had to get a note from them in Spanish so that the cleaner left our teabags etc alone. This was ok, but they never once offered to have replacements sent up to the room, I had to go to the communal areas to replenish our stock.
Finally if you are unfit or old this is not the hotel for you, it is on top of a hill, there is a courtesy bus which stops outside the hotel regularly, to take you to the beach, but if you want to go to the local shops you have to climb a steep hill to get to them. I am giving this hotel four stars only because three stars is Average and despite the problems I think the hotel is slightly better than Average, however I do not think we will return and it has not put me off Riu hotels and we have been in a number of them and they are normally very good.

Room Tip: Fifth floor has good views
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank relaxerNorthTyneside
Write a ReviewReviews (2,737)

Reviewed 18 February 2012

i stayed in riu vistamar in February - march 2011 during my birthday, we were meant to be in a different hotel but we got changed to this hotel because of no room in the hotel we wanted

Great entertainment team (especially Simon)

you have to go down really early to catch a nice space on the sun loungers though

free courtesy bus to the beach in mogan

there was a lot going on in the day for people which was quite fun

kids club

when we went in February the pool was quite cold

not much quality entertainment in the night, but there were some good shows there.

also if you are going out in the evening there is a big hill you have to climb

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Lukestatham
Reviewed 17 February 2012

Stayed at Riu vista mar for my husbands 50th birthday. Had stayed before and seemed ok. Now british were definitely the minority! Hotel catered mainly for scandinavians, norwegians and danish. All entertainment was based on these countries. There was a terrible smell by the bar every night which was nauseous! Spent most of time on beach as all sunbeds were taken every day! Would not want to return!

• Stayed: January 2012
2  Thank AMBrennan
Reviewed 15 February 2012

All the other reviews are correct, there is good and bad.
GOOD- free Cava !!Good food / langoustines, salmon, mussels. Another restaurant by the pool that does chinese/other food.
Weather was lovely, 25C, last day was cloudy and 15C, so we was lucky.

FAB- Mini club for kids, if u have any. Our daughter loved it !!!

BAD- pool only slightly heated, our 6 year old did had fever in the night.
The lifts are full - restaurant does look like canteen, old deco - the hotel is just too big for my liking but we did enjoy our holiday overall.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank KairitB
Reviewed 14 February 2012

I have just returned last night from a week here at the Riu Vistamar with my wife, We are a couple in our 50's and have fallen in love with the Riu brand. We are Riu Class members and make multiple trips to Riu's all over the world.

The Location - The Hotel is situated above Amadores Beach, Puerto Rico, Gran Canaria. It is situated on top of a cliff, the views are spectacular but this makes it a quite awkward to leave unless you leave on the free beach bus which runs every half hour between 9am and 5pm. To walk up and down you would have to use the road which is extremely steep, this is not recommendable for persons who do not have a good level of physical fitness.

The Hotel - On arrival to the hotel, the outside appearance of the building looks drab, and on entering the lobby, it is not up to the normal Riu standards. I cannot however fault the staff, they where extremely efficient, professional and very friendly, our needs where tailored to immediately.

Our Room - Prior to arrival, I had emailed ahead and requested a room on the 5th floor with views over the Amadores Beach, this was granted and we got exactly what we requested. The room was of the normal brilliant Riu standards with a small balcony.

The food - The food was excellent as usual, it had an excellent choice, too much at times but I found something different each day. We booked into their speciality nights, (one Asian and one Andalusia) The Asian was gorgeous, I had a fabulous Chicken Curry.

The Drinks - Again Riu standard, plenty of beer, wine, sangria, and cocktails. Fast efficient bar service and some self service stations with cokes etc beer and wine.

The Pool - Two large pools on the roof, the water was cool but pleasant, normal for this time of year. Plenty of sun beds around the areas, my wife and I at no stage had any issues getting one. The free towel service again was great, just as normal with RIU hotels, I can't Fault it in the slightest.

The entertainment - Each night the entertainment team put shows at 9:30pm, the shows where awful to say the least, the day time entertainment was non existent except for water aerobics.

I won't return to this Riu, its location whilst beautiful is not really practical, the hotel is laid out in a strange and awkward way due to the nature of being built on the side of the cliff. The elevators where dreadfully slow which meant we used the stairs. If I had of been on floors 1 or 2 it would have been horrendous.

Due to the layout, the internet room, hair dressers and shop are on a lower level, on other Riu's they have been in a more prominent location in the main lobby which provided a better atmosphere and environment to sit in.

Room Tip: Request floor 5.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple