All reviews honor bar honesty bar antipasti main building other guests rose gardens magical place fruit trees cooking class chianti region beautiful grounds manor house each evening old world infinity pool breakfast and dinner staff could not have been more
Reviewed 6 September 2018

When we arrived I spent the first 20 mins wondering what might happen to mar our stay, such was the immediate impression of tranquilly and leafy paradise. I'm pleased to say the hotel lived up to its first impression; the staff we encountered were all welcoming, the breakfast on the terrace ample and delicious, the new pool in the beautiful grounds and our room ( room 7), complete with air conditioning, insect screens and a fabulous view over the Tuscan hills bliss. We did not try the restaurant but wish we had. We'll save that for our next visit.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
corso a, Proprietario at Villa Le Barone, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2018

Dear rachel582,

gut feeling is very important in life and first impressiona are very often the right ones ... serenity and beauty are two main qualities of Villa le Barone and the other "niceties" we offer are just so that you continue experiencing this sense of bliss. Sorry you missed our evening dinner, which for many is also one of the highlights of their stay with us.

In spie of the fact tthat we are not perfect, to the many who come to Villa le Barone with open eyes and open hearts this feeling of serenity and beauty will soon pervade them ... for the few who come with a critical mindset they will eventually find something that is not right ... and will not tell us just to prove they are right! So, please,if you find during your stay something which is not right ... just tell us!

We look forward to hosting you again soon in Villa le Barone.

Reviewed 4 September 2018

We stayed here two days while on a guided tour of Chianti and really enjoyed the Villa. The service was excellent as were the overall facilities. Our room was in a wing next to the main building off a wonderful lounge area and was well appointed and very comfortable. The several common rooms in the main building were beautifully done. The pool and gardens were terrific as was the outdoor breakfast area. The food was excellent - we had one dinner here as well as the large breakfast buffet. A great experience!

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
corso a, Proprietario at Villa Le Barone, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2018

Dear bigaps,

I hope you enjoyed your overall trip to wonderful Chianti and thank you to have chosen Villa le Barone. I can only say that I am very happy you enjoyed most aspects of the Villa, its pool and gardens. Had you stayed a couple of days more there would have been many more pleasant aspects to discover and enjoy and I hope you will do so on the next time you come.
Thank you for having reviewed your stay with us.

Reviewed 2 September 2018

Under normal circumstances I can imagine I would have rated our stay at the villa Le Barone as a 5 star experience. Unfortunately for us there were a couple of issues which made our stay somewhat less comfortable than we had hoped.

First and foremost I must say that at all times during our 3 night stay, all of the staff were exceedingly friendly and helpful. On our arrival, on a Saturday, we were warmly welcomed and taken to our superior room. The room itself, Room 21 I think, was located in a closely adjacent building. Very tastefully furnished, with a large modern bathroom it looked to be very much what we expected. A major drawback soon became obvious in that the wall mounted air conditioning unit had broken, and a portable unit with a hose feeding out through the window was in place. We were unhappy with this on two counts, the first that the insect grill had to be raised to allow the hose to feed out, and the second was the noise of the unit when in operation. We asked for an alternate room but all that was available was a Classic, which in comparison with the superior was very claustrophobic (we were told had a Junior Suite been available we would have been offered a complementary upgrade). We therefore had no option but to stay in the room we had but, on the advice of the young man who had checked us in, agreed to speak with the receptionist on the follow morning to see what could be done.

The following morning a very helpful lady in reception showed us an alternate Superior room, Room 6, which had been vacated but was unmade up. She explained that we could have this room for the Monday evening but for some reason could not have it the Sunday night. We therefore had no option but to remain in Room 21 for Sunday night. We were then moved on the Monday morning to Room 6 which was a huge improvement. Had we been installed in Room 6 for our stay, with its operational air conditioning, we would have been quite happy with our accommodation. I understand that the air conditioning failed on the Friday, that the unit had to be replaced (a major job) and that parts were not available until the Monday. This is understandably one of those things that was outside of the control of the hotel. Nonetheless it did have a big impact on our quality of sleep, and also I could not see why we were not able to move for the Sunday night. A final comment on the rooms. As confirmation of our booking we were advised that they were "going to reserve the charming superior room with a lovely view". There may be such rooms, and my perspective is entirely subjective, but whilst there are lovely views from the grounds, the view from both of the rooms we occupied were a little disappointing, the outlook being largely obscured by mature trees.

A second issue which we had with our stay was the food. Here I must preface my remarks with the comment that this was to some degree our fault. Prior to our arrival we were asked about food allergies. As my wife is allergic to shellfish we duly advised the hotel and they ensured there was not a problem. It's also the case that my wife and I do not eat beef. I didn't think to mention this because I assumed that there would be choice of main courses. Saturday night's meal was delicious with a lovely piece of lamb. Unfortunately Sunday and Monday nights menus had one vegetarian main course option and 3 beef based options (delicious I am sure from their Maremma herd, but not for us). I advised reception and they were unable to do anything for the Sunday night but my wife and I shared an uninspiring half a roast chicken with roasted potatoes on the Monday night. It's not the Le Barone's fault that we do not eat beef but I would argue it is a little unimaginative to have 3 beef based main courses two nights in a row.

Overall, I have to rate our stay as a 3. The hotel itself is I am sure a wonderful place to stay as witnessed by many other respondents. We were unlucky perhaps in our stay.

Finally, on our departure the owner did apologise for the air conditioning problems and explain the circumstances. It would have been nice if we had been offered something of a discount for our 2 nights disturbed sleep.

Stayed: August 2018
corso a, Proprietario at Villa Le Barone, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2018

Dear Two_Fogies,

Thank you for expressing your – albeit partially negative- opinion on your stay at Villa le Barone and I am very sorry you rate it as a “disappointment” in spite of the many positive things you recognize in our Villa (beauty, tastefulness, quality of room and bathroom, food taste, friendliness of the staff, … ). Thank you all the same!

I would like to comment, though, on the two issues you encountered and wrote at length about:
- Food. Our cooks and I are most careful about proposing our Guests a balanced diet every day of the week, avoiding repetition and over presence on the menu of this or that product but meats in Tuscany are only present through beef, calf, pork, lamb and poultry. For fish, since we are far away from the sea and do not want to offer our Guests frozen products, we propose it on our menu two days a week. Every night there is an offering of three different second course choices (one vegetarian) from the above products with different recipes. Had your wife (as you honestly recognize!) told us her aversion to beef we could with pleasure have offered her something else. (For your information, we have at the moment in the hotel a lady with several severe allergies which she told us about beforehand and are serving her the appropriate food, even though not in the menu, to her entire satisfaction). Frankly, I believe that giving Villa le Barone a bad name on account of your forgetfulness is a bit exaggerated.

- Air Conditioner. You are right: the day before your arrival, the air conditioner serving your room as well as the adjacent one, in spite of being sourced from a good manufacturer, recent and being the object of regular maintenance, “pooped out”. In a hurry, in spite of Italy being almost shut down during the month of August, the electrician came twice to try and re-start it, but the electronic circuit board was burned and there were no spares available. We did not sit and moan, but installed in your room a mobile unit, which- we all agree- is not as silent or efficient as a fixed one, we also immediately ordered a new unit that could be installed in a record time of a week: a feat during the month of August, but too late for you. We proposed you in the meantime the only available room we had but you preferred to stay in the original one. This was an exceptional crisis for us and we dealt with it in the best possible way. Luckily the weather was warm but not hot during your stay and – with open windows – the temperature should not have “disturbed your sleep” I sleep a few yards from the room you had and did not feel the need to turn the A.C. on).

Being polite and close to our Guest’s satisfaction I apologized to you for the inconvenience of the air conditioner (not for the beef issue I was not aware of). At this point, if there is only the matter of money to prevent you from having been happy, please write to Villa le Barone making your request and giving us your bank account.

Regards,

Reviewed 29 August 2018 via mobile

I stayed two nights here with my husband, and my only regret is not staying longer. The house and grounds are beautiful, the service is polished, and the food is delicious. I especially appreciated (1) the booklet of hiking options that leave from the property with detailed directions and timing, (2) the complimentary wine tastings in the evening, (3) the wonderful poolside lunch service, (4) the waiters who remembered you each day. I should have stayed here at least 3 nights, but preferably 4. Chianti is a gorgeous region, and I rushed a bit in order to also spend time in the Val d’Orcia. In the future, I would pick Chianti and Villa Le Barone as the place I’d return to.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
corso a, Proprietario at Villa Le Barone, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2018

Dear hzzz_travels,

without pessing for Guests to have longer stays at Villa le Barone, I am totally in agreement with you that two days are not enough: two days are not enough to be able to visit the so many landmarks we have the luck to be close by, two days are not enough to enjoy the serenity of Villa le Barone, its pool, its tennis, its gardens, ... Some people tend to visit Italy and Tuscany with schedules comparable to a busy business week .... better to do less and more deeply. My wife and I have written itineraries (Car, bicycle, on foot) to discover hidden Chianti off the beaten tracks and I strongly sugget our Guests to make time to follow some of them.
Many thanks for your kind remarks on life, food and staff at Villa Le Barone ... we are very lucky to have the personnel we have!
I hope your trip to Val d'Orcia was as pleasant as your trip in Chianti!
Many thanks for having taken the time to review so nicely yiur experience at Villa le Barone which I hope you and your husband wil visit again.

Reviewed 20 August 2018

Nice overall property ....the good: very nice pool, great restaurant, [Julia was particularly wonderful], concierge , Ms. Harrington , was great, very helpful and nice. nice large shower, .....The bad...first, we arranged to stay in an "historical " room...problem was no one mentioned it was up 4 flights of stairs, the bathroom was also away from the room down a flight of stairs ...So ,we changed our room to a less expensive ,easier to get to room and they charged us the same price as the historical room...the air conditioner broke in our room the 4th day of our stay, and rather than change our room , they gave us a fan and told us to open the window....We met the lady who owns the property the first day, and mentioned our desire to change our room from the one with all the stairs and separate bathroom , and she kind of abruptly told us that she didn't get involved with helping guests, and that we should direct all questions to the front desk....the room:...little counter space in the bathroom , the drawers on the cabinets didn't open without a struggle, and the door itself to the room didn't always open easily ..poor lighting in the bathroom ...

Room Tip: Historical rooms are up lots of stairs, and bathroom is down some stairs away from the room..
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank William G
corso a, Proprietario at Villa Le Barone, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2018

Dear William G,

thank you for having reviewed so quickly your stay at Villa le Barone and thank you for the kind words you wrote about Julia at our Reception, the beauty of our infinity swimming pool, the quality of the food. In spite of this, your other valued comments made the general assessment only average.

While I accept and respect your comments, I would like- after having checked with Julia and Stefania- to tell my side of things:
- You reserved your room 12 months ago and in the meantime requested and obtained from us significant information and reservations for events, restaurants, visits, … (it’s our job and a pleasure to do this!) of which you cancelled a large portion upon arrival to reserve others (it’s still our job, but …).
- On seeing the (beautiful) historical room you had reserved, you told our manageress that Ms.G had recently had an accident (I hope she is now better), felt uncomfortable with the staircase and wanted another room. Villa le Barone was almost full those days but we could provide you a “superior “ room that you declared you were satisfied with. This last minute room change was dealt with for what it was, a last minute cancellation, and we told you the price would be the same. Once again, you told our manageress you were happy with this.
- Villa le Barone has a ground floor, a first floor and a second floor. The room we had reserved for you is accessed from the second floor through a staircase … there are therefore three flight of stairs and not four (this to be precise). On the same factual spirit, the bathroom is adjacent to the room and is one step down … and not one flight of stairs down. The Villa goes back to the 16th century and some quaint architecture is part of it.
- On the A.C. you are right: on August 16th, in spite of preventive maintenance and regular checks the A.C in your room stopped functioning. In spite of the August recess we managed to have an electrician come the same day (he came twice) when the room was empty to try and fix it, but he could not do it because of an electronic board that was burned. Julia came during your dinner to inform you of this. We proposed to put a mobile A.C. unit into your room, but you turned it down. At the time of your stay the weather was not hot and there was a breeze and Julia suggested a fan while leaving the window open. Julia tells me that you answered very cordially you were happy with this and had not used the A.C. until then. These accidents may happen in spite of all our efforts (we managed in spite of summer recess to find a new unit to be installed 8 days after breakdown) and I believe you should somehow recognize the work we did to try and help.
- The Lady who owns the property is my wife of 45 years and – knowing her a little bit- I tend to believe that she did not answer you abruptly “she didn't get involved with helping guests and to go take your problem to Reception”. She is sometimes vivaciously direct with me, but never with Guests :=)))
- I will personally go tomorrow to check and eventually fix the problems you found with opening drawers and door and poor lighting in the bathroom … and thank you for signaling this to me.

I am sorry for this long answer partially due to my desire to set the record straight and partially due to a rainy afternoon (it sometimes happens also in Chianti) that prevents me for going out to pick the first ripe figs. It also means that we value our Guests and sincerely want to make them happy.

We hope to host you again at Villa le Barone and wish you and Ms.G all the best,