When I was a kid I spent with my family 12 summers on Greek islands. This year I took my wife and kids to the country of my wonderful memories and dreams. We spent 10 days this August at the Sunlight Hotel [--------------] at the island of Crete and this turned out to be one of the greatest vacation decisions I have ever made.
The hotel, or some people might call it a large B&B, is family run (father-Manoilis, mother-Elena and son-Jorgos/George) with some support staff. Booking the room via email with George (Jorgos) was fast, easy, and seamless. The price was very reasonable and competitive. The staff works round-the-clock and we always had that felling of a personal and human touch that is often missing in big hotels. Moreover, we always felt that our two small kids (1and 6) were very safe as being at the friends’ house. The hotel and all its amenities are, let me put it in two simple words: nice and clean. There is nothing fancy or luxurious in the hotel that some spoiled tourists might expect, but everything was tasteful and just about right. In sum, the best way to see and feel the countries like Greece and places such as Crete is to stay at the hotels like Sunlight.
Let me be more specific now.
1. The hotel is nested on the top of the hill with a breath-taking view of the entire Aghios Nikolaos bay. It should be noted that every single room has a view. Having the morning coffee or afternoon supper on the balcony is one of the kind experience.
2. The hotel is situated between Aghios Nikolaos and Elounda (2.5 miles away from each), right on the main road, which gives you a better choice of what beach/shopping/restaurant/night club to go to. There is a bus stop outside the hotel.
3. Rooms of a decent size are very light, modestly designed and each with a large balcony. They all have A/C and an optional small fridge. Bathrooms have a bath tub and a small window so you get to enjoy the Aghios Nikolaos while taking shower. They are cleaned every day and sheets are changed twice a week.
4. There is a very nice warm-feeling bar on the top floor of the hotel with satellite TV and DVD player. The bar has a great balcony with small tables and some of best views from the hotel.
5. Pool is about 20x10 yards, with palm trees and it is cleaned daily. What is nice about the pool is that is located on the side of the hotel and cannot be seen from any of the hotel room. This gives you a peace of privacy. In addition, the pool is rarely crowded. The architect of the hotel did a great job by positioning the pool to also have a great open view of the Aghios Nikolaos Bay. There is also a bar at the pool.
6. A small grocery store is only a half a mile away and a good restaurant is 30 yards away in the nearby apartment village.
7. The only missing peace, at least for me, a guest computer with the internet connection. Jorge/George promised that he will have it for the next season.
Overall, we had a very enjoyable time and highly recommend this hotel. We are definitely going back to the Sunlight Hotel next summer!
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, 5viajes2012 S.L., Hotels.com, Travel Republic (UK), LoveHolidays and Booking.com so you can book your Sunlight Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sunlight Hotel Agia Galini, Crete