All reviews bandol wine bars cafes small village quaint hotel hilltop village fantastic restaurant worth the trip panoramic view hope to return the main hotel one star swimming pool lovely room hidden gem owners and staff michelin chef yogurt
Reviewed 22 July 2018 via mobile

My husband and I visited this hotel to celebrate our 10 year anniversary. It’s a high end boutique hotel in a lovely traditional French hilltop village. Staff very friendly and extremely helpful and the pool area and bistro restaurant were lovely. The only area of disappointment for me was the rooms. We paid quite a lot more money for a superior room which should have given us a panoramic view, large bed and large room. The first room that we were given was on the ground floor and had a view of the swimming pool railings. I asked to move ( something I don’t usually do but because we had paid the money for a view and it was a special occasion I did ) and the lady on reception managed the situation very well and moved us immediately. However the replacement room was unfortunately also disappointing as even though we had a slightly better view, the room was very small and for me was more in line with a classic room. So I would avoid the Clementine room as it is much smaller than the others of the same price due to being next to the stairway. Other than that I would recommend this hotel for a chilled out, special stay.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
HBE83, Directeur général at Hostellerie Berard, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2018

Dear Guests,

Thans for your message.

All rooms in our boutique Hotel 4* have the regular size for the category. For exemple, the Size in "Clementine room" is 18 sqm (classified room in superior style).

A classic room (or standard) size is around 10-12 sqm...

Our junior suites size is between 25 and 30 sqm.

The hostellerie Berard is located in a small traditional village and our buildings are from the 11th century and 19th century.

The rooms harmonize perfectly with the different buildings.

Waiting the great pleasure welcome you again,

All best,

Danièle BERARD

Reviewed 1 June 2018

An excellent, full-service hotel, spa and gourmet restaurant, with a great location for visiting the coast, the Bandol wine region, and Circuit Paul Ricard. This was the favored hotel for racing teams for many years, and the bar area has many photos on the wall of famous racecar drivers and teams. We only ate breakfast here once: the view is amazing, and the breakfast spread is extensive, but we only ever eat a croissant and coffee, so it was a bit much for us. We would pick up delicious fresh croissants at the wood-fired boulangerie a short walk away, and enjoy them with coffee at one of the bars near the hotel.
There are several parking options; The Hotel has a garage and a (free) gated lot. We used the public lot just below the hotel: paved, plenty of space, and convenient to our room and for driving in and out.
There was a wonderful celebration with music and folk dancing in the village on Saturday night that we enjoyed with a biere from the Cercle de Travailleurs.
We would certainly stay here again!

Room Tip: Some rooms are small, might want to ask for a larger one
  • Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 March 2018 via mobile

On arrival my colleagues and I were very impressed by the hotel. Staff are friendly and the layout is quite quirky and interesting. Two of our rooms were outside of the main hotel and across the road next to a swimming pool. I’m located in Pain Brule while one of my colleagues is next door in noisette.

Breakfast is very good, there’s a good selection here and orange juice, yoghurts, smoked salmon etc. All taste high quality. You can make your own waffles and boiled eggs too. Staff come round to offer hot drinks but this can be very slow so we ask on arrival. The view from the breakfast area is beautiful. Breakfast isn’t served until 7 so if your here for work or a flight and out early you might miss out. I

The rooms are really nice, well maintained and cleaned daily. There’s a few issues though - both my room and noisette have TVs that turn themselves on automatically in the middle of the night. I mentioned this to reception and they had no idea why. As I don’t use the TV I ended up pulling the plug out of it to stop this happening, my colleague didn’t and he’s reported his TV turn on around the same time every single night. I’ve spotted ants in my bathroom on two separate occasions. Noisette’s front door is very awkward to open and often gets jammed. Pain Brule’s main light switch is quite faulty with it not working all of the time.

There’s a free car park owned by the hotel just down the hill. It has a security gate and seems quite safe.

Aside from these issues though this hotel is great.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 September 2017 via mobile

We went there for the 2 day culinary school. One day tuition and one day ebike tour. Both activities were excellent. Monsieur Berard is a knowledgeable and delightful man who loves cooking and teaching. The class was fun and informative. I wish we'd done more classes. The chef speaks very little English but the interpreter, Angela was very good. She is very friendly and enthusiastic. Her interpreting style was perfect.
The ebike tour also was great. We all very much liked Phillipe our guide. He is a local, speaks quite good English and was considerate and good company. We had two great days. It was a very pleasant stay. I'd go again.
The staff at the Hostellerie were superb. Very friendly and had excellent senses of humour.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 August 2017 via mobile

We booked this hotel based on making use of their hotel spa.

It turns out the spa is a long, hilly walk including staircases. That's ok but when we arrived there we were told there was no massage availability until after we booked out 5 days later. Eventually, they found one hour for one person before we left. My wife was incensed.

The room is tiny and up 2 flights of dangerous stairs. There is no elevator of any kind.

It is a nice little village up tight and winding roads with a car park some distance and many stairs from the hotel.

If you have any sort of mobility issues or are looking for a spa vacation, you are best to avoid this hotel.

Certainly the stay here has been ruined for my wife.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kpBunbury
HBE83, Directeur général at Hostellerie Berard, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2017

Dear Guest,

I note you are still at the hotel while writing this review!

I feel that you selected the wrong type of establishment and that a standard resort, without floors or stairs, would be better adapted to your requirements.

Our establishment (a cluster of 4 ancient buildings) offers only 35 rooms and is set in the heart of a little Provencal village. Yes, we do have stairs, and as the buildings are very old (11th-century monastery and 19th-century constructions) we are unable to install lifts everywhere.

The only building fitted with a lift is the one next to the Aromaspa.

Regarding our Spa as you mentioned it: our spa team welcomes guests and provides treatments according to available times, all of which were refused by you. The only time that was suitable was at the end of your stay.

We always do our best to please our guests and do not understand your aggressive reaction.

We are an honest, family-run establishment and our spa clientele appreciates our professionalism and commitment to quality service.

Best wishes,