All reviews extremely clean rooms beautiful forest air conditioning costa rica victor fridge bilingual trees nature
Reviewed 8 March 2017 via mobile

What a great family run business in a beautiful private forest setting! Cindy runs an amazing kitchen that serves up delish local bites in a relaxed, friendly atmosphere. Her coconut flan is other worldly!

Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 February 2017 via mobile

We booked a room through booking.com late at night because our SUV vehicle could not make it up to the hotel we previously had booked. I chose this place for the price and the good reviews. When I got to the room I saw a cockroach in the bathroom and as I was going closer another one came out at me. I left the room and advised the reception before we had even paid. They told us that it's normal, the cockroaches come out at night and slide under the doors but for double the price they could give us a suite on a second floor that had no cockroaches. Since it was very late and we had no other choice we agreed to the price. I've been traveling for a month in Costa Rica and been to many different types of hotel and this is the first time I've seen cockroaches in my room or that I'm being told that it's a normal thing.

Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Vanessa M
Reviewed 13 February 2017

Wow. Of all the traveling I have done, never before have I felt so welcomed and truly loved in one hostel or hotel. Meals were thoughtfully personalized with many ingredients picked freshly right on site. I still dream about Cindy (the owner's) fresh starfruit juice and delectable meals that would fill me up for whole days of activities and adventure. Her two daughters could not have been sweeter and her whole family was incredibly accommodating and kind. The rooms were great, with lots of character and everything you need for an easygoing stay. The location is sublime and we were able to hike around the beautiful grounds on the property and even spotted some Costa Rican wildlife (sloths, butterflies, etc.). Not too far down the road is a breathtaking waterfall which serves as a perfect respite from the Central American heat, and shortly in the other direction is a general store with quality ice cream and snacks (not that you'd need anything other than Cindy's meals!). Local surfing at the Playa Ballena National Park is wonderful too, if you get the chance to take part in that. The only part of this visit that I didn't enjoy was saying goodbye to Cindy and her lovely family. I'll always remember them fondly; they were an integral part of my experience in/adoration for the beautiful country of Costa Rica. It's been eight months since I visited but I still think of this trip and this hostel on a daily basis and could not recommend it more highly. Cindy is living proof that hard work and dedication can lead to such a fulfilling life and I'd highly encourage you to talk to her in more depth--she has a life-changing impact and a heart of gold. Serving others brings her so much joy and her loving, optimistic, passionate energy is contagious. Thank you, Cabinas Los Laureles, for the visit of a lifetime.

Room Tip: higher floor rooms/rooms in the multiple-story building have a larger layout
  • Stayed: June 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 February 2017 via mobile

Many of the hotels and b&b's in Costa Rica is owned by expats, so it was really nice to stay with a local family. Its very good value - the housing is basic but you will have eveything you need. The 2 Victors (sr & jr) and Cindy the chef (with husband) all contributeted so our stay was both relaxing and full of adventures.

We will allways remember our kayakktour with Victor and all the monkeys, birds and our first envounter with a Boa constructor. Victor knows a lot about the nature and environement. Cindys filled patacones is really, really good, the breakfast is nice and it sort of feels like eating at a friends or relatives house.

If you, as we did, stay in one of the cabins, make sure to bring a flashlight.

Much recomended!

Stayed: January 2017
1  Thank LeniT333
Reviewed 2 January 2017

We stayed 4 nights and our first night we were quite late because of flights that were delayed and rescheduled. Everyone was great at this family business. The rooms were a great value, they were clean, had air conditioning, nice large tiled showers and for a budget motel it was roomy.

Room Tip: I think all of the rooms are fine.
  • Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple