All reviews long drive his wife beautiful surroundings local knowledge pandy inn the pub friendly hosts breakfast ingredients share their knowledge great breakfast a lovely stay walking offa's dyke other guests evening meal history keith character
Reviewed 29 April 2018 via mobile

Stayed for one night on the way back from Snowdonia. Keith and his wife were very welcoming and knowledgeable about the house and area. The breakfast was perfect and all local produce. The directions were very clear but be careful you don’t end up on the mountain. Close to Abergavenny and was a perfect stopover with our dog Freddie to take a walk up Sugarloaf mountain.

Date of stay: April 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 March 2018 via mobile

After a 7 hour journey to Wales (with 3 hours parked on the M1 due to the snow and serious accidents), I arrived at Brynhonddu. It took some getting up the narrow drive in the snow but I was relieved to have arrived.

After parking in the makeshift 'car park' (a bit of grass by the side of the drive) and carrying all my luggage up the steep, snow covered, unlit hill, I rang the doorbell. After ringing and knocking for just under 10 minutes, the door opened and I was greeted with a very stern telling off. "You're about 3 hours too late! Check in is between 5pm and 6pm! It says so on the booking confirmation!"

The booking confirmation did not mention this, but of course I would have been there in good time had there not been several serious accidents on the motorways.

What an awful way to welcome a weary guest. I truly wanted to turn around and leave given the appalling attitude of the 'host.

I was then patronised further when asked if I got lost and went up the mountain. No I said, I got straight here except for the incidents on the motorways. 'You must have a TomTom", he said. From the other reviews, I see this is part of his welcome patter. He came across as rude, arrogant and as though he was doing me a massive favour by letting me stay.

I was treated to a tour of the dining room. "This is where we sit when we have breakfast" (around one large table). I explained that it was fine, as I would be out before they served breakfast. This didn't go down well with the 'host'.

I was then shown to my cupboard. They may call it a room, but it's a cupboard. No window. Just enough room to open the door. I could touch the side walls with both arms outstretched. This was clearly a store cupboard or WC at some point, now 'converted' to a guest room and given the inappropriate title "The Gold Room". Maybe a play on it's likely former use as a WC.

Then I was given a tour of the hotel manual, from start to finish. Rules and regulations. The local area. The local food and drink establishments. On and on it goes, until you eventually have an out of body experience until it's all over.

I was booked in for 3 nights. I stayed that one night, and I did NOT return.

Date of stay: March 2018
Trip type: Travelled on business
2  Thank Jase C
Reviewed 23 September 2017 via mobile

I'd read the reviews so knew that the owner was an interesting character. My confirmation email (via toprooms) said to arrive between 5 and 9pm but when we arrived at 8 we were greeted with "did you get lost" and a firm statement by our host that we should have been there at 6pm! After this slightly unfortunate start we had a reasonable stay. The house is very dated with masses of stuff everywhere and lots of flowery wallpaper, however the rooms were fine if not large and (big plus) we were provided with fresh milk for tea in our rooms. Breakfast was good. It's is quite a long way from the pub so I'd recommend eating beforehand if you don't want to walk a long way. We had a car so drove down to the pub and got a reasonable meal served quite late (which was a plus as many locally stopped at 9pm). The house is slightly tricky to find but when we turned round we found we had missed a small tourist sign pointing to it. The entrance to the drive has a lodge house but I couldn't see a sign on it - the finger post which we missed is on the other side of the road. Overall this place is fine if it's convenient for your trip and you can cope with quirky.

Date of stay: August 2017
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 30 August 2017

We had booked here for a night while walking the Offa's Dyke path. We unfortunately missed the turnoff (signage very poor) and walked an extra 2 miles, ending up in pandy!
At least we had a good meal at the Pandy Inn before finally reaching the house.
This is a quirky, very cluttered old country house. Most of our rooms were very basic but adequate, but one single room was dreadful, with brown floor, walls, ceiling and Furnishings No window in this room, light only coming through the door from the bathroom.
Our impression was that the elderly couple who run the house are extremely proud of it and keen to share their knowledge, but they struggle to cope with providing hospitality to weary travellers. Breakfast unforgettable but adequate!

Room tip: Avoid the single room!!
Date of stay: August 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 July 2017 via mobile

Chose this B&B as well located at a reasonable price for exploring Black Mountains. Friendly hosts brimming with local knowledge proved very helpful in planning our days out. Great breakfast. Room small but perfectly adequate and clean. Thanks for a lovely stay.

Date of stay: July 2017