All reviews beef sausage outdoor pool newly refurbished hotel through secret escapes kippers lovely hotel afternoon tea continental breakfast course dinner deluxe room restaurant staff lady on reception poached eggs high standard lounge area bottle of prosecco full english
Reviewed 19 September 2018

Three day stop at this good looking hotel in Matlock Bath , great location for local attractions at a reasonable price for two nights.
Had a look at reviews and a few saying staff where young and inexperenced , but found all service to be acceptable so no prob,s on that account. Had a look at evening meal but a bit to expensive for me so went out for evening meal with quite a few local places available. Did note able to order certain meals for room service which where reason priced.
Did not use spa features as to be honest , as it seems you have to book treatments and not included in price of room and unsure if you really get value for money......most spa hotels have free use of there features but able to book treatments as extra,s maybe something hotel needs to look into.
Breakfast was a reasonably priced and quite a lot of guest,s where using and enjoying.
Room 1 was very good and again service was spot on again can recommend.
So overall , will be happy to ecommend for travellers if bed and breakfast is all you require.......would i use again......Yes

Room tip: Room 1 was very clean and service good.
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 September 2018

I can’t help but feel this hotel is not doing itself justice. At check-in, no information was given about the facilities or where anything is. I only found out about the bar, restaurant, spa, and grounds from other people I knew who were staying and had wandered around. This meant by the time I knew they were there, I didn’t really have the opportunity to use them. I can see others have mentioned the very young staff, and that is true and not necessarily a problem, but whilst they were friendly, I felt they lacked confidence and were not as proactive as someone more experienced might be. Our room was clean, if not quite what I would have expected for a ‘superior’ room. Great bathroom, comfortable (if not very big) bed. Some decorative issues and only basic Freeview TV. Quite noisy and can easily hear every movement in the next room. All in all, it’s a nice hotel but doesn’t really have a luxury feel that I would expect for the price.

2  Thank katfiction202
Reviewed 17 September 2018

We stayed here one night on a special Secret Escape deal which included High Tea. We stayed a Saturday night and I phoned the hotel after booking to see if I needed to book the high tea. I was informed reservations were not necessary and could book a time when we checked in. On arrival last Saturday we were told they had a wedding at the hotel so High Tea was not being served that day but we could have it on the Sunday afternoon. LUCKILY we only lived 90 minutes away from this area so not much of a problem. If we had been doing a road tour and travelling onwards it would have presented a problem and we would have missed out.
Other than that the staff we very friendly, the hotel was well decorated and very clean and the rooms clean, large and airy. We were in an annexe building attached to the hotel and our rooms had a wall of window (one opened) and a door opening on to a small balcony overlooking the very large (near olympic sized) swimming pool which unfortunately was empty for renovation.
The bed was comfortable with choice of firm and soft pillows. We had a 2 seaters sofa in our room and our friends had 2 easy chairs. There was a desk/dressing table with tea/coffee making and 2 small bottles of water provided. The bathroom was light and airy and clean with fresh white towels and heated towel rain and we had shower in the bath with glass screen. Miniature ESPA Toiletries were provided...soap, shower gel, shampoo and conditioner but no body lotion. There is an ESPA Spa in the hotel but we did not use any of it's services.
We didn't eat that evening the hotel but walked down to Matlock Bath town and ate in The Fishpond restaurant/pub. I have done a separate review for this but can recommend as 95% of eating establishments in the town are fish and chip shops!!!
Our breakast was very nice and we had the usual continental - bagels, crumpets, muffins, assorted breads. Sweet breakfast pastries...sweet and savoury spreads. Assorted cereal and fruit. There are assorted egg dishes on the written menu as well as different types of porridge dishes and these are available to order from your waitress when you request your tea/coffee and juices.
After check out we went down to Masson Mill 1/3 mile from the hotel and easily walked in good weather for their many shops and also the fantastic weaving museum. I have done a separate review of Richard Arkwright's Masson Mill and thoroughly recommend it you have any interest in history and the industrial revolution.
We returned to the hotel in the afternoon for our afternoon tea and wow.....normally the high tea provided to use would have cost £14.95 per person but this was included in the deal we had...wow again. See the photo's...we had 2 small scones each with cream and jam plus the tiered tray...one tray per couple. Each person had a beef finger sandwich, cheese & pickle wrap and smoked salmon finger sandwich. We each had a sausage roll and small quiche plus a macaron each, slice of carrot cake and a profiterole ball with a 'nutella' type filling. Plus a lemon possit with raspberry couli.
We couldn't eat it all and Chloe who was wonderful, friendly and helpful and gave us serviettes to wrap the scones up to take away. She also offered to get the carrot cake wrapped but we managed to finish that in the end.
If you can get the hotel deal with afternoon tea it's well worth it.

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank marks611
Reviewed 17 September 2018 via mobile

I can’t describe how disappointed I am. Please do take into consideration the bad reviews, this many people cannot be wrong.
Firstly, this hotel is trying too hard. It is run by 16-24 year olds. And whilst they are polite, no one is in control. This is not a four star hotel. It doesn’t even come close.

I don’t even know where to begin. Every single bad review I’ve just read is EXACTLY how we feel.

We booked this 8 months ago for our first wedding anniversary. We had to rearrange our stay due to health issues, which made us even more excited to stay, as we really needed it. On arrival, similar to another persons review, we had to look for reception. It was not obvious! No one explained the facilities or showed us around. We had upgraded to a ‘posh’ room for our anniversary - I wouldn’t bother. It made me resent the cost even more. The curtains are damaged and don’t close, there are stains everywhere, the toilet seat is broken and the water in the bathroom is cold.
We had decided to eat in the restaurant on the first evening, it sounded really nice. It’s trying too hard! Posh menu, expensive prices with Kanye West using the N word. Totally bizarre.
My husband had reminded reception that this was our first anniversary and it would be lovely if they could make it special. We weren’t expecting something for nothing but in a hotel that you pay a lot of money for and 4* rating for, a complimentary glass of prosecco maybe wouldn’t go amiss??
Breakfast is lovely, but yes, no meats. A bit odd.
When we booked (many moons ago) we also booked a spa treatment, so we enquired how and where (as this wasn’t explained) we arrived at “the spa” two hours in advance to make use of the facilities and relax before our massage. On our arrival we were told that the jacuzzi wasn’t working. Alarm bells already in full swing. We went to the “steam room”, just don’t! No steam. Not hot. Smells like old socks. The sauna was the same temperature as inside. So what spa is there to constitute a spa?? Especially as the two pools (which I didn’t know existed) were out of of order.

I agree with another review, all hotels that host weddings should have the decency to let other guests know on booking. Our ‘posh’ room was directly over a VERY loud wedding, with music blaring until the early hours and kids running up and down the halls. I’m no killjoy, but seriously??

All in all a massive waste of money. Will not be staying again. Will not recommend to anyone unless they buck their ideas up! Too much money for what it actually is.

It has potential but sadly isn’t being made the most of

7  Thank HannahT1712
Reviewed 14 September 2018 via mobile

We stayed here as it was a spa hotel and was looking to relax as a birthday gift for my partner, we checked in and wanted to book a spa treatment for the next day but no one was available, so was told by the man on reception you can book tomorrow, this was the start of it, after attempting to sleep in a bed that was no way near big enough for two, I complained at 1 in the morning, ibget there's not a lot they can do but I felt they needed to know and the night staff even said they get a lot of complaints about the room we had (room 5 if your ever unlucky enough to be stuffed in there) we complained again in the morning, to there credit they upgraded the room, but this ment we had to wait for the room to be made ready, but it was to be done as a priority.

3 and a half hours later it was ready (priority) and we had also tried to book a spa treatment to be told that it was fully booked that day, if they knew this couldn't they have said the day before when we tried to book and was told to do it in the morning?

The rest of the stay was fine but we felt like we had wasted the main day of our stay as we were so tired all we wanted to do was sleep

Overall not a great experience for somewhere you pay a little more for to get supposedly better experience

6  Thank Tristan H