“Don't go there”
Review of The Ocean Blue

The Ocean Blue
Ranked #28 of 32 Hotels in Ialyssos
Reviewed 1 December 2016 via mobile

Definitely 1 point to this hotel! Rhodos island is great, but the thing that disturbed this wonderful vacation was this hotel. For sure not 4 star hotel! I heard so many people complaining about this hotel around the pool. Don't recommend to go there.
First, we were promised to have two separate beds, but we had one bed. We went to ask for another room and got it after 2 days. In the second room there was still one bed with two different madrasses. In both of the rooms we didn't have towels at all, so had to ask for them. Also, to go to the pool there are no extra towels.
Second, our TV didn't work and when we changed the room the TV didn't have remote control. We had one tiny TV, there are basically no plasma TVs in that hotel.
Third, the hotel pool's floor is broken so i hit my big toe and the blood was running everywhere until i got a plaster on it.
Fourth, we had a big cockroach in our room.
Fifth, i can't even describe the food in that hotel. We had all inclusive, but could barely eat there. Also, sweaty and dirty man from the kitchen was walking around, so i lost my appetite. There were not enough glasses, so they brought all the time the plastic cups out and they run out of knives and spoons also. There was no selection of food, only eggs and sausages for the breakfast. There were no fruits, only watermelons for dinner.
Also, there were no plankets, so i had to sleep under the bed linen and the cover.
Plus there are airplanes flying over the hotel in every 10-20 minutes all day.

Stayed: September 2016, travelled with family

Reviewed 17 November 2016

dirty rooms dirty bathrooms food cold food awful. no restaurant as per amenities only main restaurant no pool bar been shut for years staff don't want to know. had to ask for clean towels and sheets. might get 2 star status just about. save your money and make sure you read all the feed back. this place is a disaster.

Room Tip: all rooms are the same
Reviewed 7 October 2016 via mobile

Well....what can I say?........after reading some of the reviews here me and my husband agonised over whether to amend our booking but decided it surely can't be THAT bad and thought we would just go and make the most of it and maybe everyone on here was just being a bit nit picky and overly harsh....oh how wrong we were. We are not moaners but by the time you leave this hotel you will be I assure you.

The saddest part of all is that this hotel does look like it once was, (and still could be) a lovely 4* hotel but it has not been maintained or cared for and it's blatantly obvious that providing guests with the amenities they advertise are not even no. 100 on their list of priorities.

I'll go point by point to make things easier (although I could quite literally go on FOREVER about how diabolical this prison (I mean "HOTEL!!") actually is.....

First impressions of the hotel?..... Dated...very dated. It looked to be a 4* hotel .......in the 60s. We were given our wrist bands by the receptionist who said one thing to us "everything free"...I'll admit that it worried me as I kinda got the impression that he was trying to justify the awful time we were about to have.

*FOOD!........absolutely awful! I would rather eat a whole bag of onions than eat here ever again!!
Each day was the same. Pasta, fatty sloppy vat of sauce, 2/3 choices of dry, tough suspicious looking meat (which the stray dogs wouldn't eat from me when I offered it to them), bread (very rarely any butter/margarine to go with it) and wilted,dirty looking salad. Dessert nearly EVERY day was......watermelon. One day they had a few oranges and I swear it was like the Hillsborough Disaster!
Not ONE thing looked appetising (and I eat anything!).
I felt sorry for the families with children as there is no children's menu. One couple wandered around the diabolical choice with dubious expressions on their faces, before settling on handing their 1 year old a wedge of stale bread. Don't expect to see potatoes there. (If you do treat them like gold dust!). No toaster at breakfast, no bacon, no fruit variety, no cereal, milk. Pretty much just rubbery eggs and hot dog sausage.Don't bother complaining to the staff. THEY DON'T CARE!!

The snack bar consisted mostly of.....cake (which was ironic given the lack of dessert at lunch and dinner). There were also dry cheese and cold meat rolls on stale bread (for the daring amongst you).That was it. Occasionally they had slices of bread out (wow!). This is the first holiday where we have actually lost weight on an "all inclusive" get away. If you do make the mistake of venturing here then buy some cold meats, bread etc from the supermarket and make your own. There's a handful of places in the area to eat which are lovely but this will cost you so make sure you take lots of cash!

*DRINKS: Gross! Given the choice I would prefer to drink from the septic tank of a 700lb man! They say they have a wide drink selection......they don't. If you're expecting to get quietly tiddly in the sunshine you won't! It's all watered down beer and wine (you can drink enough to sink the Titanic but you will never get drunk). Whenever we went to the bar and asked for a spirit we were told "finished" and "no" (nice!); when we could clearly see bottles on the shelf behind the bar man (and this was at 9pm!). Even if you're willing to pay for it! No no no they will tell you. No Bacardi, no Malibu, no whisky, no vodka (only 4 bottles a night. Once it's gone it's gone!) The majority of guests were going to the supermarket and buying their own booze to drink at this "4* all inclusive hotel" (everything free my left butt cheek!). Again..Don't bother complaining to the staff. THEY DON'T CARE!!

We found a little sports bar out of the hotel and to the right who were lovely enough to serve us 2 very tasty chicken gyros' and 2 bottles of water for a brilliant price (€5.60 total). We had lunch here every day for the majority of the holiday. The hotel across the road was also very nice. All in all we spent over £700 on eating out every day for 8 days which was infuriating given that we paid for all inclusive. No excursions for us! Hard work and money wasted!

*ROOMS: I felt like I was in Rodney and Del Boys flat in Peckham! But a dirty version. Lampshades were dirty and broken, sheets had brown stains on them, mattresses with massive sweat stains, duvets smelt musty and the fridge smelt of cheese.

*BATHROOMS:
I would rather take a shower in gasoline whilst playing with matches than wash here. The shower had lots of jets and complicated knobs on it (quite hi tech).... but it was encrusted in lime scale and dirt and didn't work! We felt compelled to go to the shop to buy bleach to give the bathroom a good clean before we attempted to wash in it. When we finally did, the shower head was broken and dribbled stinky tepid water at you. I must admit we felt dirtier getting out than we did going in. The sink smelt of eggy drains whenever you left the water running for longer than 5 seconds. By the time we left we felt like we'd been at Glastonbury for the week...seriously, I think if we had shaved off a hobos beard and used it as our own personal loofah then we would have been cleaner than what we were....

CLEANING STAFF: very inconsistent throughout. Sometimes taking all towels and leaving no replacements and leaving the balcony doors open on many occasions which resulted in mosquito bites everywhere! Ouch! They sometimes came into the room, turned down the bed and neglected to take cups and glasses out with them. Every day there was heaps of dirty dishes with old food stacked up on the banisters. Not ONCE did I see them with a hoover. Just a bedraggled looking brush with the whole population of Greece's pubic hairs on it. Very rarely changed the sheets and that was only because we stripped the bed ourselves and put the dirty sheets on the floor as a hint. Once my husband asked the maid if he could take a toilet roll from the trolley, as we had none and you'd swear he'd asked her for a kidney.

POOL AREA: The pool is ok. The water appeared to be clean but the sun beds need to be replaced as most of them are broken. The outside shower is disgusting! The water slides are dry and rarely have water running down them. This lead to a few burns over the course of the holiday. (Obviously they are saving on their water/power bills or can't pay them). No lifeguards and inconsistent animation team so if you have kids don't expect a break. Railings are hanging off around the pool which is an accident waiting to happen. There are also many broken tiles at the bottom of the pool so be careful. My husband cut his foot and took the broken tiles to reception (his patience at an all time low); the man behind the desk appeared to be "on the phone" and waved him away rudely. Clearly the staff here are not paid enough to care about delivering 4* customer service.

Wifi is 30€ per week which Is extortionate seeing as it rarely works anyway. Instead I ended up using my data and ran up a hefty phone bill to go on top of the additional money we had spent on food and drink!

STAFF: They were all very very miserable and rude. The atmosphere was as if they were all on death row. If you meet the owner then you will understand why immediately. They all look very close to throwing themselves from the roof and hanging from a nail by their eyelids! If you don't think it's possible to look this downtrodden then be my guest and come see for yourself.

GYM & SPA: All I can say is ....they're non existent. The "gym" made me laugh out loud hysterically for about 4 days! It's in a dark, bare dungeon with about 4/5 pieces of exhausted,
dangerous looking equipment. I sent a photo to my sister in law (a trained personal trainer) and she could not believe her eyes. I didn't even attempt to try and book myself a massage as id read reviews of people getting hand massages in the reception area (laughable!). Nobody mans that area either so I certainly didn't feel safe down there.

The hotel room phone rang sporadically at odd hours for about 5 seconds waking you up. On one occasion it rang at 3am,4am,5am and 5.30am by which time I was wide awake so disconnected the damn thing. Obviously some genius at reception calling our room number by mistake. My husband went down the next day to complain to be told by the receptionist "was not here last night".

Overall the attitude of the staff and management was intimidating. Whenever we saw someone complaining the staff would be extremely rude. They would either be ignored or shrugged at or in some cases shouted at aggressively. Knowing that any more complaints wouldn't be taken seriously we realised it was time to do something we have never felt the need to do before....we booked another hotel and moved for the last few days (thank you to my mother in law). This of course meant more money AGAIN but we were so depressed, stressed and SO fed up, we just couldn't face staying in this complete cow pat of a hotel any longer.

When we checked out a week early we were not questioned as to why, we were not asked how they could improve or make their facilities better ....nope ..you've guessed it....they didn't care!

In short I am absolutely horrified that someone, somewhere has awarded this hotel a 4* rating. I have stayed in 2* that have been much better. Whoever it was is obviously used to prison camp style conditions and doesn't like being clean, fed or having their basic human needs fulfilled. It gob smacks me that the sheer number of terrible reviews hasn't encouraged more operators to take this hotel off their booking lists. As far as I'm concerned it is blatant mis-advertisement and words cannot describe how utterly furious we are for letting them take our hard earned money when we got absolutely nothing back in return!

Please please please do not put your money in these people's pockets. It's very clear they are cutting as many corners as possible and don't care about their guests so think twice before coming here.

Stayed: September 2016
3  Thank Stephanie D
Reviewed 6 October 2016

Our mission was to book a late September/early October medium priced quiet, relaxing, sunny poolside/beach style all inclusive holiday on Rhodes.
Here is a factual evidence based account of our experience at ‘The Ocean Blue’ followed by an honest and personal opinion. Photos refer.

Positives: Weather sunny and approx. 26-28 degrees most days. Plenty of poolside sunbeds as end of season. Pool ok and clean although some small tiles missing. Beachfront location. €2.60 20minute bus ride to the wonderful Rhodes Town/Old Town.

Negatives: Food. Appallingly below acceptable basic quality standards and expectations. Breakfast consisted of plastic cheese slices and spam like ham. Bread (no toast or butter/spread), cake, jam and some cheesy/creamy stuff. Coffee was beyond belief. Brown liquid dispensed from a machine.. Fried eggs which languished in a pool of grease while being allowed to cool down – hard boiled eggs and tinned frankfurters which ended up in a salad at lunchtime.. Lunch consisted of soup, mountains of salad dressed up in various guises (healthy but boring and predictable). Meat, fish and pasta dishes once ‘hot’ were left to cool giving the flies a nice place to lay their eggs. The ‘hot’ cabinets used to display the food were disgustingly filthy and un-hygienic and probably a health hazard. Sweet/pudding consisted of mountains of watermelon (again healthy but all we got for the first week). Second week oranges cut up and then sliced apples.. Good old basic favourites like french fries and ice cream were nowhere to be seen. Evening meal – refer to lunchtime menu. Poolside snack bar offered re-hashed plastic cheese and spam like ham rolls and cake. Left overs from breakfast basically. Same brown liquid served as ‘coffee’. We avoided the restaurant for the second week of our stay and used local places or Rhodes Town to eat..
Bedroom: Basic, tatty but bed was comfortable and made over each day and fresh towels and toilet rolls supplied, air con OK. Our sofa was torn and tatty. Bathroom was not cleaned during our stay. The bath/shower arrangement was deplorable as follows: The whirlpool (Jacuzzi) style baths were most likely fitted approx 15/20 years ago?. Whirlpool baths need regular disinfecting to keep the pipework and jets clean and safe to use (harmful bacteria and ‘bugs’ feed off of stagnant water that lays in the pipework). The bath in our room – and most of the others we saw - had clearly not been disinfected for years and were in poor condition and had poor drainage causing bath to fill up during a shower. As a consequence the retractable shower heads & hoses we were expected to use (either standing, crouching, kneeling or sitting in bath using one hand to hold shower!!) can fall into the water caused by poor drainage. Potential harmful bacteria from years of guest usage means the showerheads have been regularly immersed in ‘soiled water’… I’ll leave it to your imagination what that could mean. UK water regulations forbid shower heads being able to fall into ‘soiled water’ for this very reason.. Not sure this hotel is aware or that bothered with such matters.. Balcony window double glazed unit had blown it’s seal many years ago and was in a very poor state. Our room smoke/fire alarm was broken and taped up. All bedroom furniture was left dusty during our stay.
Holiday company website ‘blurb’ mentions that apart from the self service dining room the hotel also has an a la carte restaurant (‘Pieces Of Eight’) where you can enjoy authentic Greek food..!! It was closed and being used as a store room.. A pool bar (also closed). Various guest activities were on offer inc poolside darts, aerobics and archery.. A shack had been built with a hand made target drawn on it for the archery - behind which was a kids play ground and volley ball court.!! One guest actually did let go a metal tipped arrow which flew into the kids play area.. Luckily there were no kids there at the time. Loose tiles were visible and an obvious hazard and a danger to children. Broken sun parasols and chairs had been dumped in the grounds… Poolside shower was disgusting, used plates and glasses were left for days in hotel stairwells, hotel bar was filthy and had ants crawling everywhere . The token few sun beds on the beach were dirty and some broken. NO life guards at poolside, life saving rings left to float around one of the pools… Low flying planes on final approach to Rhodes airport pass a few hundred feet directly over the hotel. These can be every ten minutes or so during busy periods and occasionally at night.. You get use to them and can sometimes recognise the pilots faces…(!). The ‘blurb’ also mentions there are room safes fitted and no mention there would be an extra charge to use one during our stay.. Guess what – we were charged €42 for the privilege of keeping our money and documents safe… We will be taking this up with the holiday company.

Finally - during our last few days it was apparent the hotel maintenance team were preparing to shut the hotel down for the closed season and one guy actually came up to where we were on the poolside and tried to take the sun shade away we were using ! How totally ignorant and unprofessional to start dismantling the poolside furniture when we – and other guests - had a few days of our holiday left…
The icing on the cake was that on our last full day our room was left ‘un-serviced’ . No towels or basic bed tidy etc.. I asked reception twice if someone could come and sort it.. Nothing happened so we found a room service trolley, took some towels and made up the room ourselves – complete with towel ‘sculptures’..

Summary/opinion:
The Ocean Blue (previously known as ‘The Sunflower Hotel’) in it’s day would have been a modern, luxurious hotel with ‘posh’ Jacuzzi baths, split level pool areas, separate a la carte restaurant and a fresh vibrant feel.. Today it is a tired, scruffy and in places potentially hazardous place to spend a holiday and is in no way a 4 Star hotel. I would be interested to know what an unannounced health and safety inspection would reveal (if the Greek authorities have such a mechanism?). We (my partner and myself) are reasonably well travelled and accept that the odd issue crops up occasionally. But our experience at The Ocean Blue has been very disappointing. We accept that we went for a medium price level all inclusive package but do not accept the very poor standards of service and facilities provided. We were not alone and many fellow guests shared our thoughts and feelings. One lady – a hotel manager – tried to discuss her concerns with hotel management and got a very aggressive and abusive response.. No attempt to resolve genuine concerns.. Hence why we did not also attempt this but will be communicating with our holiday company. The Ocean Blue needs a lot of money and TLC to bring it back to anything like a viable and enjoyable hotel experience. Or maybe bulldozing and starting again.. Recommend that you avoid this hotel at all costs… We would rate it at a very kind 2 Star…

Room Tip: Avoid booking this hotel. See the evidence for yourself. Check out the photos..
5  Thank Businesstraveller166
Reviewed 4 October 2016

we arrived about 10pm to the guy on reception to be on the phone, were told to wait while he sorted something out! Given room key/peice of paper and told room was through that door and up the stairs. Thanks! Room was shocking, cracked glass on the 'balcony', no light working on the balcony, wardrobe door hanging off, stains on the curtains, a massive dent in the top of the rail round the balcony, a shower which you had to hold for each other to be able to use (the bracket had snapped!) As for the food..... you wouldn't feed it to the stray cats let alone people! it was cold, you had the choice of pasta/rice/chicken/fish every day. it was disgusting. nothing was ever cleaned, our toilet bin wasn't emptied for 3 days and when you cant flush toilet paper down the toilet it becomes a hazard!! the staff (when you saw them) didn't care, they were too busy messing about and being on their phones when working! Absolute joke of a hotel!