See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 6 June 2016

Unfortunately I had a bad experience in this hotel as I was asked to prepay my stay in an unfriendly manner. The balcony door was stuck, so we couldn't open it and the hair dryer was not only out of order, but had sparks coming out when "on" button was pushed.
When I asked about a friend whom I was supposed to meet, I was told that she had checked out, when in fact she was in her room, which led to a misunderstanding.

Good location.

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 October 2014

I lodged at this hotel for one month from mid-September through mid-October of 2014. The hotel is located one block north of Gribovo Beach, so it allows for very easy access to many cafes and restaurants in the area. It is also within a couple of blocks walking distance from bakeries, pharmacies, mobile phone vendors, etc, so you can get just about anything you need in the local area without having to arrange for transportation. If scenic views are your thing, some rooms have balcony views of the famed Nafpaktos Castle nestled on the hillside above the town.

With regard to the rooms, they are comfortable and functional. I am accustomed to sleeping in cool, air-conditioned rooms, so I specifically requested a room with good A/C and I was not disappointed. The room I had, (#206), has a nice modern A/C unit mounted on the wall just above the balcony doorway. It is controlled with handheld remote control and it functioned flawlessly, providing me with a very cool and dehumidified room, which was wonderful. The room also was equipped with a small color television which I cannot comment on only because I never bothered to use it. There was also a small in-room refrigerator for keeping a small quantity of food and drinks in and I used that quite a bit for storing juices and colas. The room also had two twin beds. The mattresses were reasonably comfortable and I slept soundly on my bed and I'm a pretty heavy guy. The room also had two chairs for sitting - both wooden with padded seating. There were also two wardrobe tables for laying out one large and one small suitcase on. Lastly, there was a wardrobe unit with ample space for hanging coats, shirts, trousers, etc., as well as several drawers for other personal clothing and effects. The floor is made of white ceramic tile throughout, so no rugs or carpet if that is important to you. Personally, I like ceramic tile because that's what I have in my whole house back home, so it suited me just fine. Sound-wise, the room was pretty doggone quiet. Only once could I hear people from an adjoining room who were being a bit loud. You can also hear folks in the hallway because their voices echo on the tile, but it was rare and not a problem. Outdoor noise from passing traffic, etc. was only heard if the sliding glass door to the balcony was opened, otherwise that door sealed out 99.9% of the street noise, which was wonderful.

The bathroom was small, but modern. The commode functioned flawlessly. The shower area is a tad on the small side and felt a bit cramped with the curtain drawn, but was functional with plenty of hot water and good water pressure. The sink and vanity area are modern and nice and a brand new hair dryer resides on the wall and worked great.

Maid service was provided daily with beds made and fresh towels, soaps, toilet paper, and linens provided on a regular basis. This is a family owned hotel and the front desk staff was very warm, personable, and friendly and willing to assist with any request. The hotel also has a restaurant, but I am unable to comment on it since I never took the time to dine there.

A few minor negatives: There are 2 unused electrical sockets in the room - one near the door, which is not very convenient for use, and the other near one of the beds, which was worn and dangling loosely from the wall. Naturally, it was the one that was dangling that was the most convenient to use for re-charging your electronics so this is the one that I used. It obviously needs to some attention from the maintenance staff to re-secure it properly to the wall. Also, the one of the lights above the mirror in the room did not work, but I'm sure that if I'd bothered to ask for a new bulb, one would have been supplied. I just never bothered, as it was not that big of a deal since I had 4 other lights in the room that functioned just fine. That brings up another small negative: There is no ceiling light in either the main bedroom or the bathroom, making the rooms feel dim and dark, even when all of the wall-mounted lights are turned on. During the day I would address this by opening the balcony door to let natural sunlight in, which promptly remedied the problem. I would recommend to the hotel management to consider installing a bright ceiling mounted light in each room, as this would help immensely.

The bottom-line, though, is that the Hotel Aphrodite is a fantastic value. It's prices are very reasonable, it's location is convenient, it's rooms are comfortable and clean, it's facilities are functional and fairly well maintained, and it's staff are friendly and helpful. While not a brand-new hotel nor a 4-star facility, it is in very good condition, and the owners obviously care about the cleanliness and condition of the place and they seem anxious to please their customers. Yes, some wear and tear is evident here and there, (as is the case with most hotels in Greece, given the economic problems the country is experiencing), but it is not excessive in my view, and I think you definitely get excellent value for the money being spent.

If you are more accustomed to ultra-modern, luxury hotels with new buildings, aesthetically pleasing room designs, ultra-chic furniture, plush mattresses, room service, mints on your pillow, etc., then this hotel may not meet the higher standards of luxury you are looking for, but if you are a budget conscious traveler who simply wants a clean, safe, comfortable place to sleep, bathe, dress, and relax, without having to resort to hostels and other questionable lodgings, then the Hotel Aphrodite will absolutely meet your needs and at a price that will not drain your wallet like the 5-star palaces do. If you are an American Traveler, I'd say that this is like staying at a place that is between a Motel 6 and a Best Western. Decent and comfortable and affordable. In conclusion, I would not hesitate to stay at this hotel again and would have no qualms with recommending it to family and friends.

Room Tip: Some rooms have views of the castle from the balcony, so ask for that if you like sitting on the balcony and looking at something interesting. Also, not all rooms have newer A/C units, so ask for one with the new A/C if this is important to you.
  • Stayed: October 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Nice and clean hotel near the old port of the town. Decent breakfast and friendly staff, prices are reasonable for what you get. We recommend it for business or pleasure. Many restaurants and cafes are nearby, the beach is just 50 meters away. We liked the nice paintings at the lobby.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 August 2012

Simple and clean. There was no table on the balcony, hotel has no view of the seaside, there is no place to hang your wet clothes and among all other we also had a low pressure shower. We paid 40 euros per night, so it was just ok i guess.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank bushidocougar
Reviewed 27 January 2011

I was there with my mother last summer. We had to pay about 60 euros per night without breakfast - it costed I think extra 10 euros. The room was nothing special, it seemed simply okay and simply clean. They definetely need a renovation of furnishing. The hotel stuff was simply nice, nothing too flashy so I could say I was excited.
Among the negatives was the parking. The hotel owned no spots, so you really had to look all around the neighbourhood.
Bis plus was however that it was only 2' walking to the beach of Nafpaktos. The sea isn't actually as if you are in Mallorca, but it is nice for calm family vacation. Among the beach there are several taverns and shop. Big plus as well for a nice walk at night...

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family