See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 15 July 2014

I honeymooned at Coral Lodge with my husband last year and don't have any complaints. At the time I was 10 weeks pregnant and really worried about food, water and options. We had booked our honeymoon prior to getting pregnant and I was really nervous once I was pregnant being in a foreign country and being isolated. I can't say enough good things about the staff, I was very picky and particular on how my food was prepared and cooked and they did an outstanding job on making sure the food was prepared to the US guidelines for pregnancy. Every meal was prepared wonderfully and very yummy. We had to book off a few options and they substituted it no questions asked for the San Blais islands boat day. They let us use the nice bigger boat and even had the waitress accompany us for meals. I look forward to the future development plans of the area and seeing them grow.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank HellaAceD
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I stayed at Coral Lodge last week and my wife and I enjoyed it very much. It was a perfect getaway to disconnect from all our daily stress.
Everyone at the hotel was extremely kind and helpful. The food was delicious and service was perfection.
The bungalow was fully equipped, great view, comfortable mattress and clean. I recommend this property to all of those who need to disconnect, enjoy nature, food and like to be pampered.
Hope to visit them soon. Thank you for everything.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Megustaviajar8000
Reviewed 27 February 2014

picture yourself in themiddle of nowhere, on Panama s caribbean coast, 45minutes away by  boat from any kind of civilization, and there you are in Coral Lodge. Luxury here has a different taste from what we are used to. It rather becomes synonym of unicity than modern comfort. Luxury is here is feeling the privilege of sleeping in one of the six overwater bungalows aware that around you there is just jungle and sea for miles. Sleeping in the bungalows with open curtains is like floating on the sea. Forget about dozens of activities to keep you busy with. Yes you have kayak, quads and two boats for excursions, but the only way to appreciate the magic of this place is to let yourself go to the simplicity of silence, relax and nature. The tour to San Blas islands gives a bit of touristic glance over the vacation. Worth it, doubtless. A special mention to the staff. Malena, the manager, despite her young age is tremendously professional and smart, always ready to meet your expectations up with a reassuring kindness. Richard and Gabriela pamper you from the very first moment. And everyone else is working hard to make you feel more than at home and always in good hands. An excellent cook will surprise you with fantasy and taste. Of course small improvements can be made on the side of facilities,  just small things to help exploiting this experience the most. But they re on the right way, believe me. A suggestion to the owner. Do not build many other bungalows, being so few is the recipee for making the guest experience this sense of unicity.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
12  Thank chiarella c
Reviewed 19 February 2014

After a three hour bus ride from Panama City followed by a very rough 40 minute power boat journey we arrived at the Coral Lodge. First impressions were very good and we were welcomed by Dina and given a cold coconut drink. We were served lunch outside which was a very nice salad followed by fried fish and vegetables.
Our over water bungalow was sparsely but adequately furnished. It was in need of a major makeover. The fridge was edged with rust, the advertised whirlpool bath did not have any hot water to it, there was no hair dryer or hot water to the sink which made for an uncomfortable shave, the patio door did not lock and the outside deck was in a shabby state.
We were advised to use bottled water to clean our teeth and were charged $2.50 plus tax per bottle.
We did the trip to the San Blas which was very worthwhile. The price of the trip was posted as $250 for two persons and discounts if more people went, we went with six other guests and were still charged the full rate PLUS $25 tour service charge plus tax, why this was imposed I don't know as we had already tipped the boat crew. Lunch consisted of one soggy cling filmed tuna sandwich and a vegetable wrap, hardly a tasty picnic lunch when we had already paid for lunch at the hotel which we didn't have. We were offered cold water from a container in communal plastic cups and charged extra for sodas and other drinks. We were very impressed with the San Blas Islands but not with the lunch or the additional unexpected charges.
When I arrived at Coral Lodge I informed Dina that I was almost a vegetarian but will eat chicken and fillet fish. She said that the menu was largely seafood and I informed her that I could not eat anything that was still in a shell or looked whole. Next day for dinner they brought a plate of clams cooked in garlic (there is no menu or choice they just bring you what they have cooked). I didn't eat them and said nothing as I didn't want to ruin the meal for others. For the main course they brought out paella with shells and legs and other bits. I told the waiter that I couldn't eat it. The manager and kitchen staff came over and asked why I could not eat it. I was very humiliated in front of the other guests and felt very small. I settled on a plate of salad. I realise that its my problem that I don't eat seafood but I did tell them in advance.
When we came to check out, the bill included alcoholic drinks that we had not had and there was an extra charge if you had orange juice at breakfast which I feel should have been included, all of meals were pre-paid but we were still charged for service. We did enjoy our stay at the Coral Lodge but felt that they were trying to extract every cent from you that they could.
On a positive note, the grounds and beach were very nice and you could walk into the jungle and on to another couple of deserted beaches. The hotel boat is something else, 900 horse power and felt very safe in the rough seas. The waiting Staff were very good and polite and nothing was done in a rush.

Room Tip: All rooms are the same with an outside deck with seating and steps into the sea
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
10  Thank andyandtrudie
Reviewed 18 February 2014

After a three hour drive from Panama City and about a 2 and half hour rough boat ride, it was a relief to arrive at this beautiful resort which is breathtaking. Under new management, the owners have big ideas for the resort, such a building a road to the resort and creating a travel destination town in addition to improving the bungalows sitting over the water. The new chef is a very good cook, but meals are served Panamanian time (the service is slow). But one comes to relax so enjoy the scenery as there is not much to do. The staff tries very hard to please. Our visit to see the Kuna Indians was disappointing as we were taken to a very small town on another rough boat ride. There was not much to see and the molas (traditional handicraft of the Indians) were inferior. The included lunch on another very small island was plentiful and very good. One could swim or play volley ball there. The bathrooms facilities were dreadful on this island and basically non-existent. Everyone in our group was happy to have visited Coral Lodge. If the new management is able to build a road into the resort, it would make the trip more enjoyable. Do go, if you want to chill out! And do bring a flashlight to walk back and forth from your cabin to the restaurant.

Room Tip: There are only a couple of bungalows, so make your reservations in advance.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends