After looking at all the hotels in the Batu Ferringhi area, we chose the Holiday Inn Penang firstly because of its location and secondly because my husband is IHG member.
Following a 17 hour journey, our arrival at the Tower side was lovely. A polite lady at reception welcomed us and checked us in efficiently. She also acknowledged my husband's gold membership status (which neither of us realised he had). A bonus at this time also was that they would offer us a complimentary breakfast during our stay.
Even though we had booked a standard room, we were kindly upgraded to a superior room with a beach view on one of the higher floors. It was a spacious room and we were gifted with a fruit platter and sparkling bottle of non alcoholic wine which was a lovely touch.
After having an afternoon nap after a 17 hour flight from the UK my husband noticed the toilet in the bathroom wasn't flushing properly and the hand bidet was faulty too. Upon reporting the problem guest services tried their best to fix the issue but in the end decided to give us the option of moving to a similar room or a top floor suite. This was a pleasant surprise as we had only booked a room only stay in a standard room.
The breakfast at the hotel was excellent. I have been fortunate to stay at some of the best hotels in the world and some of these could learn a something from the slick running of the breakfast rush. There was excellent organisation of table allocation during the busy periods by staff with CB radios and all tables had occupied and vacant signs. Egg and Omelette orders done very slickly via a very basic but effective system. A wide choice of International and local cuisine - and an added bonus to have Tarek Teh and Roti Canai available every morning. The staff were extremely attentive staff and excellent hygiene levels.
The location of this property is excellent with easy access to the night market and food hawkers. The beach is clean however we were advised against swimming in the sea due to the jellyfish. It is a lovely walk down the beach to the Hard Rock Hotel.
We booked our trip to Palau Payar via the activities desk in the main lobby and had a wonderful day of snorkelling on the Thursday, I would say that this trip is a must if you love the sea!
You can get taxis quite easily using Uber or Grab. We managed to get a local sightseeing tour organised via the local money changer. On our last day, our driver Mahendra took us to the airport via an alternative route and we got to see the Island and various fruit farms.
All in all a very friendly place reflected by the hotel staff. Only downside which has prevented 5 stars was the awful night long racket from the night of the 30th December all the way through to the 1st January from one of the apartments opposite on the mountain side of the Tower. The noise seemed to project itself to the 23rd floor of our hotel
We didn't use the pool, so cannot comment on that however I did have a Malay massage in the cabanas on my last day and ended my holiday in a complete relaxed state. The staff at the spa were very courteous and Rani who did my massage was excellent. I paid full price as it was New Year's Day however the spa do offer a weekday discount which I would recommend one should take advantage of!
This is a lovely find of a hotel - I would recommend it to anyone that comes to Penang with the intention to sightsee and we would definitely stay here again but maybe outside of holiday season.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Holiday Inn Resort Penang, together with its excellent location in the heart of famous Batu Ferringhi makes it easily accessible to the Night Market, shops and restaurants. The resort is situated right on the beach, split into two buildings- the Beach Wing, located at the beachside, or Ferringhi Tower, located directly across the road to the beach. The Ferringhi Tower commands spectacular views of both the hills and sea front and is linked by an overhead covered walkway. 358 spacious rooms with a great combination of Family Studios and Kidsuites, the resort is perfect for families and couples looking for a retreat. To also make your every moment of your stay an absolute delight, we make every dining experience special in its own way. As the only hotel offering speciality Northern Indian cuisine, it will be feast that will leave you with 'spicy' memories. At the Holiday Inn Resort Penang, you will discover an exotic way to truly enjoy your vacation and cherish every minute of it. Right from the warmth of the people, the quaint sights & sounds of the island's rich cultural heritage and the rejuvenating hospitality of Holiday Inn Resort Penang. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Agoda, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Holiday Inn Resort Penang reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Resort Penang Hotel Batu Ferringhi
- Holiday Inn Penang
- Holiday Inn Georgetown
- Georgetown Holiday Inn
- Holiday Inn Resort Penang Batu Ferringhi