2,514 results
All reviews beach wing ferringhi tower tower block night market ihg member sea view overhead bridge main building swimming pool wings indian food table tennis busy road kids suite kids club george town water sports
Reviewed 4 January 2018 via mobile

I must say that on arrival at the Tower side we were greeted with a smile and an acknowledgement of my IHG gold membership that I had forgotten I had. Wasn't expecting to get breakfast included but the kind lady on Reception asked if we wanted to add this at no further cost.

We were initially placed into a Superior Room with a beach view but as we were settling into having an afternoon nap after a 12 hour flight from the UK I noticed the toilet in the bathroom wasn't flushing properly and the hand bidet was faulty too. Upon reporting the problem guest services tried their best to fix the issue but in the end decided to give us the option of moving to a similar room or a top floor suite. For us it was a no brainer! What started as a booking for a Superior Room with no breakfast ended with a Suite with full breakfast on the first night.

Now for breakfast - the best I've experienced since staying at one of the 5 stars at Jumeriah Beach, Dubai. Excellent organisation of table allocation during the busy periods by staff with CB radios. Tables with occupied and vacant signs. Egg and Omelette orders done very slickly via a very basic but effective system. A wide choice of International and local cuisine. Attentive staff and excellent hygiene levels.

As a location great access to the night market and food hawkers. The beach is clean but a bit disappointed that the water was jellyfish infected. New Year at the beachfront was awesome. Great band and music along with fireworks.

You can get taxis quite easily using Uber or Grab. We managed to get a local sightseeing tour organised via the local money changer. We even got a great local driver to show take us around the Island to see the various fruit farms.

All in all a very friendly place reflected by the hotel staff. Only downside which has prevented 5 stars was the awful night long racket from one of the apartments opposite on the mountain side of the Tower. The noise seemed to project itself to the 23rd floor of our hotel. Also not keen on Xmas Muzak being played beyond the 26th December!

Would definitely stay here again but maybe outside of holiday season.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
Cameron S, Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Penang, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2018

Dear Sham M,

Greetings from Holiday Inn Resort Penang!

Thank you for your positive review of your recent stay with us here over the festive season and recognizing the efforts that our team members make to ensure our guests enjoy their stay with us.

We were very busy during the festive season especially at breakfast time and it is much appreciated when the staff efficiency and attentiveness is highlighted.

Thank you also for mentioning our great location and ease of getting around the island by various transport options one of which is also the rapid transport bus which has a stop right outside the hotel.

We hope to welcome you back again in the future.

Reviewed 3 January 2018

If you can get a room for a good rate below those of the nearby Parkroyal/Golden Sands, this is a solid hotel for a beach holiday in Batu Ferringi. We were most impressed by the staff - each of them smilied and greeted us whenever they saw us, and seemed genuinely happy to help. We had a mountain view room in the Ferringi tower (on the non-beach side of the road) which was big with a good balcony, comfy beds, good aircon and wifi, strong shower with a separate bathtub, and light bright decor.

The hotel has two buildings - the main building on the beach side of the main road, which includes the pool and restaurant and direct beach access, and the Ferrengi Tower on the opposite side of the main road (accessible by a dedicated overhead bridge) which is higher so the views can be better, and has the gym and a chill-out area with TVs, pool and table tennis tables and a kids' area.

To me though, a resort hotel must have a good pool (especially when the beach it's on has jellyfish), and that's lacking at the Holiday Inn. There's a small rectancular pool on the beach side, but it's too small for anything other than a quick dip to cool off. We also wasn't that impressed by the quality of the food, particularly at breakfast where if you want a relatively peaceful start to the day, you have to arrive at 7am otherwise the restaurant is full to overflowing.

All in all there is nothing bad about this hotel but nothing awesome either, and provided you get it for a good price I'd recommend it.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
Cameron S, Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Penang, responded to this reviewResponded 4 January 2018

Dear Up1ntheair,

Delighted to read your positive comments on our great team members who are the ones that make the difference and turn an average stay into a more memorable experience.

Certainly we do offer great value for money with our "Kids Stay & Eat Free" programe and are one the most competitively priced hotels amongst the international hotels in Batu Ferringhi.

Thank you for choosing Holiday Inn Resort Penang and hope to welcome you back again.

Reviewed 2 January 2018

I have always been to Holiday Inn Penang since 1998. I have always enjoyed my stay there. This was my first time back in 5 years and stayed in the tower room

Sad to say the standard of service has dropped. The facilities were poor compared to other hotels along there despite an 'upgrade' done recently, the toilet in the room did look dated. The quality of food was bad and it would be wiser to eat out. It takes forever if you ask for items from housekeeping.

I had paid for everything via cash at the check in and was told there was no more payment needed at check out. I even got a receipt for my payment. Yet at check out, I was asked for an additional RM150 approximately. While I would not mind paying if there was a shortfall, to be asked to pay extra after being told all is settled left a bitter taste.

Given how bad the state of things are and the amount I paid, I'd recommend you consider staying next door at ParkRoyal or Golden Sands.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Saleh B
Cameron S, Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Penang, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2018

Dear Saleh B,

Disappointed to read your comments on your recent stay with us here and it is a pity that you did not highlight this during your stay so that the issues mentioned could have been addressed promptly.

We are in the process of a long term renovation with the porte cochere, Beach Wing rooms and swimming pool scheduled for later in the year.

I cannot comment on the additional charges, however, their is the Tourism Tax which is only collected at the end of the guests stay and which our team member should have further advised and will be addressed accordingly with the front office team.

Reviewed 1 January 2018

Although the staff was friendly and the location was great, this hotel is looking very tired and in need of a renovation. It is a bit awkward to cross over the main road to get from the tower to the main building and pool and beach.

Room Tip: High floor in tower, main building can be noisy
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple

Dear Winstonthedog,

Good to read again that you found both our staff to be friendly and recognized our great location.

The hotel is in the process of a long term renovation with our new reception lobby just opening a few weeks ago. The porte cochere, Beach Wing rooms and swimming pool are scheduled to be done later in the year.

Thank you for choosing Holiday Inn Resort Penang.

Reviewed 31 December 2017 via mobile

I arrived to the hotel very late at night with my wife we where very tired and all we wanted to do was get some rest. It took us around 30 mins to check in. We then entered the room and got ready to go to bed and then pulled the covers back and we then saw a big poo stain. Very frustrating as I was very tired and all I wanted to do was sleep!!!!!
Very dirty hotel. This also proves that the hotel does not clean the bed sheets!!!

Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank John B
Cameron S, Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Penang, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2018

Dear John B,

It is disappointing to read your feedback and that you did not highlight this during your stay with us so that appropriate follow up and corrective action could have been taken.

We do take all feedback very seriously and thank you for sharing this with us now.