All reviews ocean floor own meals satellite tv minute drive fundy bay deck
Reviewed 29 June 2015

We were booked into one of these cottages...when I made the reservations I thought the price was a bit steep at $139 pernight but because it was right on the ocean and had a full kitchen I rationalized that we might save money by being able to prepare some of our own food etc. When we arrived I was shocked to find that she had already put through a charge for 3 nights on my credit card even though we had only reserved for two. She seemed muddled and confessed she did not know how to do a refund. She also mentioned that they had had a big storm and tghe power was out...so no electricity in our cottage. This was at 4:30 pm but the power company was coming back at 6:00. No offer of apology for the inconvenience, so obviously we had to find a place to eat. Checking Into our cottage we found it to be extremely dirty, with cobwebs and spiders in every corner - looked like it had not had a good cleaning in years. Fridge had mold in it. Bathroom arrangement was bizarre and creepy. If we had been paying $50-60 a night I would have thought differently but at $139 we expected better than that. We came back at 6:00 -still no power. Finally at about 7:00 pm the power company showed up and we had to sit out while they went back and forth until about 9:00 trying to restore power to our cottage. By the time they were done the place was full of mosquitos as the screen door was broken. Not once did she come and apologize for the inconvenince or offer to reduce the price we were paying. She was in her own house next door and I went over to tell her we would not be staying the second night and that I wanted a refund. Since German was her first language, communication was a bit of an issue. In the morning she was no where to be found so I left her a note asking her to call me when she had processed the refund and I would get the receipt (even though it ws a bit of a drive back...I wanted proof that she had given me a refund) Never did she call me. Numerous calls to her and the phone was being answeed by a gentleman who spoke virtually no English. It was a nightmare. Finally went back when we were leaving the area and fortunately the daughter was there who was quite defensive, but had the refund completed. No apology or anything. Tried to say that the fact that there was no power was not a big deal as the TV was working...I mean really! This is a serious money grab by the owners who have spent as little as possible on these places - dirty, paint peeling, lightbulbs hanging from ceiling with ancient wiring. I am surprised they are able to be licensed by any tourism bureau (if they are) Do yourself a favour...go elswhere. This place is a dump and ridiculously over-priced.

• Stayed: June 2015, travelled with friends
2  Thank Beattie1954
Reviewed 10 September 2014

Harbourville is a mostly undiscovered gem on the Bay of Fundy coast. There are no tour buses and no gift shop - just a perfect little harbour with colourful, weathered cottages and one very good restaurant, especially if you've had one too many seafood dinners! We've eaten in the Schnitzelhaus a couple of times but this time we couldn't resist the great off-season price for a cottage rental and stayed two nights in the Atlantis, right on the beach. The views from the patio doors and upstairs bedroom take your breath away. And it was so quiet, lovely stay. Kitchen was very well equipped, even had large pots for corn or lobster boils, and a local source for lobster. We also appreciated the HD tv service and wifi. The cottage was very clean and comfortable although obviously well-loved by the family for some years. Only possible complaint is that we found the beds a bit too firm. We plan to return for a week next year.

• Stayed: September 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 September 2014

A few weeks ago, we enjoyed a delicious authentic German dinner, followed by a sunset walk on a beach of smooth pebbles and stones. The cottage was close to the shore, cozy, clean and quirky. The next morning, we enjoyed the beach in sunlight with a very different shoreline thanks to changes of the world's highest tides. It was out second annual trip.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 September 2014

I reviewed this place a few times in the past, mainly because I felt Harbourville Cottages were given some unfair reviews. When people complain about the cleanliness they really need to consider where they are. If you seek a place with rooms that have perfect paint and no debris or bugs the wind may have blown in, you should not consider this pllace.

If you are someone who enjoys being outside, exploring amazing scenery and being by the water, Harbourville is for you! Where else will you find a place that allows you to walk on the ocean floor while the tide is out just beyond your cottage?

I agree the cottages are old but that's one of the main reasons I like this place. it has a lot of history and tons of charm, and is one of the few remaining active harbours around.

The food is great!! If you do not enjoy authentic European meals, there are plenty of other options to choose from.

The owners are always making you feel welcome and go out of their way to ensure you enjoy your stay.

Looking forward to going back :-).

Room Tip: There are occasionally people at the beach making bonfires so this could get a bit noisy in the evening but this has only happened on one of my many stays.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TimAndBo
Reviewed 2 September 2014

Drove into Harbourville expecting seafood, and were delighted to find this little Schnitzelhaus, a surprisingly good meal complete with WeissBier and a robust Strudel, while enjoying the very pleasant company of our hostess Maria and her daughter Elke.

When we went in to lunch the harbor was mud, when we came out the boats were floating near the high tide line--extraordinary!

Be surprised; pass on the oysters and scallops for once and have a wonderful Bavarian meal.

Room Tip: Can't recommend--only visited the restaurant.
Stayed: September 2014, travelled as a couple