All reviews ocean floor own meals satellite tv minute drive fundy bay deck fireplace
Reviewed 30 June 2014

One minute you are driving past farmland and dilapidated country homes then a couple of turns and twist and you are in a seaside dream! Unexpectedly there is an authentic Schnitzelhaus with a wonderful hostess and delicious food. Then there are cottages to rent! I have returned several times. Always a pleasure and always accommodating. I highly recommend a trip to Harbourville!

2  Thank Keagan C
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We recently rented the Atlantis cottage, it was very cozy and clean. The cottage is right on the beach. It had the feeling of home, yet the sea air and scenery was on our door step. Listening to the waves and watching the boats come and go, it was really quite something. The owners were so pleasant, and the restaurant was fantastic. So much culture to enjoy. The food was delicious. Our walks on the beach are memories we will cherish forever. If you are looking to relax, this is a great place to visit. We plan on staying longer next time!

Room Tip: Choose the cottages on the beach. Sounds fantastic.
2  Thank CSurette
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We love this place! We have stayed here on numerous occasions and Elke is such a generous host. The cottages are roomy and comfortable and the restaurants boasts some of the best German dishes we have ever had! We highly recommend it to all of our friends and family.

Room Tip: The blue cottage is our favourite! You could not be closer to the water.
1  Thank zuzumonro1
Reviewed 28 June 2014

I stayed here last month on a trip to Nova Scotia with my mother. We had only four days [of a seventeen day trip] in the Bay of Fundy area. I chose this rental because it looked so charming, and because it was right on the shore where I hoped that we could truley soak up the essence of the tidal activities that the Bay of Fundy is so famous for. It was all that we had hoped for… and more!!!!!
We rented the cottage called Oceanus, and in truth I don't think one could get any closer to the bay than the location this cottage offers! It sits right on the edge of the bay, and within 30 feet of the Harbourville harbor, so anytime you look out a window or step out of the cottage you are surrounded in the main feature that the bay offers…tidal activity!!!! Have you seen the photos of fishing boats at low tide sitting on the bottom of the harbor floor? Well, that is RIGHT outside the door!!!
The cottage itself is adorable, and perfect in its quirky, frayed edge, non-perfect way! This little gem is old, and shows it some!!! Embrace it! If you are looking for something that is pristine in all of its amenities, and doesn't show a little wear and tear, then this is not your place. For my mother and I though, this rare find was absolutely ideal. Is the kitchen perfectly stocked? Not really, but we certainly made some delicious meals!!! Are the beds perfectly comfortable? Not really, but I certainly slept great in my cozy room with the gentle, hypnotic bay lapping pretty much at out of my bedroom window!!! Was the shower spacious with shiny modern fixtures? Uhhhhhh, no! LOL. But the hot sea water [yes, the shower is salt water] was plentiful and stayed nice and hot!!! In short, this little cottage and it's quirks won us over hook, line, and sinker.
Although we could have been happy never leaving the house, laying around on the lovely deck all day reading, and looking at the tidal action, we really wanted to see what the area had to offer. The Harbourville cove was a great median starting point for touring around the Annapolis Valley, Bay of Fundy, and Annopolis Royal areas. We did several great day hikes, meandered around the beautiful country roads, and had some lovely meals out and about. All of this was within an easy radius of the cottage, as were grocery stores to buy supplies [the closest store is about a 15 minute drive].
And then there is Elke [the owner] and her lovely mother and daughter! From my initial email to her she was very friendly and enthusiastic in answering my questions, as well as thorough in booking our stay. My mother and I arrived pretty late at night, and the house was unlocked for us, and the heater had been turned on, so that the house was warm and cosy! As well as running their restaurant in Harbourville, Elke and her mother sell German food at the local farmers market, so when we woke up in the morning from our first night's sleep at the cottage, we drove to the market to meet them, to see the little town where it was held, and to exchange some American dollars for Canadian at a local bank. Well…. after a warm first meeting with Elke and her family, Elke's mother [completely unsolicited] offered to give us some Canadian dollars so we could purchase things at the farmers market, and told us that at some point after we exchanged money at the local bank, we could pay her back before we left their rental! This seriously doesn't happen much upon meeting strangers where I live in Los Angeles. I don't relate this to encourage borrowing money from Elke's mother of course [LOL], but to relate what kind of people they are! I was as touched by their trust, generosity and warmth, as I was taken by their delicious homemade apple strudel! Later in our stay Elke also was kind enough to cook a couple enormous lobsters that she had told us where to purchase. These are good people!
All of this adds up to rare and wonderful find for me. I have traveled around the world, and in my travels I always search for authentic experiences, and for me this place certainly did not disappoint! Of course any place is about your expectations of it. If you want a shiny, polished, house/hotel room then don't stay here, but I can tell you that our stay here was truly delightful, and embodied what the area had to offer!
I would rent this same cottage again in an instant, and if you can relate to anything that I am trying to convey, then I would encourage you too also!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Craig G
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Mold, ants, spiders, cobwebs, MICE POOP. Got your attention yet? Please read everything. When I called, a man answered the phone but didn't really speak English (he did not speak French either) so he gave the phone to Maria. Her English wasn't very good but at least I could understand her (I should have hung up right there). She said she had 2 cottages left and said: "They're both $99 per night". I said great book me up for Saturday and Sunday. I didn't want to pay more than $100-$120 a night so this was perfect. When we got there, they could not find the key to our cottage so they gave us a master key so we could open the door, but wanted it back right away. We got in and at first look it looked nice. There was a zoo nearby so we wanted to go there but before leaving I thought I'd check my credit card to see how much they charged. $411. I'm not good in math but 99+99 is not equal to 411. I went to the restaurant (main "building") and asked why I was charged that much. The girl said it was her first day on the job (she was there by herself) and that she didn't know, but Maria would be there in a couple of hours. So we went to the zoo and when we came back it was around 6PM. There was a cat and a god walking around in the restaurant and into the kitchen, the cat jump on the tables where customers were eating and it looked like they thought it was normal. Maria was there so I asked her for the key and why they charged me $411. She told me it was impossible she said $99 a night and didn't want to change the price. I decided to sleep there the first night but asked to get a refund for the second night because it wasn't the price I was told. She said that was fine but didn't want to do the refund until the next day. We went back to our cottage and that's when we realized the mold and the ants and all of that disgusting crap. We looked into the rules book and it said checkout time was at 10:00AM. We had to remove the sheets from the beds and everything we used and had to put it in a bag. I didn't even take a shower because it was too dirty. At checkout time, the door to the restaurant was locked. It was closed until noon! We waited a while but then decided to call because I wanted to see Maria make the refund to my credit card. THE OLD MAN ANSWERED. The only thing we could understand was: "Boom boom on door. Boom boom on door. Someone in". So we did what he said and "boom boom on door". No one answered. We went around the restaurant and saw the girl (on her "second" day) chopping vegetables. We knocked on the window and she did not turn around. after a while, she came out and said Maria had a family emergency. I had her call Maria but she could not reach her. I gave her my info so she could call me. At 3:30, I called her back because she never called me. She said she would do it that day. 1 week later, still no refund on my CC. I called. THE OLD MAN ANSWERED. I explained slowly the situation. He said he would call back. He actually called me back 30 minutes later and said: "We make today the refund". 3 days later, no refund. I called and they said they did it the last time I called. 2 days later, I got my refund.

In other words, this place is a nightmare, it's dirty, overpriced and not sanitary. I do not recommend this place to anyone, especially not if you have young children. I cannot understand how this place got such a high rating.

Room Tip: do not choose any room. go elsewhere
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends