US$99
Hotels.com
Savings alert! 28% below average rates

The price you found is 28% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$137/night.

US$190
Yr Hen Fecws B&B(Porthmadog)
Free cancellation until 26/07
US$118
Tudor Lodge(Porthmadog)
TripAdvisor
Pitchup.com
Queens Hotel(Porthmadog)
Llwyn Derw(Porthmadog)
TripAdvisor
All reviewstraditional hotelno liftcourtyard roomcovered car parknorth walesexcellent foodunder coverlocal producelambcomfortable hotelpieboth nightsfamily roomlounge areahigh streetthe welsh highland railwaycooked breakfast
Reviewed 29 November 2017

Very good value for money with naturally friendly staff. The breakfast was excellent and cooked to order, I had a delicious scrambled egg and smoked salmon Muffin and Chris had Eggs Benedict with both having a full English on the second day. Had dinner also last night and it was delicious. The beer was good but we also discovered Purple Moose Brewery just down the road at The Australian which is wonderful and our food destination tonight after a cold but enjoyable day at the Llechwedd Deep Mine and The Off-Road Quarry Explorer. All in all a fantastic short break helped by Good Beer, Good Food, and Lovely People.

Room Tip: That long since I slept in a single bed. And it showed. My fault, not the hotels
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled with friends
2  Thank petetownsend22
Aby Q, Owner at Royal Sportsman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 November 2017

Many thanks for your lovely review. We are glad you appreciated the value for money, friendly staff and excellent, cooked-to-order breakfast and dinner. We remember that cold November night when you joined in with our weekly Pub Quiz in our cozy Gelerts Bar where we also serve the local Porthmadog ale, Purple Moose. We hope you are able to come and stay with us again, and enjoy some more of the many attractions Snowdonia has to offer.

Reviewed 20 November 2017 via mobile

From check in to check out via a trip to the bar and an excellent breakfast, the Royal Sportsman is a great place to stay in Porthmadog.
Very central, warm, clean and very welcoming. An ideal choice for a stop over.
We didn’t have dinner here, but the menu looked very good.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
Aby Q, Owner at Royal Sportsman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2017

Thank you very much for your 5-star review David. We're glad you enjoyed your stop over with us and we look forward to welcoming you back soon. Perhaps next time, you could also sample our delicious menu which is served in the restaurant or bar.

Reviewed 20 November 2017

I thought that for the price we paid this hotel was the most disappointing in that it's tired, needs a good lick of paint and the room wasn't really worth the money compared with other hotels we visited on our trip to North Wales. There is a smalll parking area so if you get there in good time you can park but I think there's other parking nearby so not too much of an issue.

The reception staff were very pleasant and we checked in quickly. We had been allocated a room off the courtyard out the back of the hotel (I didn't know there was such an area, there are about 10 rooms like this here. The room was fine but a bit small and FREEZING COLD. The heating wasn't on, so I rang reception and to be fair they were very helpful in bringing a portable fan heater to help us dry out after a day on the steam railway. When I asked why the radiators weren't old I was informed they do not come on until 5, which is understandable in the summer but not at the end of October. I have never encountered this before, the heating should be on by the time you arrive at least.

Usual facilities provided which was fine, however, for some reason the kettle was UNDER the dressing table top on a shelf which made it awkward to use and potentially dangerous. Not sure why it was put there, think that needs to be moved.

The hotel has a bar which is ok, large enough with a TV which was on quite loud with rolling news which I personally don't think is needed. We ate in the restaurant that night as there was not much choice locally. I must say, as in keeping with other reviews, our food was excellent and very tasty so we were glad we did eat there.

Bed was clean and comfortable. Shower wasn't very powerful and the temperature was difficult to control but just about managed it eventually. Breakfast was excellent. Very good choice and lovely and fresh. I had eggs Benedict which was absolutely superb. Staff were very helpful and pleasant.

I am not sure if I would stay here again, perhaps if the hotel were updated a bit and if, not, the price was £20 cheaper per night, due to the food quality I might reconsider.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your comments. We are delighted that you found our staff helpful and pleasant and that both your dinner and breakfast were excellent.

Our courtyard rooms were refurbished in January 2017 with bespoke furniture in every room. We had the tray underneath the dressing table specifically designed to save space when the tea/coffee making facilities are not being used. When the shelf is pulled out, it is perfectly safe.

Our heating now comes on at 3pm (the time guests can check into their rooms) but we will always supply extra heating - or cooling in the summer - if the temperature is not quite right.

We do hope you will consider staying with us in the future, perhaps on a Dine and Stay package. This would give you the opportunity to enjoy more from our fabulous food whilst reducing the cost of your room. And if you book direct with reception, we can ensure that you have a room in the main building.

Reviewed 13 November 2017

My wife's brother-in-law booked us into this hotel and from the name, we thought it could be good.

Admittedly we arrived on the day of the biggest storm (Brian) to hit the area for quite a while but I haven't been that cold in a hotel room since we went to a wedding in a castle just outside Dublin in 2010 and we sat in the hire-car to warm up, but that's another story.

The heating wasn't working, or was off, and someone had removed the fuse from the electric radiator in the room. My wife went down to ask for something to be done about the heating. The woman on reception fixed my wife with a glassy stare and asked "what room are you in?" My wife replied "we're in room 12" and wordlessly the receptionist went into a back room and came out with a tiny electric fan heater, handed it to my wife with not a word of apology and sat down again.

The hotel is like a trip back to the 1970s - or the Isle-of-Wight - actually no I like the Isle-of-wight so just the 1970s. Not a scrap of investment is in evidence - skirting boards with clipped off wires simply painted over - odd signs everywhere that look like they came from the victorian era - maybe that's the look they are going for, but does the heating have to be in the 1870's too?

The first question in the list this section on TA below is 'Is this a quaint hotel?' which the dictionary describes as meaning 'Charmingly odd, especially in an old-fashioned way: Unfamiliar or unusual in character; strange' which summed it up quite well.

The only thing our overnight stay had going for it (and I am so glad we didn't have to stay any longer) was the breakfast, which was included in our booking, was excellent a full Welsh, well cooked and most welcome but in my view, a very expensive one.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
Aby Q, Owner at Royal Sportsman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2017

Many thanks for taking the time to review your stay with us. We shall address each of your points individually.

Firstly, the gas heating comes on at 3pm and goes off at 10.30am. There is no point in us heating every room in the hotel before check in or after check out times. We always supply electric fan heaters for any guests that do feel the cold more than others (which are very efficient at heating the entire room in no time) and have roaring open fires in both our lounge and bar.

We are a Victorian Coach House and will never be a modern hotel - nor do we want to. All the public areas were refurbished in January this year with all the carpets replaced. The slate signs are in keeping with the style of our building and obviously a matter of personal taste.

We are delighted you found our cooked breakfast excellent. Our food is exceptionally good and it is a shame you didn’t dine with us the previous evening.

Reviewed 12 November 2017

Stayed in a twin room which was clean and very comfortable after a long drive. We ate in the bar, staff very friendly and the fish and chips I had were as good as any I have had.

We were leaving early in the morning and the hotel offered to make a packed breakfast without our promoting which was great and much appreciated.

All in all and very friendly and good value hotel

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
Aby Q, Owner at Royal Sportsman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2017

Many thanks for your glowing review. We are so pleased you found our rooms clean and comfortable and enjoyed our generously portioned, freshly-cooked fish and chips - perfect after a long drive. Our staff are friendly and always try to help wherever possible. We look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in the area.