All reviews hay on wye old building evening meal lamb beautiful building warm welcome poster bed room was clean and comfortable modern facilities old style breakfast was excellent tasty food sticky toffee pudding welcoming bar the en suite bathroom owners and staff original features
Reviewed 18 October 2016 via mobile

We were staying close by and just spotted the pub from the road. We had a lovely lunch (scampi, pie, sarnies etc) and the children played happily in the pub garden for ages. Friendly landlord. Very reasonably priced too.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank Loub2shoes
Reviewed 28 September 2016

Had a very pleasant one night stay. Very cosy atmosphere. The rooms were well appointed and clean and comfortable.The owners made us very welcome and would
like to return in the future.
The food was very good and well presented. Position of the inn was very peaceful
and ideal for travelling locally.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 September 2016

We went to the Rhydspence after hearing very good reviews from friends.
It really didn't fail to impress,really good pub grub at very reasonable prices (for this area!).Also the service was very efficient and we received our food almost straight away!.
We have already booked a table for a few weeks!!.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 September 2016

Fantastic. Friendly staff, warm, comfortable rooms and beautifully prepared food to your liking! Great steaks, recommend the Tournedos Rossini:mouth-wateringly good.
Great home cooked breakfasts and wide selection of local ales: try the local cider!
Brilliant, Mark, Lowri, family and staff doing all they can to offer a great experience.
Just loved the 14 century experience with early morning views across the misty Wye valley.

Stayed: September 2016
Reviewed 15 September 2016

Having read some of the other reviews on poor meals and poor service I have to say my experience was completely the opposite. When we arrived for our two night stay we were greeted in a friendly manner and told that the restaurant was full that night, but if we wanted a meal they would make a private section of the bar available and provide the full restaurant menu. I had the chicken stuffed with black pudding, wrapped in bacon with a blue cheese sauce. My Wife had slices of pork in an apple and cider sauce. Both meals were excellent and the service was good and friendly throughout, in fact although we later found out the restaurant room was very nice eating in the old part of the building made it a bit special.
Breakfast was our first opportunity to see the restaurant, which is in the 'new' extension. A large room very nicely decorated with smashing views of the Welsh and Herefordshire countryside. The breakfast menu was also good, everything was what you would expect to find with nothing unusual or weird, and we both enjoyed the cooked breakfast.
Our room for our two night stay was also in the 'new' extension. I say 'new' but it is still pretty old – probably Georgian or early Victorian – it's just that it's newer than the rest of the building by about 3 or 4 hundred years. The room (room 8) was clean and well appointed, and to me it seemed that it had only recently been refurbished and decorated. The en-suite bathroom was also clean and well fitted with a large shower. However I'm afraid to say the bed was not to our liking, it was so hard and neither my Wife or I had a good nights sleep – particularly on the first night. This was a shame as everything else was so good, and I'm sure the other beds in the inn are probably better. In fact we know they are because on the morning of leaving my Wife tested one in an empty room. The Rhydspence is a lovely old building in lovely grounds and it is obvious that the owners are working very hard to make a go of it, so I feel a little bad giving a less that perfect review, but we have to say it like we found it and the bed is a major component of a B&B.
We didn't say anything to the owners, maybe we should have, but we were only staying two nights and the inn was full so what could they have done. The other side of the coin is that we were never asked if we had slept well. Of course many people would like a hard bed, in fact we did mention it to the waitress at breakfast and she said she had slept in this room and preferred the firm bed, but she did have about 30 or 40 years on us.
I would suggest that the owners either change this bed or advertise it as an orthopaedic bed. It would also be a good idea if they enquired about the nights sleep and have a memory foam mattress topper available for those who wish for something softer. So I would have given The Rhydspence a 4 or maybe a 5, but because of the bed I have to knock it down to a 3.

Room Tip: Avoid room 8.
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple