“Lovely location, helpful staff, good price but poor food” 3 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Alverbank Country House Hotel
Ranked #18 of 20 Gosport B&B and Inns
UK
“Lovely location, helpful staff, good price but poor food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2011

I went here for a meal with a large group of friends from a club, so the social aspect was really more important than the menu. The location is lovely, particularly on a warm summer's day, with a view over the Solent from the grounds, where we assembled for pre-lunch drinks, and parkland behind. We ate in the marquee, which was attractively set out. The food was OK, and probably reasonable for the price we paid, but I'm not very keen on al dente potatoes, or summer pudding where the juice hasn't had time to soak into the bread. And terrible coffee. But on the plus side, the staff were charming, and it was nice to see the helpful work-experience youngsters from Bay House School being well trained. Would I go back? Possibly, if it were for a group function.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2011

My friend was getting married in Gosport, and because I waited too long to book a room at one of hotels, this was my only choice. They charge £45 per night, for a single room, which I find reasonable. The hotel looked quite basic from outside, and inside too. To be very honest I didn't expect too much, after all it is 3* hotel. I have been given a double room en suite, even though I have booked single. I suppose this was because my room wasn't quite ready when I have arrived, or maybe they haven't been fully booked.
I was very nicely surprised when I arrived into my room, well decorated, clean with enough storage units. I was very pleased as I have been upgraded to a double en-suite room. Bed was very comfortable, and sheets really soft. Breakfast in the morning very tasty and filling, and included in a price of a room. The only shame was I had to check-out by 10.30, and could really use a bit of more sleep, after I returned from my friends wedding before 1am.
Overall I think this is a very nice hotel, very easy to get to from Portsmouth Stations, as Ferry and Bus Stations are just outside. More difficult it is to get back, as busses are less frequent. If I will need to stay in Gosport again, I will definetely come back!!!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
Durham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2011

We had a very long trip to get to the hotel and were very dissappointed on arrival.
we attended a family wedding and the service itself was lovely. The food and the gardens were also very nice. However as a hotel i felt very let down.
The bedrooms were very outdated, small and moderatly clean.
The 'en suite', if it could be called that, was discusting and tiny. The toilet smelt, the shower was a warm trickle and there was no cold water from the cold tap, only warm!
The communal areas in the hotel at first looked rather quaint but as you look closer you can see the dust on the lampshades and the general tiredness of the decor- the whole place could use repainting.
I would not stay here again and could not believe the prices they are charging.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank anonomus_11

Travellers are raving about these Gosport hotels

Swansea, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2011

Went for a family wedding, the surroundings were very pretty, across the Solent from the Isle of Wight. As a wedding venue, it could not be faulted, great food etc, we had been booked in the cottage in the grounds, what a disappointment. Bedrooms just ok, kitchen facility and bathroom were a throwback to the seventies. Shower was the old type 'telephone' on the mixer tap, which went cold as you held it up! only half a toilet roll left for four adults and two children for an overnight stay. The kitchen had a kettle, which had to be pressed manually, as the switch was broken, no plates or cutlery. Ok, you don't always expect a kitchen, but our party included an eight month old baby, so we needed some facilities, and had planned a 'picnic' before the wedding, as our journey had taken over three hours. We were asked to vacate by 10.30 the next morning, as the next bride was booked into the cottage (hope she didn't plan a shower!) The reception the previous evening ended at midnight, and we were refused drinks, even though we were residents. Our party paid £200, no breakfast the next morning, as service was over at 9.00a.m. would definately attend a wedding there again, but book elsewhere to stay.

Room Tip: Book another hotel.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Brummiejean
Southampton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2011

I booked in to The Alverbank as I was attending a school re-union at Bay House School close by.
All four of us were told they had no reservations under our names even though we had booked a few months previously and had given our credit card details. After a long wait at reception and several people asking if they could help and then disappearing and not returning we were finally shown to our room which was definately NOT worth the wait.
It looked like it had been furnished from a car boot sale and the general decor was extremely tired to say the least. We marvelled at the pituresque view overlooking the hotels rubbish skips. The 'en-suite' wasn't big enough to swing a cat and the smell of raw sewage was overpowering, presumably due to the mascerator toilet. Every time we ran a tap or flushed the loo the stench of sewage filled up the room. We didn' t shower, wash or clean our teeth because we couldn't be sure what was coming out of the taps because of the smell. Have given service a score of two however because at least the staff were friendly.
Breakfast was ok but service was very slow.

Room Tip: Just don't go there
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
      Location
      Rooms
4 Thank Luli4
solent60, Owner at Alverbank Country House Hotel, responded to this review, 21 April 2011
Thank you for your review. As Directors of the Hotel we take all comments on board and are sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us. Due to the age and history of the building - 1842 we have no choice but to use saniflo systems in some of the bedrooms. However the interior decor is obviously personal choice and we cannot cater for all tastes. Rest assured your booking was on the system and I believe the reason for the short wait was explained to you on arrival....we look forward to welcoming you back should you visit Gosport in the future and as all the rooms were booked for the reunion we are shocked to read your individual review. If another room had been available we would have been delighted to move you.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gosport
0.7 km away
4.4 km away
Royal Maritime Club
Royal Maritime Club
#25 of 38 in Portsmouth

Been to Alverbank Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!