“Best Meal In Italy”

Ranked #3 of 9 Restaurants in Verduno
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 25 August 2017

Chef Franco and the folks at Il Falstaff cooked a meal for us in the hotel across the street (Locanda Dell’Orso Bevitore). They fed 23 of us, which included 9 kids. My son, who generally eats more bland food, loved the ravioli with a cream sauce. My 8-year old daughter got to help Franco prepare the meal, she helped for 3 hours, and now for Christmas she wants a pasta making machine. Maurizio, the server and sommelier, kept the festivities fun and made sure we sipped the best wine. Can't wait to go back and eat another meal.

Reviewed 16 July 2017 via mobile

When ordering the table, we were invited in by the chef, Franco, and because he was too occupied with preparing food for a friend, who had a lot of guests during the Collisioni Festival in Barolo.

We were invited down to his wine cellar to have a glass of his wine together with him. Super experience. The restaurant was by the way recommended by Christina Burlotto, who runs a B&B next door, where we stayed.

Anyway, two days later we went to the restaurant. The waiter, Maurizio, was as friendly as the chef and he took the time needed to explain the menu (no menu on paper, I guess). After greetings from the chef (tomato with cheese), two antipasti (fish and quail - the latter was absolutely great), and for the first course ravioli with three different kind of meat (including rabbit) and lasagna followed by the the second main we had lamb. At the end we ha two cappuccinos. As wine we chose the 2012 Barolo (Cannubi) from the producer "Comm. G.B. Burlotto". Yes, you are right. Produced by the family next door. The wine is absolutely excellent, but unfortunately impossible to buy anywhere.

Excluding wine, we paid EUR 55.- in total and this is definitely not expensive, the quality and whole experience taken into account.

Focused service all along. Maurizio also had some very interesting stories about "truffle"-hunting in real life. Super exciting.

This restaurant is highly recommendable and we will definitely go there again when we are in the neighbourhood.

Reviewed 4 June 2017 via mobile

We have been visiting the Barolo district 20 times the last 10 years and the dinner at Ill Falstaff was the best ever

Reviewed 22 December 2016 via mobile

I was staying in La Morra and asked for local dinner recommendations each of the first 2 nights I was there. This place was delightful--small, only 7 tables, tasty, and very friendly. Franco, chef owner, and Maurizio, server, spent time discussing food and wine for the evening. I had a local Barolo--2010 Barlotto Acclivi. Starters--tartare, light salad, & carpaccio. Next, special course containing tomato, potato, fish topped by some sprigs of a wiry veggie. It's delicious. Last dish a light pasta with fresh basil, tomato, and porcini's. As I'm leaving Chef Franco brings me a gift--a jar of home made seasonings he made and gives to friends and customers.
A very fine dining experience in rural Piedmont:-)

Reviewed 14 November 2016

My wife and I were driving around La Morra and decided to drive on a road that we were not familiar with. After 2 kilometers or so, I noticed a sign that said Verduno and decided to continue. At the end of the road there was a restaurant named Il Falstaff. Turned out to be the find of my culinary life.
The restaurant was usually closed on the day we stumbled upon it, but Chef Franco opened it for a loyal customer and we were greeted with opened arms by Maurizio. There was no printed menu, but our waiter and guide made us feel as if we were at home. Arneis and appetizers were fantastic and the entrees and Barbera were sublime.
This place was so good, I knew we would return.
We did, in fact, return a few days later because of the passion of Chef Franco and his artful attention to his glorious dishes.
If you want to experience the heart and soul of the Piedmont, please remember that in a small town called Verduno is a place called Il Falstaff, a Chef named Franco and a wonderful guide (and waiter) named Maurizio. The beautiful Beatrice was very helpful in describing all of the dishes. Can't wait to return.