We stayed here for two weeks in September 2011, for our honeymoon.
We had a sea view suite, which was nice, although the bathroom could have been better. We often didn't get hot water, unless we left complained or left the water running for a while.
The hotel had quite a few power cuts during our stay, but they didn't last for more than a few minutes at a time, so it was never a big problem.
We had a lovely welcome to the hotel and generally found the staff to be very personable, although clearly not fully trained.
Drinks were rarely chilled sufficiently, so you should ask for plenty of ice.
The food was good, we had a very nice buffet on the beach on several nights and the pizzas at the pool bar are the best I have ever tasted.
The entertainment was locally sourced and good.
The beach was lovely and it's nice to see the locals catching fish every morning. It was very quiet when we stayed, so we never had at trouble getting sun loungers.
It's worth going on a trip to Prison Island to see the turtles and it's also worth seeing the Red Colobus monkeys, which are indigenous to Zanzibar.
I'd definitely recommend this hotel, although there is room for improvement.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Unwind at DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Hotel Zanzibar-Nungwi, set on the most northern tip of Zanzibar in Tanzania. Feel valued and cared for on arrival with a freshly baked DoubleTree chocolate chip cookie. Relax in a spacious guest room with a private balcony and ocean panoramas or upgrade to a two-room suite and feel pampered with a 30-minute house massage, fully stocked mini bar, and daily fruit basket.Boasting a traditional Zanzibar style with Makuti palm leaf roofs, this Nungwi hotel offers spectacular sea views and direct beach access. Relax on pristine, white sand with sun beds and parasols and explore the tropical waters while scuba diving or snorkeling. Plunge into the outdoor, freshwater pool or sip on cocktails and fresh fruit juices from Dolphin’s pool bar. Continue your exercise routine in the modern fitness center or enjoy morning yoga on the beach.Savor innovative international and fusion specialties at Fisherman Bar & Grill before admiring the Zanzibar sunset and trying authentic Shisha aromatic tobacco. Enjoy traditional, live entertainment at Ngalawa Restaurant and savor delicious local cuisine next to the beach.Celebrate your dream wedding with stunning, exotic backdrops, host your special event on the beach, or choose from three flexible function rooms for your next corporate meeting of up to 100 guests. Stay productive in the well-equipped business center and enjoy complimentary parking and WiFi throughout the hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hilton EMEA, Booking.com, Agoda, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your DoubleTree by Hilton Resort Zanzibar - Nungwi reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Doubletree By Hilton Resort Zanzibar - Nungwi Hotel Nungwi
- DoubleTree By Hilton Resort Zanzibar - Nungwi Zanzibar Island