1,686 results
All reviews the main hotel infinity pool el conquistador water park palomino island private island bedroom casita north village manor house puerto rico ocean view chops full kitchen golf cart horseback riding three bedroom family vacation
Reviewed 30 November 2015

I waited to stay at this facility for a few years now as many neighbors have been and enjoyed it. The physical location and the accommodations at La Casitas are beautiful. However, this is not really a 4 star resort with a true concierge. My experience with the concierge was horrible ( see below). Let me write about the good stuff first. 1. Location...east of San Juan, near El Yunque, right on the water but the beach is on a private island off the coast. To get there you have a long walk to a funicular ( tram) and then a ferry ride...takes about 30 minutes total if there are not lines. Once on the island the beach is pretty and there is a roped off swimming area. They have a decent restaurant (Iguana cafe) there and amenities such as snorkeling, jet skis etc. There are also great hiking trails and horseback riding (need to book in advance usually). 2. Pools, the infinity pools is spectacular and I could have stayed there all day/night. we often swam there twice a day but unfortunately the towel service was slow and they were often out of towels, especially at night. Pools are open 24 hours/day. there is also a restaurant that will deliver lunch to you at the pool. Other pools are nice at La Casitas and there are the big crowded pools at the main resort hotel where there are many acitivities such as pool volleyball and a swim up bar, movies on some nights etc. 3. Water park... 3 slides and a lazy river is all there is. there are not enough inner tubes for the slides so my kids had to wait quite a while to get them. This is also extra $$ unless you book the package. it is also a long walk and Funicular ride from La Casistas. The bar/restaurant there only takes cash ( no one tells you that before you go, we just got luck that we had some on us). if you have little kids, it can be an all day event. My kids age 10 and 12 were bored after about two hours there. 4. Food. there are several choices. We ate mostly at Bella Vista Cafe and Caribe Cafe for convenience. Food was ok, but be careful of the buffets. they had a dessert crepe station set up at the buffet but it was $8 extra...Iguana cafe is decent if you are on Palomino island. we did not try any of the finer restaurants due to needing reservations and timing. there is a breakfast buffet at la casitas which is good also, not wonderful but good. 4. activities, book early as they get filled and the concierge does nothing to assist with this (such as a waitlist or having some spots available for la casitas guests like a finer hotel concierge would have). we did the horseback riding which was very nice on Palomino island. However, it was canceled once due to rain but no one notified us ( and our concierge told us to make the trip over because we would have been notified if canceled). The men who handled the horses were very nice and helpful. The views from on top of the island are not to be missed. 5. Concierge..if you have ever stayed at a finer hotel and used a concierge, be prepared..this is not the same. They do very little extra and in my case, were just awful. They did not help us figure out if horseback riding was canceled due to rain ( you would think that would be an easy phone call for them) and thus wasted an hour of our time making us go all the way over there and back to find out. They did not help when we wanted to do a day trip and it was booked, and told me I could go ask the activity desk myself to be put on a cancellation list! Finally I had to ask three times for my complimentary water bottles before they were delivered a day after we checked in. Finally, they changed the luxury van to an SUV for our return. Thankfully we had kids rather than a party of all adults so the kids did not mind climbing into the back seat. However, they acted like I was an idiot and said that a luxury van is an SUV (even though we had a very nice luxury van on arrival). The concierge service is awful I have had more helpful night clerks at the hampton inns than this group.

• Stayed: November 2015, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria
1  Thank Carolyn D
Maria V, Manager at Las Casitas Village, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2017

Reviewed 29 November 2015

This is my 3rd time in PR, my first at El Conquistador. I stayed at Las Casitas Village in a top floor 1-bedroom with small kitchenette. My unit had a hot tub on the patio, which was the side facing the nearby pool and cafe. The unit was ocean view, with a deck facing the ocean that provided some beautiful sunsets and wonderful full-moon viewing. I can't recommend this enough if you can get it -- ocean view is worth it. The strong wind and the gorgeous view can not be beat. The ten-minute walk to the funicular by the main hotel is very pleasant and a good outing--a nice opportunity to see the various pools and the beautiful landscaping. Many plants and trees are helpfully identified by plaques. Be patient during your stay here. Perhaps only one elevator is working. Maybe one of the two funicular cars is having its AC repaired. The ferry to the resort's private Palomino Island (definitely worth a trip) may be delayed. There's shade and a beautiful view. Just enjoy the extra time to appreciate it. DO: go to Palomino Island (but skip the horseback riding), try all the pools, stay at Las Casitas w/ocean view if you can, enjoy a drink at the Marina Bar before bed. SKIP: the food, in general. It is overpriced, unimaginative, and smacks of classic American cuisine. There are some exceptions, of course, but a trip into nearby Fajardo to sample authentic Puerto Rican meals is well worth the cab ride. You'll pay less and enjoy it more. We loved L'Estacion and DiYukas. Check out Yelp and Trip Advisor for help here. By all means, get off the resort to find good food. For breakfast, I recommend the cafe at Las Casitas. Not because the food is good. Not because they have a family of cute cats. Not because the buffet is a good value. The only reason to go there, and it's a good one, is Elaine Lopez. Sadly, El Conquistador has no formal mechanism for guests to recognize exceptionally good service (I asked). Elaine Lopez was my favorite staff member among a really good team of staff members. She works breakfast at Las Casitas. You'll know her by her big smile and excellent service. For lunch, I really liked another restaurant at Las Casitas -- Ventana del Caribe. It's hard to find, but worth the walk. Good food, great drinks. The mediterranean sampler is a good appetizer. I found the Tuna Pita to be just what I needed after a morning in the sun or on Palomino Island. Enjoy with caution: the trips and excursions. I wanted to go on the BioBay tour, and it was $30 less expensive at a tour company in Fajardo. Also, a very helpful staff member at the hotel tour desk (marina level) was honest about the visibility -- between the full moon and the debris in the water from recent storms, it really wasn't worth the $80. DO: Visit the El Kono food truck after you come back from Palomino Island. It parks right by the ferry. Terrific quick food; $10. Can't beat it If you haven't visited El Yunque, our only national park in a rainforest, you MUST go. I loved my stay here. I don't think I would have enjoyed it as much if I had stayed at the main hotel.

Hilton/Waldorf Astoria: Use more local ingredients! Where are the fresh tropical juices? Where is the authentic cuisine? Why have you not partnered with an innovative local chef to make your resort cuisine something to talk about rather than something to avoid?

Room Tip: Ocean View is worth it.
  • Stayed: November 2015, travelled with friends
6  Thank slodka

Reviewed 29 November 2015 via mobile

I stayed here with my family for 7 days and it was very relaxing and beautiful. I stayed at the villages which were decent. Wonderful staff safe environment and gorgeous views! But all the pool restaurants have all the same menus and there aren't really much things for kids to do except swim which is great but after a week it gets old for them but for the adults there are many bars and restaurants. I had a great trip and while u are there I would try every thing there because it is very fun. (Golf course is great but hard greens)

Stayed: November 2015, travelled with family
1  Thank Ashleigh B

Reviewed 29 November 2015

We had a one bedroom room and were traveling with our two kids. A storm was there the first 4 days so we enjoyed the scavenger hunt to pass the time. They also had movies and games to borrow. Once the sun came out we loved the beach. Horseback riding was very fun. The Water Park was definitely worth the money! We went a few times

Room Tip: Casitas is on a large cliff so all rooms overlook the ocean
  • Stayed: December 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 20 November 2015

We were given a room at Las Casitas at El Conquistador as a gift for our honeymoon. It was our first trip to Puerto Rico, so staying in a resort was a great introduction to the country. Every amenity is available, but we did run into a lot of restaurants and shops being closed because it was the slow season (November). The trade off was absolutely worth it however because with so few other guests we never had to wait in lines or for service. Our trips to Palamino Island seemed like we had a whole side of the beach just to ourselves. The funicular down to the marina was out of service for two days, but the hotel staff was quick to provide taxis and there was little interruption to service. If you are looking to spend time in San Juan or around the other cities on the island, keep in mind that a taxi starts at approximately $60 each way. Trips to Old San Juan are $90 each way, but car rentals are available as well. We hope to visit Puerto Rico again soon and will probably try a paradore or bed and breakfast for our next trip, but if we will absolutely recommend the El Conquistador to anyone considering the island.

• Stayed: November 2015, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria
1  Thank Caitlin R

Thank you for your Five Star Review!