“Crazy cheap and decent (though bumpy) voyage”
Review of Fajardo Ferry

Fajardo Ferry
Ranked #26 of 38 things to do in Fajardo
Reviewed 2 February 2018

I'm writing this for a couple of reasons.

First off, I think this ferry is like the misunderstood bully at school. He might act a fool and be a chump to other kids, but we don't know what's going on at home or what other emotional turmoil he might be facing.

Second, I benefited from what other people wrote here before my trip, so I figured I'd pay it forward.

Tip # 1: Go early. Like crazy early. Like so early it may not be worth going to sleep.

Thanks to previous reviews we read here, my friends and I opted to take the earliest ferry out to Calebra at 4 am on a transport ferry. We showed up at 2:30 am, bought a ticket immediately, chilled in line for an hour, and then boarded around 3:30.

Tip #2: Have someone with you that speaks Spanish well. Since this ferry isn't really for tourists (see note below), it makes everything bunches easier if someone in your party speaks decent Spanish at least for buying the tickets.

Tip #3: Pack food. We treated this like a camping trip and packed drinks and food. In a cooler (costs a little extra to board with one.) Not only did this make things cheaper, but it also was probably better food than what was being offered on the island.

Tip #4: Do you get seasick? If the answer to that is any form of "Yes", you might want to consider a plane. These boats, aren't very big, which means it's going to be a bumpy ride for about an hour and a half. People will vomit.

Special Note: I mentioned earlier my feeling that this ferry is misunderstood. I think that misunderstanding is rooted in that this is something more for locals than tourists.

Now that might make some people upset, but look: there's a more expensive ferry out of San Juan that's more tourist-friendly and there's planes you can take there.

This is a dirt cheap way that less-affluent Puerto Ricans can use to get to these islands for fun. It's only $2 each way. $2!!! In my opinion, that buys you zero entitlement. It's amazing to me that even pays for the gas. I paid about $60 to go to Catalina (a comparable distance) in LA on a worse boat.

11  Thank duncanrawlings

Reviewed 28 January 2018 via mobile

Tonight the ferry was on time and we were able to make reservations to go home! Some times the space in the ferry for cars is limited and reservations are sometimes hard to find or not allowed until the same day. Usually the airconditioning is on high at the ferry, so come prepared. Also if you decide to go for a suntan and you get lucky with a ferry where you can ride outside, bring some plastic bags for the wet seats if it has rained that day for some are hard to dry! Overall the ride is a very lovely one to Vieques, especially the morning trips! You should rent a car ahead of time in Culebra or Vieques and always... Plan for a Miracle!

Reviewed 27 January 2018

Keep thinking that when you get off the ferry, you will be on a beautiful beach, either on Culebra or Vieques, and it will all be worth it. Tickets are cheap, $1 for elders, $2 for adults, but getting them requires a disorganized wait that can be as much as an hour. The terminal was closed so waiting is not an indoor experience so be prepared for the weather. Boarding felt like being in a cattle herd, but we kept reminding ourselves the destination was worth it. The trip is about an hour. There are not frequent ferry crossings so heads up so you don't miss your ferry, especially the last one.

Reviewed 15 January 2018 via mobile

I love Culebra and have visited numerous times. I love the ferry. I have traveled their alone, with my mom, with my husband and with my children. I have never had a problem getting a ticket. The boat has always ran pretty close to on time. The 1.5 hour ride is beautiful, sometimes it has been a bit rough but never that bad in my mind. Yes, some people do get sick but they always have bags available. Just relax, get there early, drink a coffee and look at the ocean until tickets go on sale (usually an hour before). There is secure parking for $5 a day, I have never had a problem here either.