“THE WORSE”
Review of Fajardo Ferry

Fajardo Ferry
Ranked #25 of 34 things to do in Fajardo
Reviewed 18 August 2017 via mobile

This was absolutely a nightmare from start to finish. We were told by our excursion staff member to be at the Ferry by 8a. We stood in a hot line for 1 hour and 30 min. Then we sat on the second floor in the front. That was the worse decision ever. If you have motion sickness sit at the bottom back. That was a tip given by our tour guide. He was absolutely correct. In the front top it was agony. The crashing of the waves made me want to throw up. The 2nd floor is also FREEZING! The bottom floor back is warm. Going to the Island the cold air is welcomed because it's hot outside. But coming back after being in the water the air is too much. Sitting on the first floor also allows you to exit the Ferry quick. We were on the top level and it was at least 30 min wait to get off the boat. The best seats are the back lower level closest to the water cooler. It not easy getting out of the parking lot if you are last off the boat. Take your parking ticket with you so that you can pay the attendant before you get your car. I would be sure to bring sweat shirt and blanket just in case you get stuck upstairs. Summary, long lines, oh and you have to buy a ticket if you bring a chair, choppy ride, cold upstairs, long wait to get off the boat.

1  Thank Malissa T
in 16 reviews
"seasick"
in 27 reviews

Reviewed 17 August 2017

The ferry is an Adventure! The best way to get around to Vieques and Culebra And the VI's is to Fly or make a friend with a boat. A cheaper and riskier way is the Ferry. They have a reputation for Sloooow travel and Filling up but the truth is if you get there very early and can be patient, it can be a fun way to go with great sights along the way.

Reviewed 15 August 2017

I've used the ferry before to Culebra, but this latest experience was an absolute horrible nightmare There are absolutely NO tickets you can buy online direct from the ferry company. With that said, anyone claiming to be able to sell you tickets online is probably standing in line for these tickets, but I wouldn't rely on this. During my most recent trip in July, I had a group of 15+, so a few of us decided to arrive at the ticket terminal early enough to secure tickets for all of us. I arrived at 5am, only to be greeted with lines and lines of people and a security guard who said that all tickets to Culebra were gone as of 2am. WHAT? Apparently, anyone looking for a day trip to Culebra is bypassed by anyone with a reservation to stay overnight. In the summer when tourist season is high and all the locals are looking to getaway, this essentially means little to zero chances of a day trip to Culebra, unless you're willing to stay up all night and even this was no guarantee. I ended up waiting in line from 5am and getting on the ferry at 930am to the island of Vieques. Beautiful as it was, I wanted to go to Culebra so I could take my group to Flameno Beach. Honestly, the 4 1/2 hour wait just to get tickets and get on the ferry wasn't worth it. By the time we got to Vieques and took a shuttle to the beach, we only had about 4-5 hours to enjoy before having to be shuttled back to the ferry to once again stand in line.

In the future, I would suggest taking one of the small planes out of the airport and into Culebra. While I've never done this before, I hear that it's pretty inexpensive and honestly probably a better option than standing out in the hot humid air among hundreds of people waiting for ferry tickets.

3  Thank Jo J
Reviewed 15 August 2017 via mobile

Worst day of our 12 night vacation. Bought tkts @6:30 am and only return tkts back were for 8pm! UGH!!! Wanted to get back on 5pm ferry. (got up at 5:15am to get to pier) 9:00 am ferry didn't leave till 10:00. Just stood in line the whole time. Rented a golf cart ahead of time from Carlos Jeep rental- good idea. Need transport to Flamenco beach. Beach was crowded, no umbrellas or chairs for rent and HOT with no escape. Not much else to do on island....and that's the only real swimming beach. Didn't get back to Fajardo till 11pm....IF I could do it again I'd spend the money for snorkel/beach trip.

1  Thank Lauren S
See more reviews
Reviewed 15 August 2017 via mobile

If there is one place you have to go while staying in Puerto Rico is Culebra, however in other to get the you have to ways a 10 minutes flight if you can afford it or take the Ferry. We took the ferry and got there at 7:30am to get the 9am ferry and people were already there from 4am, that was insane. We were lucky cause we got the on a low season weekday however getting a ticket does not warranty that you'll take the boat. Also we didn't leave until 10am!!!! The little one were tired and so were we since we woke up "early". The organization from the ferry could improve so don't expect to much but, once you reach your destination it would all be worth it.