I suppose when people stay an something with the "Waldorf Astoria" title, they have high expectations. I came prepared, however. Waldorf Astoria that wasn't insanely expensive??? I was a little cautious. Holy smokes though, it was gorgeous! And the pools! And the size?!?! And the water park (for the kids, of course), and the view, and the great beds, and the golf course, and the private island??? We would have stayed an extra night but like a bonehead, I pre-booked another property for our last night in PR. My kids cried when I told them we couldn't go back to the water park. I was sad too.
The ONLY reason I wouldn't give these guys a 5-star rating is for the service. Holy moley...plan on everything taking three times longer. One person in front of you at check in? Yeah, took about 25 minutes. And it wasn't like they were understaffed. The front desk people were just sitting at their stations...think DMV, and you've got it pegged. 4:00 check-in guarantee? Nope. Said they would text when the room was ready? Nope. The bright spot of this hiccough is that when I approached them we ended up in a ground floor marina room, which I HIGHLY recommend. If you travel with two adults and two kids, as we do, they have a giant room, with a king-size bed, and a pull out couch with a memory foam mattress, nice! Oh, and the picture of the minuscule tv in one of the rooms is inaccurate. Our room had a 60" LED HD monster.
Lastly, if you get a room with a pull out bed, make sure you get housekeeping to come make the bed before bedtime. Room doesn't come with extra sheets.
So, getting down to brass tacks here, if you have the patience to wait for everything being on an island-time schedule, stay here. You owe it to yourself.
Don't read the non-elite reviews. Those people are angry for some reason! If you look at the elites, I think you'll see a different story painted.
EDIT- looks like this place is temporarily closed due to the recent hurricane. Hoping everything is OK down there and they are able to get back on their feet soon.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Award-winning oceanfront resort perched atop a cliff, overlooking Caribbean Sea on one side & Atlantic Ocean on the other. Check out the dramatic views, the private island, relaxing spa golf course or the water park - it's all part of this Caribbean paradise. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hilton Hotels Direct, Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- El Conquistador Resort, a Waldorf Astoria Hotel Fajardo
- Waldorf Astoria Fajardo
- El Conquistador Hotel Puerto Rico
- Conquistador Hotel Puerto Rico
- El Conquistador Puerto Rico
- El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort Puerto Rico/Fajardo